The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mickey Thompson new street tire

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
saw these on stang tv might have follow these if the price is right and the sizes are right
http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/wheels-tires/teaser-mickey-thompsons-new-street-comp-ultra-high-perf-tire/
 
Justin said:
saw these on stang tv might have follow these if the price is right and the sizes are right
http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/wheels-tires/teaser-mickey-thompsons-new-street-comp-ultra-high-perf-tire/

Nice! Keeping an eye on this for when my Pirelli's are gonna need replacing.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
If the price is right I will give them a shot. If not I will look at the Continental ExtremeContact DW as a replacement
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2012&pc=26598&counter=1&ar=35&rd=19&vid=020367&sw=false&cs=285
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Justin said:
If the price is right I will give them a shot. If not I will look at the Continental ExtremeContact DW as a replacement
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2012&pc=26598&counter=1&ar=35&rd=19&vid=020367&sw=false&cs=285

Consider the Michelin Pilot Super Sports over the Continentals. I've owned both, there is no comparison. The PSS's are in a different price bracket though.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
PeteInCT said:
Justin said:
If the price is right I will give them a shot. If not I will look at the Continental ExtremeContact DW as a replacement
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2012&pc=26598&counter=1&ar=35&rd=19&vid=020367&sw=false&cs=285

Consider the Michelin Pilot Super Sports over the Continentals. I've owned both, there is no comparison. The PSS's are in a different price bracket though.
yeah I want to get something that is decent but doesnt cost 500 a tire or more
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Have you priced the PSS's ? I used them on 18" wheels and they were in the $300 range, but never purchased 19" ones.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetailStaggered.do?2=2&mps=-50&yr=2012&pc=35277-34848&vid=020367&sw=false
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
No, that is a very good tire but is not the newest version of the Pilot series. The PS2's are being phased out and are available at a discount.I would choose them over the Conti's also, I just purchased a set for my son's car for track use .
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
alright thanks. hopefully I am far off from buying tires so I will just wait to see what comes of the MT's. Really just want something that will hook decent in a straight line on the street dont care to much how it corners I do care how loud the tires are though
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
If you are looking for bite coming out of the hole a tire with a 300 wear rating ma not be able to impress you much. Unfortunately there is not much of a tire selection unless you switch to 18" wheels. Wheels obviously come at a price but after a while the savings on the tires will more than pay for the wheels. I can get I can get a great track tires 4 about 300 to 350 dollars each in 18 inches. The stock Pirelli Corsas that came with my boss are over 600 dollars each delivered and they are no where as good as my Nitto NT-555R-II.
 
I have an anonymous source who confirmed that MT will soon be releasing a very exciting new tire. I might be able so get some "Track Testing Feed-Back" from some soon to be performed test sessions. For now here are the sizes that will be available. Looks like they had the BOSS in mind when they selected sizes.

235/55R17
245/45R17
275/40R17
225/45R18
235/40R18
245/45R18
235/50R18
245/40R18
255/45R18
275/35R18
275/40R18
245/40R19
255/40R19
285/35R19
245/45R20
255/35R20
275/35R20
275/40R20
 
Has anyone purchased the new Mickey Thompson's and if so what are your thoughts on them?

I'm in serious search for tires and keeping the stock rims. Looking for something that is mainly for driving the streets but an occasional a track day or two and/or autocross events. Also looking to keep the dollar amount within reason.

Right now with M/T's $50 rebate I can get a set for around $900-$925.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top