The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires installed and street tested

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys and Gals-

I had a set of M/T Street Comp tires installed. Stock sizes on stock rims. The bottom line is they are a great street tire. I was a little skeptical at first since the rubber compound feels "harder" to the touch than both the stock Pirelli and the Hankook V12's I've run in the past on my Boss 302. The tires are non-directional so they can be rotated side to side, have a tread wear rating of 300, and are rated to 186 MPH.

I've had them on for a few days now and the traction is excellent (AA). I have a certain 270* freeway on-ramp on the way to work that I can hit pretty hard and these tires really hooked up around the corner. Straight line traction is great as well. In all instances they are as good or better than the Hankooks that I removed to install these M/T's, with a slightly higher tread wear rating.

Mounting and road force balancing was done at Custom Alignment in Mtn View, CA. This shop is my favorite place to get tires mounted since they have very nice equipment that won't scratch the wheels, the road force balancing is a very nice feature, and the owner is a supporter of the Nor Cal Shelby Club. The technician who mounted the tires commented on how the road force balance on the tires is the best he's ever seen. They are very easy to balance right "out of the box." By contrast we had to rotate or clock the tires on the rims 2 to 3 times with the Hankooks before we were satisfied with them.

It will be Thanksgiving before I get a chance to take them to the track, and truth be told M/T is not marketing these as a track tire. However I am confident/hopeful they will perform well at the track. One advantage of being able to rotate side to side is some tracks really eat of one side or the other and you can address that.

If anyone has any questions I am happy to answer as best I can. In the interest of full disclosure, I did not have to pay for these tires. I was asked to evaluate them and post up my impressions on the forum good or bad. I was asked to write that "they suck" if they in fact sucked!

Andy 8)

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mickey-thompson-comp-285-35-19.html

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=StreetComp

street_comp.jpg

I run them too on my BOSS and I agree they are a great street tire. I am sure you also noticed how quiet and smooth they are too. Since I don't track my car I am really interested in your feedback once you try them at the track. Once word gets around I think that MT will knock it out of the park with this tire.

Another bonus that has nothing to do with performance of quality is that the smooth sidewalls are so easy to clean and the lettering is very attractive. Great for show-n-shine events.

do they drive as good the p-zero`s as in normal general speed limit driving and bumps?
any tramlining with them?

zero said:
do they drive as good the p-zero`s as in normal general speed limit driving and bumps?
any tramlining with them?

They drive great. I went thirty miles each way for two days this week to work and they are really nice on the driving. I kept trying to think of something bad to say about them and I just can't find anything. They behave like the PZero's in normal driving. They might give something up to the PZero's at the track, but I have to wait for Laguna Seca in Nov to find out for sure!

This sure sounds like a strong tire from everything I have read about it on a couple different forums. Can wait to try a set out. 8)

I was very impressed with the Michelin Pilot Sports that were on the Boss Track Attack cars at Miller Park. But of course they are also some of the most expensive replacements for a Boss on Tire Rack. Anyone tried out the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions?

jimprw said:
I was very impressed with the Michelin Pilot Sports that were on the Boss Track Attack cars at Miller Park. But of course they are also some of the most expensive replacements for a Boss on Tire Rack. Anyone tried out the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions?
Are they still using the PS2's? I have some PSS tires sitting in my garage and can't wait to burn up the stock Pirelli's to install them. The PSS tires are supposed to be better and less expensive than the PS2's althought fitment isn't exact.

Don't do the Potenza PPs. I had them on my Evo since I needed tires that day, due to damage and leaving for the track the next day and they were the best tire any of the local shops had in stock. They have a very squashy sidewall and are numb. I actually was wearing my SIDEWALLS at Thunderhill, even cranked up to 50 psi to try to stiffen them. Seriously, the Potenza on the side was wearing off. They also would skip when they lost grip instead of sliding. Worst tire I have ever had on the track, and were crappy on the street too.

That was 3 or 4 years ago, but I haven't heard about them making any real improvements.

I can't say for sure if they were PS2s. But they were quiet, even in hard cornering, and very grippy. Temp was about 78 degrees last Friday when I was there. I don't know how many miles (days) there were on my car, #16, but they were wearing even. My stock Pirellis are really noisy and I'm looking forward to replacing them - although not the $1K plus to pay for them! :-\

CaliMR said:
Don't do the Potenza PPs. I had them on my Evo since I needed tires that day, due to damage and leaving for the track the next day and they were the best tire any of the local shops had in stock. They have a very squashy sidewall and are numb. I actually was wearing my SIDEWALLS at Thunderhill, even cranked up to 50 psi to try to stiffen them. Seriously, the Potenza on the side was wearing off. They also would skip when they lost grip instead of sliding. Worst tire I have ever had on the track, and were crappy on the street too.

That was 3 or 4 years ago, but I haven't heard about them making any real improvements.
Thanks for the feedback...so I guess I better get the right mind set now that I'm gonna have to pony up for the Michelins and put up with my noisy stock Pirelli's until then...

jimprw said:
Anyone tried out the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions?

I have a set of S-04 Pole Positions. Decent tire on the track for me. Not as sticky as the P-Zeros though. I use them on the street only now. No real noise, wearing great and handle fine.

I had a chance to put the tires through the ultimate street test yesterday rolling with 2 500's a modded Z06 and something with an RS3 badge on it. ;)

The tires held their own very very well on some crazy tight switchbacks staying right with the Z06! Phil is an accomplished driver as well. He commented on how he has new found respect for the new Mustangs! He led, I followed, two 500's behind me, and a RS3 having trouble keeping up.. Awesome time. At the end we stopped in to a golf course for a beer ad some wedding party was taking pics.

039.jpg

032.jpg

023.jpg

And one of some model with my friend's '13.

015.jpg

BossJockey said:
Do you still like the MT Street Comps? How is the noise? My stock P-Zeros are quite loud now with 10k miles on them.

I still like them. I think noise is pretty subjective, so I can't really comment other than I haven't noticed them making noise. They've been doing pretty well in cold weather as well. Nothing is going to hook up well when cold but they do well enough.

I did take it to the local track and they did well, but not exceptional. But they're street tires so I won't hold that against them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amXMKMP8eMg&feature=share&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw

And here's the turn six fun with my friend Michael at the wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu-nMMbEvxw&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw&index=3

BossJockey said:
Do you still like the MT Street Comps? How is the noise? My stock P-Zeros are quite loud now with 10k miles on them.

My car is in storage for the winter and I now have about 2,000 miles on the MT Street Comps. They are very quiet and like others have stated, not a single complaint.

TMO Supporting Vendors