The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mid-Atlantic Boss: Building a Do-It-All Street/Track Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Title Edit: I might as well just make this a build-thread. I won't be able to leave well enough alone anyway...

A quick hello to everyone on the board. I purchased a slightly used 2012 Boss 302 about a month ago. I have a lot of autocross and track experience at VIR and Summit point in Subarus and BMWs. I sold off an e39 M5 and an e36 3-series track beater to fund the purchase of the Boss. Because faster, louder, and raw.

Here's a photo from a NASA autocross two weeks after purchase.
1383687_10201539694269452_1506719436_n.jpg

I'm signed up for Summit Point the first weekend of November so that's coming right up. The car is bone stock with the exception that I've ordered Hawk DTC-60 pads that should arrive monday, I have 2 liters of ATE Super Blue on hand, and my front tow loop from Blowfish Racing (thanks to pufferfish for the quick delivery).

Upcoming modifications I have planned for next season:
  • Boss 302R tubular LCAs
  • Team Dynamics wheels from Blowfish
  • NT05s or similar in a 295 square setup
  • Camber Plates
  • Track Time

I'm sure I won't stop there, but I'm looking to keep the Boss as a reliable daily driver/autocrosser/HPDE car. I've already picked up a lot of good tips lurking around this forum so keep up the informative posts guys, that's why I signed up!

Thanks,

Re: New Mid-Atlantic Boss Owner

Welcome!

good to have another mid-atlantic boss owner. The track day you've mentioned, is it NASA's fall finaleon Nov 2-3? if so, I'll meet you there!

That's the one! I'll be camping along the fence next to Timing & Scoring, feel free to drop by any time and say hello. I'm looking forward to geeking out over a new type of car!

RacerDuck said:
Upcoming modifications I have planned for next season:
  • Boss 302R tubular LCAs
  • Team Dynamics wheels from Blowfish
  • NT05s or similar in a 295 square setup
  • Camber Plates
  • Track Time
Don't forget the brake cooling ducts. For the tires instead of the NT05's consider the Hankook RS3's or BFG Rivals. Or better yet the NT01's which are now available in a 305 width.

Good call on the brake ducts, and I'll look into those other tire options. The Rivals have been getting a lot of good press. I might wait till I get my trailer hitch installed before I go with full R-comps though. How are the NT01s relative to Toyo RA-1s on our cars?

BTW, I installed my tow loop today and gave the Boss a bath. Had to shift the license plate bracket out of the way though. It couldn't clamp on in the same location with the new hardware in the way.

ytyruged.jpg

-Nick

Sent from the tiny computer in my pocket.

RacerDuck said:
Good call on the brake ducts, and I'll look into those other tire options. The Rivals have been getting a lot of good press. I might wait till I get my trailer hitch installed before I go with full R-comps though. How are the NT01s relative to Toyo RA-1s on our cars?
I have no experience with the NT01's or RA-1's to compare. The NT01's are used by several members and I've seen them in action. If I go R comps that's where I'm starting. If not I'll try the Rival's to replace my current Hankook's.

Your car looks fantastic!

RacerDuck - What part of Va are you from? Im just north of you in Md. Ill be at Summit this coming weekend for my first track day. Also it is probably a little bit late, but check out big mikes auto parts (http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts.com/Ford-Lincoln_c3.htm).

Ive got the team dynamics wheels from Blowfish on my car, they have been great

Im licking the square set up

Like the previous guys have said, get the brake ducts done as your first mod or youll kill the rotors and pads which is then another thing you've got to research and purcahse

big red one said:
...Im licking the square set up...

I personally do not recommend licking your wheels, unless you like the taste of brake dust :p

RacerDuck, you ready for the weekend?!
I've been in DC with work, haven't had the chance to prepare the car yet. It's going to be another last minute preparation :eek:

Car is as ready as it's gonna be. Brake fluid has been flushed out with Super Blue. I'll swap pads when I get to the track. My problem is I haven't prepped me! Nothing's packed yet for tools, gear, etc. Guess I'll be getting all that together tomorrow.

-Nick

RacerDuck said:
Car is as ready as it's gonna be. Brake fluid has been flushed out with Super Blue. I'll swap pads when I get to the track. My problem is I haven't prepped me! Nothing's packed yet for tools, gear, etc. Guess I'll be getting all that together tomorrow.

-Nick

Nick, I was told about this event by a buddy of mine who races in a BMW club. I have never attended any events before, and I'm looking to come as a spectator. I'm planning on driving my C/O Boss 302 up, mind if I stop by and say hey?

Ben

First track weekend was a raging success! "Effortlessly fast" was quote I thought most applicable to how the Boss performed all weekend. That was from a NASA instructor friend that rode shotgun on Sunday.

Here's video of my quickest lap of the weekend. Mentally, I was in "full attack mode" that session and was passing everything in front of me. There was more potential speed to be found later in the weekend when I was more comfortable in the car and cranked down the shocks some more. But I made a mental note to take it easy and back off a bit. Next spring when I'm out with better tires and camber plates, I'll see what it's really capable of.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/7dA7PPLuec4[/youtube]

Nice driving Nick!
I have to pick-up a few things from your video, and push a little.

Here's my video, any tips will be appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKmx5e0-Hbo&feature=youtu.be

F.D. Sako said:
Nice driving Nick!
I have to pick-up a few things from your video, and push a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKmx5e0-Hbo&feature=youtu.be

Nice video and great driving! I was mesmerized by your cross dangling back and forth from your mirror, it puts things in perspective on how hard you were cornering! Thanks. Plus I'm waiting for some paint to dry and needed to kill some time. :p

Chris

Noellenchris said:
Nice video and great driving! I was mesmerized by your cross dangling back and forth from your mirror, it puts things in perspective on how hard you were cornering! Thanks. Plus I'm waiting for some paint to dry and needed to kill some time. :p

Chris

haha thanks!
Ya, the cross acts as my "G-meter" at the track. The in-car video makes things seem slow, or I'm really just slow lol.

It looks like you're using all the track so that's good right there. Something you can try that I was playing around with, go into 4th gear between 8 and 9 so you don't have to shift right at the exit of 9. I found I was carrying more speed (practically hitting the limiter) when I had to break for 10 that way. It might not help, but it's something to try out for a lap or two.

Also, I can't really tell when you're on throttle or breaking, but any time you have traction you should be accelerating. Then brake hard to get back to cornering speed. Even on the short straights between corners like 5-6, 7-8. I'm guessing you may have enough tire to keep on the throttle from 7 all the way through 9 but you be the judge of that. My P Zeros didn't have enough grip to corner and accelerate at the same time through there.

-Nick

F.D. Sako said:

Sarkis, you asked my friend so here goes - I am far from an expert and due to the position of the steering wheel spokes I don't keep my hands at exactly 9 and 3 but you have to keep your hands in the same place. If you get into a loose situation in one of the turns and you have you hands at 9 and 3 relative to the car while the wheel is completely turned you will not be able to correct the car and chance even making the situation worse.

This is one of the great things about setting the camera where you can view what you are doing out there. It helped me immensely at first clean up a few (many) things even if I still do make mistakes. One thing I was taught was keep you hands always on the wheel in the same place and act like the shifter is on fire. Still sometimes on long straights I leave my hand on the shifter for two gears. Even did it this weekend but I did think about watching my vids and have started to correct this.

TMO Supporting Vendors