The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Mid-Life Mustang Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome from and ex-Kansan ( now Nebraskan ) and you should consider calling in sick this coming week and head up to Hastings,Nebraska for the Mustang Roundup. You can still sign up and get some track time and instruction and .........partying with fellow Mustang maniacs and Ford Engineers.

Check out www.racemph.com for the Fast Fords and Mustang Roundup. I will be in your next of the woods for the NASA Central Region Championships at Heartland Motorsports Park ---next to last week of October. Be another good time to get in an HPDE in Black Beauty.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Topeka, KS
Welcome from and ex-Kansan ( now Nebraskan ) and you should consider calling in sick this coming week and head up to Hastings,Nebraska for the Mustang Roundup. You can still sign up and get some track time and instruction and .........partying with fellow Mustang maniacs and Ford Engineers.

Check out www.racemph.com for the Fast Fords and Mustang Roundup. I will be in your next of the woods for the NASA Central Region Championships at Heartland Motorsports Park ---next to last week of October. Be another good time to get in an HPDE in Black Beauty.
That looks like a good time up there but we'll be away on a short vacation this coming weekend. I'll look a little more closely at the NASA event. I wasn't aware that they did HPDE at these events. Thanks for the heads-up on those!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Honestly, NASA arguably has the best HPDE structure for teaching track protocol, techniques, awareness, etc. and it establishes a solid ladder to step into Time Trials or Full Race Competition right within their organization. The HPDE system at NASA starts with Level 1 going all the way to Level 4 with Instructors , a log book to assist with your advancement and areas to work on, and it goes at your own pace. The best item is if you want to do Time Trials you have to get a check ride with a different Instructor , since you can pass folks on the track anywhere and it is nice knowing your fellow drivers have passed the same standard. Some groups just have you run a few events and then you get a Time Trials license, and frankly I have questioned some of the drivers abilities to advance that quickly -- though there are some. The ladder system , within the NASA Club means you can get all the way to a full race license within the group and it is not necessary to go to a Pro Racing School ( though those are also beneficial for long term coaching and race education) .

Many find the log book structure in NASA a great tool to see what they need to work on as well as making them conscious of what is needed to go fast. The best item in my opinion is that after each run group you have a short meeting to discuss any problems , if any driver is not driving aware or dangerously, along with positive comments on the group. Fun time and like any sport the way to improve is through Instruction and Coaching regardless of your experience level.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel