The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mid Ohio Trans-Am SGT report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Buford, ga
We skipped Laguna and Lime Rock due to other commitments and distance from the shop in Charlotte, plus we needed some time to get a handle on some of the teething issues we were having... to re-cap issues:
  1. Mixture going rich to 10.6:1
  2. Traction control interfering, even with the dyno plug out and the advancetrac turned off
How much was the TC intervening? How about a set of rear race pads in 1 weekend. How about enough that pad transfer was causing a severe vibration in the rear brakes.

Fixed the mixture issue and picked up about 30-35 RWHP with a tune from our friends at Palm Beach Dyno, they worked with us on some baseline and data gathering to come up with the proper parameters. She made 520 rwhp on the Sonoco 98 spec fuel.
After some fiddling, we finally pulled the ABS fuse to completely get rid of any intervention.

Results are we're getting closer! Power was sufficient to effectively match straightaway speeds with the Billy Griffin's GT4 Mustang, GT4 M4, Audi R8, and the 2 Porsches. We managed to get to the High 1:32's on way old tires. Full lap times don't reflect the potential because we had another issue crop up, low voltage.. We believe the zero gravity ultra light battery (7 lbs) isn't compatible with the charging system and the voltage drops through the race, causing misfire codes. If anyone as experienced the same, would love to hear your advice.

We were able to make some strides in handling balance and shock settings, but there's a so much to try on that front. But, we're charged up that the car has proven last weekend that it WILL be competitive.

Onward with development!

Scott

loads of pics here... https://gotransam.com/photos/2021---05---Mid-Ohio/15172

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I looked for you guys this past weekend at Road America. I guess you didn't make it. Hows the car development coming?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Buford, ga
I looked for you guys this past weekend at Road America. I guess you didn't make it. Hows the car development c
Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, we skipped also RA. But we will be at the Glen.. we need to get a few test days under our belt to really learn the shock controller and find the best setup.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
No worries, good luck at the Glen.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel