The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mike Maier tubular tension links? Anyone with experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am running stock Ford tension links with Cortex sphericals now. My issue is the Ford ball joints. This is going to be a science experiment, and a major contributing factor is the ability to rebuild these tubular arms with replaceable spherical/pins assemblies.

The Cortex stuff works, and if I could replace the ball joints on my current arms I would have gone that route.

Here are the Maier Racing tension links. Will install either this week, or next week when the temperature in my garage is not backing.
IMG_3560.JPGIMG_3561.JPGIMG_3557.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3558.JPG
    IMG_3558.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3559.JPG
    IMG_3559.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 96
Okay, arms have been on the car for the better part of this week. I have driven it a few times, and the largest improvement is in the solid connection on the front hub. The stock arms were set up with the Cortex Racing Mono-balls, but the ball joints at the hub were thrashed. I can take one of the stock arms, and the ball joint flops around with no resistance.

The previous alignment had to be checked, and the largest deviation was in the toe. These arms tightened up the front end, and they can be rebuilt at both ends. I still have the Cortex Racing equipped stock arms, but, have not been able to source replacement ball joints.

I should be on the track in October, and will have a more detailed report after.

You will notice the stock brake cooling fins are not present on the Maier Racing arms. There are no mounting points for the cooling fins. I do have a brake cooling set up on the car, that is being fed from the stock fog light locations on the front lower grill area.

I have a set of Mike's arms ready to go into my GT. Mike was explaining to me that one of the good things about this set up is the ability to use high end ball joints and with the use of spacers on the ball joint shaft you can change geometry to adjust for wider track at the front etc. And the weight.

Monaca Pa
CA75EDED-4575-40E6-8C6F-4618416F3AF9.jpeg Can I make a suggestion to you about how you saftied your castellated nut with a cotter pin. You need to add washers under the nut so the cotter pin goes into the slot for pin to do its job.

JeffV8, thanks for the catch on the castellated nuts. I had a shop perform the installation, and did not pay close enough attention. Fortunately, the car is on jack stands in my home garage for a clutch line upgrade, and some exhaust work. So, you spotted something I can add to the work list. I will follow up with the shop as well.

Thanks

TMO Supporting Vendors