The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mileage and Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmws52

2012 Boss 302 PW
2012 here and at 15k miles the trans went. I got the car with 12k miles on it. It was replaced under warranty. Car was completely stock. 18.6k miles trans went again at 1000tq. Go figure. Other than that car has been great!

I've got about 12,000 miles on my 2013. I've broken a drive shaft and had the rear end gears changed because I couldn't stand to listen to the whine any more. I have also had to replace the battery and one Tire in the first year.

My 2012 has 23k which most of these miles are DD activity with some sprited miles to include the Dragon's Tail. I had to replace the leaking rear wheel axles seals myself because I have zero faith in warrenty repairs because of wide spread dealer incompetence.

Tim

2012 with 50,000 all street daily driving. Blown engine at 20,000. Warped head causing #3 cylinder to fail. Replaced under warranty. Uses a little oil while driving it hard. This was with the original engine and the new engine. Replaced the battery at 40,000.

Hambone said:
2012 with 50,000 all street daily driving. Blown engine at 20,000. Warped head causing #3 cylinder to fail. Replaced under warranty. Uses a little oil while driving it hard. This was with the original engine and the new engine. Replaced the battery at 40,000.

Hambone - just curious. Did Ford give you an explanation for the warped head? Did you ever know of the car overheating?

A little worrisome. I saw upper 230's for temps at the track once.

I had a bad head on my 2011 F150 5.0L at 60K miles. Passenger side, I believe it was with the #6 cylinder. They said there was no compression left and had to replace under warranty. I think there were some isuues with the truck 5.0, as I googled it and there were others with the same issues.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Had mine for three years now and 6400 miles. I've had my CPU replaced under warranty, that's about it. Did have an aftermarket driveshaft issue that's been remedied. And now that the warranty is done, I have a small bubble issue on the strip on the passenger side near the wheel well.

Hambone said:

Was this an early build Boss? I heard some talk about early build boss engines along with oil use.
What number is your Boss?

coboss said:
Hambone - just curious. Did Ford give you an explanation for the warped head? Did you ever know of the car overheating?

A little worrisome. I saw upper 230's for temps at the track once.

I did some research after the dealer was dragging his feet and found that they knew of an issue with certain engines being built with the wrong torque spec on the head causing the issue I had. I did not have any heating problems. My build date was 9/9/2011 and the # is 1952. I do know of a few other cars blowing early on but I believe they tracked there cars so it happened earlier on at low mileage. I tend do drive like I am on the track some times. It came with a red line so I use it. I seem to burn about a 1/2 quart of oil every month(1200 miles).

Bay Area
So far I have about 30K and I have had a dead battery (apparently its common) paint issue on the inner fender wells, & when I first got it I had my check engine light come on while I was driver her hard and far away from home. It was a simple fix, the radiator cap was bad. Do rear tire problems count also? ;D

GottaBoss said:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the front-end control arm grunt/squeak noise issue. Anyone have it?

I have it, it only presents itself on speed bumps... with all the gear noise i got, that's a miner, negligible noise for me :p

30,000 miles and only had the transmission rebuilt when I was at 5,000 miles due to syncros being messed up between 5th gear and 6th gear. Rear diff leak around 20,000.

Other than that.....no other issues!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I had both front LCA's replaced in October 2014, both Arms and they came with new bushings and lower ball joints. Plus alignment with a little exter negative camber thrown in. She tracks straight down the freeway.

Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel