The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Miller Motorsports School Car #29

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Although I've been doing track days since the mid-80's, they have always been with my street cars. Many bone stock without any of the desired mods.

Back in June of this year, I was having a discussion with my brother Michael McGuirk, talking about cars as usual, and the subject of a track car (specifically my desire to have a track only car), and what car I should look for to start a build.

During this time Michael had also been talking to Darrell Anderson at AV8 about car stuff when Darrell told him that he had one for sale. Michael quickly called me, I quickly called Darrell, then reported back to the Mrs that evening, to which she enthusiastically green lighted the purchase, and by the next day, the deal was done.

Darrell had acquired the last seven of the 2007 school cars, and this was the last of the group that he had planned to keep for himself but then decided to a full monty build on the S550 platform.

The first picture was from the day we purchased it. Since then, with the help and guidance of Kevin Patten and Sal Molinare aka Fabman (SpecFab), we have made performance and safety upgrades....(with more to come...isn't there always more?!)

Our first two track days with it were at Sears Point during the NorCal SAAC / Team Shelby Nationals in August, then two days at Thunderhill during the NorCal SAAC Fall classic, and this past week at Laguna with SpeedSF.

I am absolutely thrilled to have this in the toy box, and looking forward to many more track days in the future. Next will be Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in March during the Shelby Bash.

Motor on!

IMG_4602.JPGGBMB4852 (2).JPGGBMB5487 (2).JPGGBMB6357 (2).JPGGBMB6294 (2).JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I had the pleasure of sharing the track with Tommy at the Shelby bash on his first time out with the car. (I was driving a spec mustang) Tommy is actually quite a good driver.

Tom, looking good. I'm considering going this route sometime in the future. Seems crazy to beat up my nice street car when a nice used race car would be just as fun.

Not exactly on the same thought process but that's why I have my Boss for nice weather driving days and my 4WD truck for everything else.....Son caught on and has his BMW M3 and Jeep Wrangler.....snow is surly coming.

Tom, looking good. I'm considering going this route sometime in the future. Seems crazy to beat up my nice street car when a nice used race car would be just as fun.

Thanx Rick,

I throughly enjoyed the B2 when we had it, but it was a numbers game...too many cars, too many expenses, so we sold it. That left me to beat on my KR, and with some of those parts becoming unobtainium, I just wasn't comfortable driven it anymore.

This car basically fell into my lap, perfect timing, couldn't be happier.

Don't have the power as the other cars i've driven, so learning to keep the momentum up has been a fun learning curve. Just need more seat time!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since I keep seeing the Boss 302s I was a dolt not to buy , the full race car machine constantly pulls at me and makes me wonder if I need to just go that route -- but then I would have to sell the GT350. Dang , tough decision, but I sure respect you going the Full Monty and great looking white Beast. You will forever be 29 ----- heh, sounds good to me since I just turned 66 , ha.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Braunfels, TX
Great looking car, Tom! I wish my '66 GT350 looked that good.
On Oct. 13, 2017, I bought FR500S chassis #13 from NOLA Motorsport Park. It was one of 14 (I believe) purchased by them in 2014 from Miller. As a relative newbie to driving on track, I have a question for you and Fabman (and anyone else who might have experienced my braking problem.) I get a few laps of pure driving excitement, then some steering shake creeps in during hard braking. Then it progresses worse and worse and I have to pull in the pits. I've replaced the rotors and pads (PFC brand) and flushed and bled the brakes with Motul RBF600. If I'm simply overdriving the ABS, then how can I find the threshold? If there's more to it, I'd really like to know what it could be.
PS - here's what it looked like right after I bought it in 2017. I've since removed all the NOLA logos. They were EVERYWHERE!
No 21 2.JPG

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You have checked the hubs also, I assume? Asking as sounds a bit like an issue I had last year , though not as severe as yours. Left front hub was bad!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Funny two spots back I noted I would have to sell the GT 350 and that full blown Mustang race cars were pulling at my heart strings -------looks like postings like the ones in this thread threw me over and the GT 350 is gone , and the Boss S is taking up it's space in the garage, ha. This Forum does build on racing desires and levels of commitment, ha.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Funny two spots back I noted I would have to sell the GT 350 and that full blown Mustang race cars were pulling at my heart strings -------looks like postings like the ones in this thread threw me over and the GT 350 is gone , and the Boss S is taking up it's space in the garage, ha. This Forum does build on racing desires and levels of commitment, ha.
Welcome to the dark side.....muhahahaha.....

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Been there before , just realized I needed to come back full tilt boogie -----Time Trials were fun but wanted to get back to the fun of Spec Miata or Viper ( ITE ) ! Running NASA now, and not much SCCA.

well..I think Phoenix still has the last pro race winning Boss 302 in their garage, it has run everything from IMSA to PWC to Trans Am to SCCA T1, and Gt2 and has only ever lost 1 race, when the trans broke at Sears Point. That car has more lives than a cat.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Braunfels, TX
You have checked the hubs also, I assume? Asking as sounds a bit like an issue I had last year , though not as severe as yours. Left front hub was bad!
Hubs are good, unless I'm missing something. Everything's firm and tight.

TMO Supporting Vendors