The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Minor Gripes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, Had the Boss for the Summer and a few gripes about the car in general, anyone else have a wish list of what Ford should have done: I got mad at GM for the poor quality of my new 2008 vette and dumped it a year later. Love the Boss but getting cranky about little things in my old age.

1. No Leather Seat option, Really Ford why not?
2. No Satellite Radio Receiver, really pissed me off since the rental cars have it
3. Piss poor shifter, OK follow the MGW thread and will fix, but really, why not do it right the first time?
4. No spare option, not interested in going cross country with a can of fix a flat.
5. No rear floor mats and really lame fronts.
6. Home link option, again why not? don't we park these things in the garage too?
7. Ford Synch, how about pulling this POS out and giving us a satellte receiver?

OK I know everyone raves about the boss, but for the money spent, just a felt like we got taken advantage of a bit when the base stangs come with these things......

Anyone else finally over the honeymoon phase?

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Got exactly what I expected with #1804.

My other cars have Sirius, homelink, leather, yadaa, yadda, yadda.

I am 100% happy with the content level of my Boss.

The BOSS is a special car. Did a lot of research before i bought Looked at others (Camaro's, Challengers) almost bought a GT500 (2nd choice). The only gripe i had with the car are the wheels and the mufflers. Took care of the mufflers and looking at wheels. I like the stripped down bare bones effect. Ford for the most part did it right.

The Boss was built and marketed as a “bare bones” race car for the street.

I got exactly what I wanted……

Sorry you didn’t get what you wanted; I’m hoping this doesn’t sour you on Ford.

Boss_302 said:
The Boss was built and marketed as a “bare bones” race car for the street.

I got exactly what I wanted……
I agree, it's a Porsche GT3 RS on a budget and I wouldn't want it any other way. Well maybe a better clutch/tranny. ;)

dscowan said:
Ok, Had the Boss for the Summer and a few gripes about the car in general, anyone else have a wish list of what Ford should have done: I got mad at GM for the poor quality of my new 2008 vette and dumped it a year later. Love the Boss but getting cranky about little things in my old age.

2. No Satellite Radio Receiver, really pissed me off since the rental cars have it
3. Piss poor shifter, OK follow the MGW thread and will fix, but really, why not do it right the first time?
4. No spare option, not interested in going cross country with a can of fix a flat.
6. Home link option, again why not? don't we park these things in the garage too?
7. Ford Synch, how about pulling this POS out and giving us a satellte receiver?

OK I know everyone raves about the boss, but for the money spent, just a felt like we got taken advantage of a bit when the base stangs come with these things......

Besides the MGW Shifter fix, all your points are inexpensive to fix.

I hear you on the lack of luxuries, but they put the money where it matters.

And really, what are your other options for $50k? You can get the Audi RS5 with boring AWD and leather, navigation for $80k.. or the Mercedes C63 AMG.. for $75k, or the M3 for same price.

The way I see it, America is a beautiful country to live in for being able to buy 444hp for $50k =)

I agree with coboss. The gt 500 is the car you need. But all those things come at a weight cost. The boss was always a strip down model with good hp and some handling. I was also looking at gt 500s until I studied up on the boss.MadDog

Sesshomurai

Some of my thoughts!

dscowan said:

It's because the boss is meant to be more track raw. And luxury leather would also raise the price point of the boss. The shelby is the "stylish" street muscle car.

Again, the boss is really a track car that you can sometimes drive on the road. First purpose is performance not DD comforts. In order to cram all those performance mods on the car for sub $42k, they had to oust all the daily driving comforts.

Yeah, it seems this might be the case. Odd that motorweek said it was the best shifter they ever seen. Thought that was funny. Its ok for DD, but needs replacement for track use.
YMMV.

Yeah, once the car's purpose in life is track first, then road, these things get removed from the equation.

Wait, there's a rear seat?!?

Or in a trailer.....DD comfort again.

I think you can add the easy listening music aftermarket. For me, the engine is all the radio I need!

It depends on what you appreciate about the car for the price. It's not that they took advantage of you, its that they expect you not to care for those comfort items.
This is a track car you can graciously drive on the road! :)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
You really were in the market for a GT or a GT500. Outside of the shifter, everything else does not belong in a track car.

MA
You should have bought an M3.

You bought a purpose built car, not a luxury cruiser.

I am in the minority which thinks the stock shifter is awesome! lol I love it. Only gripe I have is not having enough time to enjoy my car.

I agree with you on the shifter gripe, but not anything else. Most of your gripes seems to have to do with a lack of available electronic "bells & whistles" options on the Boss. If that's your priority, why did you buy a Boss and not a GT500? Or a 'Vette, Challenger or Camaro?

The Boss is not a track car that can be driven on the street, it is a street car with racecar flair. The lack of options probably has a few reasons, one being that making them all the same keeps costs down and the other major one is probably pure "it's a racecar" marketing. Like how the Evo RS had no AC. no radio, no electric locks so they could advertise it as a racecar. They also assume the majority of buyers either wouldn't care or would just pay to add it aftermarket. Look at the 302S, that is a racecar, and compare the difference in things that would still allow it to be street legal most obviously the suspension and tranny.

That all being said, they were advertising it as a racecar and made no secrets about the stuff it lacked. I am satisfied with the content level, as far as creature comforts, and would actually have liked it a little more raw. But that is my bad for not ponying up for the LS with the more aggressive suspension tuning.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
dscowan

why did you buy a BOSS? I would like to hear why and what you like about it...

My only gripes:

I feel they should have clear coated the stripes and gave us a flat bottom leather wrapped stearing wheel.

Thanks.

I only wish the window switches were in the center console like my M3 had. Your right hand is always there shifting anyway, so its easier to work the windows.

I'm happy with the car...its exactly what I wanted and thought it would be. I agree it was marketed as a purpose built track car that you could drive on the street. So I think its a "less is more car". I think if you wanted some amenities or luxury car items there are other mustangs out there that will fit the bill. My only gripe is the quality of the paint job. Seems to be others have had that issue as well with either some small bubbles or imperfections in the paint. Other than that, its the best Mustang I have ever owned and I've had a few.

Pop open rear windows, like my E30 coupe has, would have been a great addition even if just for increased flow on hot track days. There is an electric kit, but I rather have ones with a manual handle.

No gripes at all...just driving the heck out of this car every chance I get. Son had it up to 120 mph on the interstate yesterday... I warned him to keep it under 80 From now on! Over 80 is not a speeding ticket but an arrest for reckless driving in Ct. They impound the car & the driver has to get bailed out. Not a pretty picture, especially insurance wise.

For me: It's more than what I expected!

Coming from the 60's and 70's where some of us dreamed of owning Muscle Cars without all the frills like the original Boss 302 and COPO Chevelles and Camaros (can I say those words here?), this car is exactly what I wanted.

I added the Ford Sirius only because I picked the car up in Orlando and drove home to DFW. In reality, I hardly listened to radio at all during the trip; i enjoy the engine/exhaust sounds much more. Didn't care about the no spare either, we have the Ford Road Service # if we need it.

Nav system? Got it in the truck. Used the Sync a few times and worked great; but generally don't even need that.

Leather seats? I'm enjoying the cloth Recaros way too much to care.

Home Link? I'm using the clip on remotes on the visor; better than having to get out and manually lift up the garage door like back in the 60's and 70's (I guess us old farts are getting on the younger guys nerves; no offense, it's just the "when I was your age, kind of stuff)

Floor mats? yes, they are real pitiful; but, my kids bought me the Boss 302 Mats from Lloyds.

Shifter? Really haven't had a problem. Missed a couple shifts, mainly downshifting from 6 going into 3 instead of 5; Power Shifting? Haven't missed one, even had my wife laughing tonight on the Red Key ride home from the movie.

I'm completely satisfied; got exactly what I was looking for.

Old School stuff works for me.

I like the way the cloth Recaro's keep my butt from siding back and forth while going through the switch backs. My bimmer has leather and I slide around a little in those.

TMO Supporting Vendors