The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Misfire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Japan
Hi guys. I have 2013 model BOSS 302.
Recently, the vibration during idling has been increasing intermittently.
The engine warning light is not lit.
I saw the OBDWiz and the misfire counter. Is this counter count bad? (This data is from 6 miles)
Do I need to replace the ignition coil?

7900E71D-B6B4-4C0A-8CD7-21195E6032A8.jpeg

E4FFAC1D-3C9E-4D89-8F2C-C46195858CBA.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you think there are many misfire counters?
Not my end of the business, I'm not sure how many "counts" matter, it seems like one would be too any, especially if it's noticeable. Normally you get a single cylinder misfire, change out that coil, and go on your way.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Japan
Not my end of the business, I'm not sure how many "counts" matter, it seems like one would be too any, especially if it's noticeable. Normally you get a single cylinder misfire, change out that coil, and go on your way.
Okay ... I'm worried because coils aren't cheap at all.

You can attempt to reset the idle calibration by performing the following sequence:
1. Engage the parking brake (サイドブレーキ)
2. Start the engine and let it idle until it is at operational temperature
3. Allow the engine to run at operational temperature for at least one minute
4. Then turn on the Air Conditioner (A/C) and let it run for another minute (since the computer wants to see the associated drag from the A/C to learn correctly)
5. Release the parking brake and drive car for about ten miles

If that doesn't work, you can clear the data and then move the coils around to see if the issue follows. If you're buying more than 6 coils (at about $60-per), it's less expensive to get the Ford Performance set of 8, part # M-12029-M50C from Summit.
I'm not sure if they ship internationally to Japan, but I have mailed parcels EMS to Japan Post from the US before if you need any help.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Cortex has a used set of the Ford Performance coil packs listed on their Garage Sale page, item #22, for $150. If you're interested, contact them to check condition & shipping info.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Japan
You can attempt to reset the idle calibration by performing the following sequence:
1. Engage the parking brake (サイドブレーキ)
2. Start the engine and let it idle until it is at operational temperature
3. Allow the engine to run at operational temperature for at least one minute
4. Then turn on the Air Conditioner (A/C) and let it run for another minute (since the computer wants to see the associated drag from the A/C to learn correctly)
5. Release the parking brake and drive car for about ten miles

If that doesn't work, you can clear the data and then move the coils around to see if the issue follows. If you're buying more than 6 coils (at about $60-per), it's less expensive to get the Ford Performance set of 8, part # M-12029-M50C from Summit.
I'm not sure if they ship internationally to Japan, but I have mailed parcels EMS to Japan Post from the US before if you need any help.
Thank you for the easy-to-understand explanation. I'll reset it tomorrow. Is it better not to use aftermarket products for coils? Aftermarket products are also sold in Japan.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Japan
Cortexは、ガレージセールページのアイテム#22に150ドルでリストされているフォードパフォーマンスコイルパックの中古セットを持っています。あなたが興味を持っているならば、状態と輸送情報をチェックするために彼らに連絡してください。
[URL unfurl = "true"] https://cortexracing.com/shop/garage-sale/ [/ URL]
Thank you!

Is it better not to use aftermarket products for coils? Aftermarket products are also sold in Japan.
It's a personal choice. I prefer to use original equipment when it is available and meets my needs. If the originals are too expensive to import to Japan, using quality aftermarket parts available in Japan makes sense. Ford changed the coil connector for engines built after 2016/2/23, so just ensure you get ones made for the earlier engines.

Holy nuts, I didn't realize you were in Japan, that's pretty awesome. If you need to, you can buy 1 aftermarket coil, and place it in the suspect cylinder, and check it that way. I've done this myself, when the factory stuff is not available or on backorder.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Japan
It's a personal choice. I prefer to use original equipment when it is available and meets my needs. If the originals are too expensive to import to Japan, using quality aftermarket parts available in Japan makes sense. Ford changed the coil connector for engines built after 2016/2/23, so just ensure you get ones made for the earlier engines.
ok. I need to order from USA if it is OEM. SPECTRA PREMIUM products are sold in Japan. Do you know the products of this company?
If you buy an OEM in Japan, it costs $ 100 per piece.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Japan
Holy nuts, I didn't realize you were in Japan, that's pretty awesome. If you need to, you can buy 1 aftermarket coil, and place it in the suspect cylinder, and check it that way. I've done this myself, when the factory stuff is not available or on backorder.
Yes.I live in Japan. Aftermarket parts are sold, but genuine parts are expensive. However, when purchasing aftermarket parts, I am wondering which company's product is best.

SPECTRA PREMIUM products are sold in Japan. Do you know the products of this company?
Researching it, Spectra has a lifetime warranty on ignition coils for the original purchaser. The Spectra part number is C-756 for your engine. I'd suggest checking if the warranty is applicable in Japan.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Japan
Researching it, Spectra has a lifetime warranty on ignition coils for the original purchaser. The Spectra part number is C-756 for your engine. I'd suggest checking if the warranty is applicable in Japan.
Thank you!

TMO Supporting Vendors