The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mishimoto Oil cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Setrab 948 is a GREAT cooler! Ideal oil temps? I think if you can operate over 185F and under 250F, it would be ideal. If you are consistently under 185 (not too likely in a race car but for a dual-purpose car, you can get there), then you need a thermostat to help get the oil temps up to "normal" viscosity and to burn off any H2O that may have accumulated.

jpt3 said:
Great info guys. I ended up installing a setrab 948. The thing is a monster. I ran at Watkins glen the other week. Granted it was pretty cold especially in the mornings but the oil coming back from the cooler never went above 220 and that was at the highest. In the am sessions it didn't even get to 200.

What do you guys feel an ideal operating oil temperature is?

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 948 has a fan pack available for it. You want your oil to get warm enough to vaporize condensation so the pcv can suck it up.

Makes sense guys. I do have a thermostat that is supposed to open at 165. I think what I'll do this winter is change the temperature probe to read from the side before it goes to the cooler to determine more accurately what's going on in the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really surprised at the amount of concern with getting the oil warm on street vehicles. The installation of an air to oil cooler didn't effect oil warm up on my boss at all. It did however have a serious effect on keeping oil temps in check. The cooler and a radiator enclosure have the biggest impact on keeping oil at optimum temp. Honestly, coyote motors have zero issues with bringing oil up to temp from a cold start.

The installation of an air to oil cooler didn't effect oil warm up on my boss at all.

This will be true if you kept your OEM oil-to-water cooler and ran the oil-to-air cooler in series. The OEM cooler also serves to rapidly warm the oil and it is relatively effective. In cold climates, however, we would still recommend a thermostatic control.... and we would DEFINITELY recommend a thermostat if the OEM cooler was eliminated.

I installed a boss 302 oil to water cooler in series with the Mishimoto air/oil cooler. I do not have an oil temp sensor to report the oil temps. What I do know is the Mishimoto sandwich plate does not work with the 302 cooler because the o-ring diameter is incorrect and with the stacked height of both coolers, the stock oil filter contacts the subframe. I used a Moroso sandwich adapter instead and a shorter oil filter Mobile 1 #m1-113. Also the line routing from sandwich plate to heat exchanger was not illustrated in the poor instructions. Mishimoto customer support wasn't very helpful with my questions.

I think with the 2 coolers combined in series with the addition of my Mishimoto radiator, the cooling should be sufficient for 20min track sessions.

I would do the Mishimoto rad again (effective and cheap), but not the oil cooler.

*edited for clarity*

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
smallblock said:
I installed a boss 302 oil to water cooler in series with the Mishimoto air/oil cooler. I do not have an oil temp sensor to report the oil temps. What I will say is the Mishimoto sandwich plate does not work with the 302 cooler because the o-ring diameter is incorrect and the stacked height makes the oil filter contact the subframe. I used a Moroso sandwich adapter instead and a shorter oil filter Mobile 1 m1-113. Also the line routing was a mystery, not illustrated in the poor instructions. Mishimoto customer support wasn't very helpful with my questions.

I think with the 2 coolers combined in series with the addition of my Mishimoto radiator, the cooling is sufficient for 20min track sessions.

I would do the Mishimoto rad again (effective and cheap), but not the oil cooler.

06mach1 was one of the first to report that the Mishimoto sandwich gasket did not fit the Boss cooler well. I suspect that their kit was simply not designed with the Boss cooler in place, so it's no wonder they'd have no idea where to route the lines that way.

With the Moroso sandwich on top, I can fit the stock FL-500S oil filters but not the larger FL-820 Ford Racing ones.

Here's my hose routing for anyone installing the Mishimoto oil cooler. I notched out an area of the removable service splash shield under the car for a direct route to the sandwich plate. Before I buttoned it up, I covered any points of contact with rubber heater hose to prevent chaffing (not shown):

31937081383_3b409525ce_z.jpg by smallblock, on Flickr

32597804962_ec642494c1_z.jpg Mishimoto oil cooler by smallblock, on Flickr

32371052570_27b5cadcf7_k.jpg Mishimoto oil cooler by smallblock, on Flickr

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Looks like there's enough line to go around the other side. Some of us went toward the passenger side with the Boss cooler. I tried for a while to get a clean shot on the driver side.

My install (in Removing the Stock Oil Cooler, what is needed? thread):
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7462.msg113638#msg113638

More oil cooler install info here:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6652.0

Grant 302 said:
Looks like there's enough line to go around the other side. Some of us went toward the passenger side with the Boss cooler. I tried for a while to get a clean shot on the driver side.

I also went to the passenger side.

Grant 302 said:

When I'm feeling motivated, I'm going to reroute mine to the pass side similar to yours. At the time it didn't look possible with the length of hoses I got and I was rushed to get to a track event a day later. Typical! Lol

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel