The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mixing Motor Oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Theoreticaly, the viscosity would be somewhere in between. The real concern is the "additive package" of each oil, and if they are compatible. Sometimes specific product lines and viscosities will be identified as "compatible" by a brand.

With regard to additives, I'm a huge believer in Lucas products. Back in the day, I ran an MG midget, built the whole car myself, those engines had the technology of an Allis Chalmers pre war tractor. I always dumped a pint of Lucas in and never had any problems. I use that stuff in my Shelby, my 99, and every car that I've owned. When I felt sorry for my 2010 F150 and took it apart at 178K miles to replace the timing chains, after inspecting them, I'm sure they would've gone at least another 50K with no issues. I used that stuff in the trans as well. A Ford tech told me that they add it at the dealer to prevent "converter shudder" in some of their transmissions. I even use it in my riding mower both in the fuel and the oil.
Like the add says " I put that **** on everything".

When I was growing up , I remember my Dad adding "mystery" oil to his car once in a while......any old tymers know what that was about?????????...I doubt anybody has a clue...even to what "mystery oil" even was.................

Last edited:
When I was growing up , I remember my Dad adding "mystery" oil to his car once in a while......any old tymers know what that was about?????????...I doubt anybody has a clue...even to what "mystery oil" even was.................
yep, I still use it for misc stuff. Back in the day it was used as a "top oil" added to fuel to help lubricate the valves, back then lead was in the fuel to do that, and prevent knock, but if you ran what was called "dry gas" or aircraft rated gasoline in a car, you needed to add a top oil. FWIW I mix ALL of my fuel around the house as a 2 stroke oil. That way, if I'm out of town and a bad storm hits, no matter what fuel she grabs, she can run it in everything, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, doesn't matter. The 2 cycle mix lubricates everything in the 2 cycle, but it acts like a top oil in the 4 strokes, doing no harm. In fact I have some mowers that are the el cheapo K mart Chinese crap that are over 20 years old running that stuff. I'd throw them out, but they still run fine.

Then he poured it down the carb, which was a common thing to do back then, Crud, like lead deposits would build up in the cylinders and cause pre ignition, one way to get rid of that was to pour Marvel oil into the carb while it was running, ATF was also used, or.. you could put it into the gas tank itself. If you just dumped it down the carb, it would smoke like crazy and cropdust the whole neighborhood, put it in the tank and it wasn't quite as bad. Remarkably, it worked very well.
This still works to this day, but modern fuels are so refined and with no lead, there is really no need for it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
When I was growing up , I remember my Dad adding "mystery" oil to his car once in a while......any old tymers know what that was about????

Back in the day it was used as a "top oil" added to fuel to help lubricate the valves, back then lead was in the fuel to do that, and prevent knock, but if you ran what was called "dry gas" or aircraft rated gasoline in a car, you needed to add a top oil.

Shaun at AED recommends adding a bit to E85 for the same reason.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
GM had a top end cleaner. Pour the first half down the carb(with engine running) then slowly increase your pour rate to choke out the engine. Leave engine sit for an hour, restart and pour a quart of water down the carb. Supposedly this would soften up carbon deposits and blow them out. The anecdote that was usually brought up was how clean the piston and combustion chambers were in a cylinder that had been ingesting coolant from a leaking head gasket. I was thinking about adding a water injection system but never did.

GM had a top end cleaner. Pour the first half down the carb(with engine running) then slowly increase your pour rate to choke out the engine. Leave engine sit for an hour, restart and pour a quart of water down the carb. Supposedly this would soften up carbon deposits and blow them out. The anecdote that was usually brought up was how clean the piston and combustion chambers were in a cylinder that had been ingesting coolant from a leaking head gasket. I was thinking about adding a water injection system but never did.
the Luftwaffe was way ahead of you

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel