The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MM Caster/Camber plates, Strut hardware

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am installing MM C/C plates and according to the instructions the strut to spindle mounting hardware is recommended to be replaced.

I don't have new hardware, how worried should I be about this?

Thank you, Keith

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Keith

The hardware is not torque to yield, or one time use. Even so, Ford recommends you replace the nuts and bolts because of the interference fit of the lower nuts to the bolts and the lock on the upper nut.

Ford offers the hardware and I have found that dealers stock the hardware. Two of two pars departments I checked had them in stock.

What I do is clean the parts well with a wire wheel and add lock-tite to the threads and then torque to spec. If I am concerned about the condition of the threads I will run a die over the bolts and clean them up before reuse.

If I remember correctly, hardware for both front struts is less than $20.00 from Ford.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I've heard these nuts are deformed-thread. So I'd never fault anybody for always buying these new.

Many of us have reused them a few or several times.

Grant 302

Keith T said:
Thank you all.

I am going to go with the MM alignment settings unless one of you guys have a suggestion.....

I think that could be best answered if you describe how you plan to use the car and if you want to 'set it and forget it' or want different settings for street vs. track.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Street or Track. I learned that lesson recently.

I was running 1.6 camber street and track. I smoked the outside of my left front NT-01. So I bought a new tire and had the camber increased to 2.4. Toe has been straight up for both.

Turn in is amazing and tire wear for the track in now even. On the street the car tends to wander a bit.

I will be adjusting camber now for purpose. 1.6 street and 2.4 track.

Tools for the adjustment are not to expensive. With the MM plates you can easily adjust camber without changing caster.

Compromise?? The two environments are too varied in my opinion to achieve a compromise.

I have read where guys have had their cars set to a street friendly camber setting and marked the position on the plates and them moved to a track setting and marked that position. They then change camber as needed. Toeing has to be adjusted accordingly.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Grant302, I drive the car about 2000 miles per year. 3-4 track nights a year. I consider the car purely recreational in usage. With that low annual mileage can I set it up one way and not worry? I also do not have an issue with adjusting it before I drive to the track. the track is around 100 miles each way for me.

TMSBoss, thank you for your recommendations. I will use those.

next question....... I am having difficulty finding an alignment shop in Morgantown, WV to align the car. I am thinking about buying some sort of tools to align it my self. any recommendations on what to get?

Thank you again. -Keith

Grant 302

Keith T said:
Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Grant302, I drive the car about 2000 miles per year. 3-4 track nights a year. I consider the car purely recreational in usage. With that low annual mileage can I set it up one way and not worry? I also do not have an issue with adjusting it before I drive to the track. the track is around 100 miles each way for me.

TMSBoss, thank you for your recommendations. I will use those.

next question....... I am having difficulty finding an alignment shop in Morgantown, WV to align the car. I am thinking about buying some sort of tools to align it my self. any recommendations on what to get?

Thank you again. -Keith

You'd *always* be better off if you use two settings to best manage wear.

For that little street mileage, you can certainly have one camber setting for the track that works with your tires and be fine on the street if you also run 0.0º Toe.

What tires are you using?

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

Thank you again. -Keith
[/quote]

Keith

I also had problems finding an ilignment shop. Most assume the shock towers must be drilled to relocate the attachment points or the lower attachment points on the strut has to be cut/drilled. I took the instruction sheet to the local shop and showed the tech how the MM plates worked. 30 minutes later, alignment done.

Good luck.

Grant302, Bridgestone Pole Position s02...... something like that. I just got something inexpensive for street use as the rears only last me about 4K miles.

I am going 275 or 285 up front and 305s in the back with new wheels as my next mod. definitely going with something 'grippier"

TMO Supporting Vendors