The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mobil 1 0W-40 Availability/Shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Hey guys, I have a dual purpose 5.0. Non-daily driven, just weekend and occasional track days.
I am looking into running 40-weight oil and M1 40-weight seems like a very popular option across different forums.
I have not tried 40-weight oil before, and I know they are labeled as "for european car". From reading online, the labeling of "euopean cars" is just that they go through more rigorous oil testing is that correct? and that 40 weight is the most common viscosity used for european cars

Is there a reason why a lot of TMO members recommend the M1 0w40 over the M1 5w40?
For reference, I live in California, so I will never see anything really lower than 35 degrees. I could just get the 5w40 oil over the 0w40? Or is their an advantage using 0w40 over 5w40 for track use?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Like JDee I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic and not sure if folks are aware but it is also the cleanest oil made as it is made from natural gas. I ran it in my Viper ( in fact Dodge switched from Mobil 1 over to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for them years back ) and also in my Mach 1 and it always comes out extremely clear. You can usually find it in 5 gallon jugs also and in fact I just got some last month for $28 bucks at Wally World.

Ran Mobil 1 for years and it is great stuff, but as noted by JDee the Ultra Platinum Synthetic Pennzoil is right up there too. I have not seen any shortage in my area and likely it is just temporary, though I do know the Dealership I used to work at has been seeing a dramatic increase in oil changes since driving is up so it could be just a situation of the Oil Companies gearing up capacity?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Mr2Raw,

The small argument is that the lower viscosity is better for start up, especially with performance motors, as it gets oil to the top of the motor faster. Start up is when there can be more wear and like you I can not imagine there is that much difference with 5w over 0w, but the Manufacturers will really recommend it. Chatting with a good friend in the Oil Industry many years back I asked him your question, stating I thought it was more for EPA qualification as engine start up was also when there was a higher load , hence more emissions. His said he felt that was entirely the issue, because the guidelines were getting so tough. Either way, you are likely quite fine, and as you have noticed there are numerous good choices if Mobil 1 is not available.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
I'm blowing @JDee's cover here...on Xmas day.

We snowy northerners actually use a little known private label oil brand made from double-distilled reindeer fat....available only between 25 to26 -DEC.

Santa delegates delivery to UPS (UnPrincipled Sled-drivers) so his hands stay clean.

Ever wonder where all the old reindeer go? Now you know :praying:....don't tell PETA.

Merry Xmas from the (shovel-less) Snowy North...........

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
True story, many of us know Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer was actually a GM build and his nose was red alerting Santa that his little engine overheated - that's why he was only good on the sled one day a year!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a dual purpose 5.0. Non-daily driven, just weekend and occasional track days.
I am looking into running 40-weight oil and M1 40-weight seems like a very popular option across different forums.
I have not tried 40-weight oil before, and I know they are labeled as "for european car". From reading online, the labeling of "euopean cars" is just that they go through more rigorous oil testing is that correct? and that 40 weight is the most common viscosity used for european cars

Is there a reason why a lot of TMO members recommend the M1 0w40 over the M1 5w40?
For reference, I live in California, so I will never see anything really lower than 35 degrees. I could just get the 5w40 oil over the 0w40? Or is their an advantage using 0w40 over 5w40 for track use?
Im in cali too.
0w40 is a good compromise if the car sees both regular driving and track.
5w40 is absolutely fine too. Just keep in mind that for daily usage u need to warm up the car better.
Mobil isn't the best oil to be clear. It is a very good one but the secret as always...is to change it frequently.

@Bill Pemberton the ULTRA PLATINUM (not platinum only) is an outstanding oil just behind AMSOIL. (According to a fantastic test of PROJECTFARM on youtube)
It would be my choice. But they have 5w30 only.
So little too "light"

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Oh, I know , I had some 0-40W in the garage, so I ran that in the heat of the Summer, but went with 5-30W in the early Fall. It is definitely a lot cheaper than Amsoil, but like you I think the big trick is to change the oil ( actually all fluids ) frequently.

Crazy thing is my 22 Ram W1500 Laramie CrewCab is supposed to run 0-20W and that just seems nuts to me, but after having drug a trailer to Augusta, Ga. early this year and again to Moultrie, Ga. in early December the stuff comes out looking brand new, have not used a drop, and ran it 5000 miles between changes ( not quite true, I changed out the Manufacturer's oil at around 1000 miles for the first change ).

20W seems nuts, but after running the Mach 1 at 30W on the track , and it still looks great , I figure I will stick with that in the future.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Im in cali too.
0w40 is a good compromise if the car sees both regular driving and track.
5w40 is absolutely fine too. Just keep in mind that for daily usage u need to warm up the car better.
Mobil isn't the best oil to be clear. It is a very good one but the secret as always...is to change it frequently.

@Bill Pemberton the ULTRA PLATINUM (not platinum only) is an outstanding oil just behind AMSOIL. (According to a fantastic test of PROJECTFARM on youtube)
It would be my choice. But they have 5w30 only.
So little too "light"
If I buy the M1 0w40, how often to change it? After every track event? Or is after every 2-3 events ok?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I do every 2 weekends from years of racing W2W, but 2-3 is likely fine, especially since you get less time with HPDE/Time Trials on track than a full race weekend ( in most cases ).

Last edited:
Just curious. Do you use 0w40 Amsoil?
Amsoil has 5w40.

I use 0w40 mobil1 for winter and 5w50amsoil.for summer.
If.i start to do w2w i might just go 5w50

I always integrate with MOTORKOTE.

TMO Supporting Vendors