The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mobil 1 replacing Motorcraft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Someone posted on SVT that Ford has replaced Motorcraft 5w-50 with Mobil 1 5w-50 in the Boss both right from the factory and as the dealer replacement.

Is this true?

actually I posted it..
I been calling around Ford dealers/ svt also and the motorcraft oil is not showing up in 5w50. Mobil 1 is the replacement from Ford. Canada only thing ??? I don`t know...

I wonder if they are having supply problems in Canada, if they think it is better in the cold, or if there is some environmental reg keeping it out. Last time I looked there was no Mobil 1 that met the spec, at least in that weight. I have used Mobil 1 and then M1 EP (after they reformulated, and the old M1 real full synth was relabeled) in all my other cars except the dino juice only track car.

zzyzx

Steve
The current Mobil 1 5w50 lacks the WSS-M2C931-B spec required for maintaining the warranty.

Only Motorcraft 5w50 and Redline 5w50 adhere to this spec.

Not that that actually means anything in the real world, I'm sure Mobil 1 5w50 is on par or superior to Motorcraft 5w50.

I did my first oil change with Motorcraft and will be using Redline from here on out.

zzyzx said:
The current Mobil 1 5w50 lacks the WSS-M2C931-B spec required for maintaining the warranty.

Only Motorcraft 5w50 and Redline 5w50 adhere to this spec.

Not that that actually means anything in the real world, I'm sure Mobil 1 5w50 is on par or superior to Motorcraft 5w50.

I did my first oil change with Motorcraft and will be using Redline from here on out.

Hmmm, are you sure about the Redline having that spec? Also, Castrol adheres to that spec.

zzyzx said:
Dean#4AI said:
Hmmm, are you sure about the Redline having that spec?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=135&pcid=21
It does not state that it meets the spec.

"Popular for 5.4L Supercharged Ford applications like Shelby GT 500 and Ford GT (WSS-M2C931-B)"

5 DOT 0 said:
zzyzx said:
Dean#4AI said:
Hmmm, are you sure about the Redline having that spec?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=135&pcid=21
It does not state that it meets the spec.

"Popular for 5.4L Supercharged Ford applications like Shelby GT 500 and Ford GT (WSS-M2C931-B)"

Exactly. I'm sure that it exceeds anything that actually has the spec but just so people know that it does not legally state it meets that spec. If it wasn't for the cost, that is the oil that I would be using. I just bought 4 cases of Mobil 1 for my Boss and it doesn't meet the spec either.

I'm from Ontario Canada. Last Fall (2011) I went to my local Ford SVT dealer to get some Motorcraft 5W 50 oil for my winter storage oil change. At the Parts Counter the employee informed me that they had supply problems. Ford in fact told them to substitute Mobil 1 5W 50 for the Motorcraft. I informed him of the WSS-M2C931-B spec for Warrenty issues. He was unaware of the spec but said that is what Ford told them to use instead. He also said that the Mobil 1 5W 50 is what they use exclusively on their GT 500's. I think they have the same Warrenty spec. Went back this year to get some Motorcraft oil and got the same result of the substitution of Mobil 1.

gremlinsteve said:
Doesnt this ford spec oil just mean its a low
Graphite formula? Im not seeing anything
Else different
That's my understanding. I wouldn't hesitate to use a non spec high quality motor oil like Redline or M1. I was just pointing out that Redline doesn't meet the spec. I get my oil changed at my dealer for less than it would cost me to do it so that's why I use the Motorcraft. A local shop to me stocks the M1 in 5w50 and that's what I'd use if I was changing it myself.

I've been racing at the upper levels for 28 years. You can't go wrong with Mobil 1. Many race engine builders tell you to use Mobil 1, right off the shelf. Mobil 1 is on sale at NAPA this month.

TMO Supporting Vendors