The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mobile 1 On Sale at NAPA $5.99 / Qt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes, I had the catalytic converters installed. I don't think the extra zinc is that big of a deal considering Mobil 1 is a factory fill for a lot of other cars.

I was wrong about which component of the ZDDP additive package was reduced in the Ford specification. It was the phosphorous that is reduced, again for catalytic converter protection. The ZDDP package primarily contains zinc and phosphorous for wear reduction.

Amsoil has a decent discussion on the topic:

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/articles/reduced-zddp-and-wear-protection/

I have a restored 1970 442, 4 speed, big block car with an old school flat tappet camshaft. Finding a motor oil with a high enough zinc and phosphorous content to protect the cam lobes and lifters is a real issue. I either need to add a ZDDP package to an off the shelf synthetic like Mobil 1 or buy a specialty oil from Brad Penn or Joe Gibb's Driven line of products.

If this is a street driven vehicle, Castrol makes a synthetic 5W50 that goes on sale several times a year that meets the Ford specifications. Correction - Castrol may have reformulated the 5W50. I cannot tell if it still meets the Ford specification.

Personally, and partly based on oil analysis discussions on Bob is the Oil Guy, I prefer the Mobil 1 5W50 to Motorcraft or Castrol products. It appears that the Mobil 1 is more shear resistant over time.

If this is a track driven car, I definitely wouldn't worry about the extra phosphorous damaging / reducing the efficiency of a catalytic converter. Trackey disables the catalytic converter over temp protection, so you are much more likely to cook a cat on track than you are damaging one using Mobil 1.

Thanks for the link, I'll read that. It's ironic, it seems the more I read in-depth articles on engines, oil and lubrication, the more questions that arise! It's a captivating topic that I've read & studied (as a layman) for years, but it seems we never quite reach the bottom. To that end, I have Blackstone perform UOAs on my cars, out of simple curiosity as much as anything else. Fun to parse the reports.

When you mentioned your 4-4-2, Joe Gibbs' oil was the first thing I thought of. I expect that'd do the trick without the worry of having to supplement with additives. That sounds like a really nice car BTW, I always thought the Olds from that era had some really cool designs. Very recognizable as distinct from Chevy, Pontiac, et al.

2012-Boss said:
I was wrong about which component of the ZDDP additive package was reduced in the Ford specification. It was the phosphorous that is reduced, again for catalytic converter protection. The ZDDP package primarily contains zinc and phosphorous for wear reduction.

Amsoil has a decent discussion on the topic:

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/articles/reduced-zddp-and-wear-protection/

I have a restored 1970 442, 4 speed, big block car with an old school flat tappet camshaft. Finding a motor oil with a high enough zinc and phosphorous content to protect the cam lobes and lifters is a real issue. I either need to add a ZDDP package to an off the shelf synthetic like Mobil 1 or buy a specialty oil from Brad Penn or Joe Gibb's Driven line of products.

If this is a street driven vehicle, Castrol makes a synthetic 5W50 that goes on sale several times a year that meets the Ford specifications.

Personally, and party based on oil analysis discussions on Bob is the Oil Guy, I prefer the Mobil 1 5W50 to Motorcraft or Castro products. It appears that the Mobil 1 is more shear resistant over time.

If this is a track driven car, I definitely wouldn't worry about the extra phosphorous damaging / reducing the efficiency of a catalytic converter. Trackey disables the catalytic converter over temp protection, so you are much more likely to cook a cat on track than you are damaging one using Mobil 1.
Track key does not disable any emissions protection. It could not be designed to do so or else it would not have been able to get CARB exemption.

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-598-14.pdf

BigTaco said:
Track key does not disable any emissions protection. It could not be designed to do so or else it would not have been able to get CARB exemption.

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-598-14.pdf

You are correct, Trackey does not disable any emissions protections. It does, at least to my understanding, disable Ford's cat over temp protection which in basic terms is dumping fuel / enriching the fuel mixture to cool the exhaust gases passing through the catalytic converter to protect them from overheating in extreme circumstances. The downside to this is it can cause carbon buildup in the catalytic converter.

My source for the Trackey disabling COT is Adam at Revolution Automotive amongst other Ford specialty tuners. He specifically noted this to me in personal discussions based on Boss 302s he had on the dyno with Trackey.

I picked up 12 qts last week.

TMO Supporting Vendors