The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mod first, ask questions later

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, I'm serious this time about just enjoying the car as Ford built it given how many upgrades they designed into the GT350 for track use. That said, we'll still be raising the car frequently for pads/rotors, fluids and tire changes. I'm really happy with the quality of these new jacking plates produced by member 06mach1. Mike did a great job again and I'm anxious to get them on the car.......ok I'm maybe even more anxious just to get the car.

20151103_074914_zpshrg3dpys.jpg

20151103_074944_zpscf4qe1gy.jpg

ArizonaBOSS said:
It begins...
It needs to end. Starting to wonder how many more before it sees its first 100 miles.........temps are heading South later this week. Another 70 degree day today driving the F150.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
It needs to end. Starting to wonder how many more before it sees its first 100 miles.........temps are heading South later this week. Another 70 degree day today driving the F150.

I think everyone at Ford learned their lessons on the B302 and this will be a much more robust package. I think the real question is will the MR dampers exceed the performance of aftermarket dampers, and how long will they last under track use before they need to be replaced?

Hopefully the "benchmarked" PSS tires are close enough to race tires that the ABS is not affected when you do switch over to actual race tires; and if not hopefully the "fix" is as simple as it was on the Boss with a controller module.

We are already seeing some differences on the 350R-C with respect to oiling and aero (fenderwell venting, etc) that indicate areas for hardcore tracking improvements, so keep an eye on those cars.

GO FORTH, PIONEERS!

ArizonaBOSS said:
I think everyone at Ford learned their lessons on the B302 and this will be a much more robust package. I think the real question is will the MR dampers exceed the performance of aftermarket dampers, and how long will they last under track use before they need to be replaced?

Hopefully the "benchmarked" PSS tires are close enough to race tires that the ABS is not affected when you do switch over to actual race tires; and if not hopefully the "fix" is as simple as it was on the Boss with a controller module.

We are already seeing some differences on the 350R-C with respect to oiling and aero (fenderwell venting, etc) that indicate areas for hardcore tracking improvements, so keep an eye on those cars.

GO FORTH, PIONEERS!
Anything in particular that needs immediate attention? Trying to be ready to hit the track in April.

There are just a couple of sets out there currently, waiting for their cars to show up and then install. I don't foresee any issues, but I want to make sure they install and work correctly before I offer them for sale in quantity. I believe Gary will be the first to get them installed.

06mach1 said:
There are just a couple of sets out there currently, waiting for their cars to show up and then install. I don't foresee any issues, but I want to make sure they install and work correctly before I offer them for sale in quantity. I believe Gary will be the first to get them installed.
I'm going to do it during PDI so we can do it on the lift. Should be no later than end of next week. I'll get pics from the underside as well.

Cool. How much do they weigh? ::)

mattlqx

Mustangless
Did you get these installed?

I'd like to go with something like this because they don't add much weight. Steeda makes full length rails that are 14 lbs total. :\ Also the rails cost $130.

mattlqx said:
Did you get these installed?

I'd like to go with something like this because they don't add much weight. Steeda makes full length rails that are 14 lbs total. :\ Also the rails cost $130.
Yes sir. I've used them several times already. They work great and well worth it.

I would also add that the pinch weld (along with apparently all the steel on this chassis) is incredibly strong. You'll have no issues still jacking or placing jack stands in the recommended lift points on the pinch weld. Just make sure you have some really good bits before you drill it for the plates. The nice thing about the plates is you can lift the whole side of the car for placing jack stands or swapping both wheels at track days.

As Gary eluded too... the pinch weld flange/rocker panel is actually made out of hardened sheet metal now. The S197 was just hi-strength steel. To install the jack plates one should probably have a cobalt drill to start the hole and carbide to finish it. Ford has also found out about this the hard way as there is an issue with water drainage in the new Ford Edge door jamb/cowl area. There fix is to drill a hole to drain the water but they need a specialized bit to drill the hole. Being that the GT350's floor pan and rockers (and maybe the entire car) is being made out of hardened steel, frame connectors would probably not be needed and just add extra weight. But then again, they might be easier to install if they bolt in existing holes.

I will eventually be making more of these jack plates but one needs to be aware of the process of the difficult drilling to help then decide if this is the way they want to proceed. Also, it will be a month or two before I get to making them due to an unforeseen health issue that I just found out about. I will eventually put up an add asking for interested parties to sign up for the order hopefully in the next month.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Fair enough. That's good to hear that the seam should hold up much better than the S197. I suppose I'll just get some padding for my jack stands and that would probably be enough.

Hope your health issue gets taken care of quick!

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
The issue with jacking only on the pinch weld is that it will wear and even bend due to lateral loads with extended use. I installed Mike's plates on both the S197 and S550. The S550 pinch welds took some significant time to drill with a combination of drills, but these plates are the lowest weight and neatest install I've seen. The other option I considered was the Watson "puck plates" but they require welding.....

Get well soon!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel