The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Modified Boss 302 Review!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://youtu.be/pWE0_KPWXeY

List of modifications
https://www.wheelwell.com/profile/5620447db088b1d63c2d5113/vehicles/562044a0b088b1d63c2d5114/parts/#part-top

Good job Mike!

Nice video. He must be using the McLeod RXT clutch. LOL I'm pretty sure he's a member here but I can't remember his ID. The lap difference would have been almost identical if he had used the same tires...those Trefeo R tires are the real deal and I'm sure faster and better than the R888. Installing a CJ intake with LT headers and an AED tune is the way to go with the Boss motor. It will be interesting to see what the voodoo does with the same engine mods.

He is using Mcleod street extreme PNS.

I think he has modified his car tastefully, but may be a little too extreme for DD especially with 4 years old son at the back seat lol.
I also think his lap times would have been better if he used Trofeo R

Great video - thank you for posting!

I am unfamiliar with the Richardson Watts link - anyone know anything about it? One of these days I will get around to buying a Watts.

Hello,

That was my car in the review.

I just posted the video and noticed it was shared already.

Don Richardson used to be an engineer at Ford and he has designed a Watts link that works very well for these cars.

He is an older gentleman so he doesnt have a website or anything yet. We are working on that with Manny Galvan at Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas to get this going. He runs the same watts link as well.

Several American Iron Race cars run this watts link. We are working on a business plan to get this to market very soon.

You can email [email protected] if you have any questions.

20141122_102137_zpslb12omni.jpg

20141122_102211_zpsntq0dybe.jpg

20141122_102124_zpsbg6yyhek.jpg

Hey thank you for the pics and info, 13Boss0166! That is a very interesting Watts, - very different in terms of propeller/diff cover mount. I would like to hear more about it. Any idea about pricing?

Your car is fantastic, by the way! I have been slowly building mine into something for the type of backroads you guys were on but a little more streetable (KW V3s instead of Clubsports, poly instead of Heims on LCAs/UCA, PSS instead of R888, etc). I'm on stock sways, also, and I see you have WL relos like me. I wish I had the guts to go all-out with like you have!

I can assure you that the engineering of this Watts link is spot on. Don Richardson has had Ford look at it and they agree. If they produced a car that came factory with a watts link this would be the one they use. I believe it is around 1299.00 for the watts link. You can email Don at [email protected] or give him a call at 310-567-4953. He answeres between 8am and 3pm.

those pics are with the old rear suspension. We swapped everything LCA wise to Maximum Motorsports when we did the K member.
20150815_124736_zpssehyxykr.jpg

Excellent, thank you for that information. Perhaps Mr. Richardson can talk to Rick (VooDooBoss) about posting info/pricing/Q&A for his Watts on this website? I don't want him to run afoul of vendor rules.

And I appreciate the fact that you are an inveterate tinkerer! There is always something new to try for these cars.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Can you tell us how you came to purchase Don's Watts Link? I see nothing on Google for the purchase information, but several articles written about it on your car.

One article referenced his watts link as a Shelby Watts Link, but they do not offer it on the Shelby Store website.

Thanks for your information,
Davis
302 Hi Pro

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
302 Hi Pro said:
Can you tell us how you came to purchase Don's Watts Link? I see nothing on Google for the purchase information, but several articles written about it on your car.

One article referenced his watts link as a Shelby Watts Link, but they do not offer it on the Shelby Store website.

Thanks for your information,
Davis
302 Hi Pro

This Shelby Watts Link?
http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Watts-Link-p/s197-sb-coupe.htm

Mike, you have done a great job!

It is funny how you mentioned that you're going to get yourself Mazda MX-5 as a daily driver and this is exactly what I'm going to do once I start paying off my Mustang.

1) why not JRi or Vorshlag stuff for dampers? KW clubsport is world class quality, but just wondering.
2) why not Cortex WL? Cheaper and known quality.
3) why R888?
4) why not lighter clutch?
5) I think you do not have a roll bar, because your son rides in the back, true?

In my opinion you are much of a car guy to be satisfied with one car as DD and track monster. So I suggest for your safety, get an affordable dedicated track car, something that you can still drive to the track.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
TymeSlayer said:
This Shelby Watts Link?
http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Watts-Link-p/s197-sb-coupe.htm

No, but this is the only one they list. He has a most unique Watts Link that maintains the centering arms parallel with the axle tubes. When I Googled Don Richardson Watts Link, one article from Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords referred to it as Don Richardsons Shelby Watts Link.

Thanks for looking into that Tyme, much appreciated,
302 Hi Pro

DOM529

302 in 416
13Boss0166 said:
Hello,

That was my car in the review.

I just posted the video and noticed it was shared already.

Don Richardson used to be an engineer at Ford and he has designed a Watts link that works very well for these cars.

He is an older gentleman so he doesnt have a website or anything yet. We are working on that with Manny Galvan at Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas to get this going. He runs the same watts link as well.

Several American Iron Race cars run this watts link. We are working on a business plan to get this to market very soon.

You can email [email protected] if you have any questions.

20141122_102137_zpslb12omni.jpg

20141122_102211_zpsntq0dybe.jpg

20141122_102124_zpsbg6yyhek.jpg

Awesome package you put together and it sounds awesome!
Well done!

gbluegcode - IG

TMO Supporting Vendors