The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Modified the Grille

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temps are cooler now, still I did not want to continue to run the Boss with the restrictive grille and heat the engine more then needed. Last time out I did not look at the gauge too much but did catch 246 at least once. I bought a regular Boss grille and modified it like the Miller cars. $270 from Partscheap (this should be warrantied) and $22 for a V6 pony emblem, very slight difference from the Boss emblem nobody will ever know.

From a style standpoint the body color surround looks better but I think this is OK, makes the Boss look mean.

The Grille was easy to modify but took some time to refine it. It is a track grille but I doubt I will switch it out often so I wanted it to look nice.

CIMG2285.jpg
CIMG2288-1.png
CIMG2291-1.png

Nice job Scott.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Adam81 - wait, wait, wait. Silver is NOT the fastest color, Black is!!! The silver reflects the photons from the suns rays and creates a downforce on the body. Black absorbs the radiant energy and actually creates a pulling effect on your car. You do, of course, have to be driving INTO the sun versus away from it....

Signed,
Emmett "Doc" Brown
DeLorean DMC-12

PeteInCT said:
Adam81 - wait, wait, wait. Silver is NOT the fastest color, Black is!!! The silver reflects the photons from the suns rays and creates a downforce on the body. Black absorbs the radiant energy and actually creates a pulling effect on your car. You do, of course, have to be driving INTO the sun versus away from it....

Signed,
Emmett "Doc" Brown
DeLorean DMC-12

Now I get it!!!! That's why those black cars are so slow in the corners..... They have no downforce! Luckily the extra HP in the silver cars allows me to keep up in the straights with the radiated black cars....

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Got the Boss today, about a month earlier than expected. Reading the Boss supplement it said to remove the upper grill for track duty, is this new wording? Now just need to get 1000 miles on before Dec 11 Chin event @ Sebring.

Peter

OLOABoss said:
Got the Boss today, about a month earlier than expected. Reading the Boss supplement it said to remove the upper grill for track duty, is this new wording? Now just need to get 1000 miles on before Dec 11 Chin event @ Sebring.

Peter

I guess, never read that before.

OLOABoss said:

Peter

Definently does not say that in my Boss supplement! Wonder when this wording was added?

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
pg 37 Track use prep. If water temp light comes on come in and let it cool down Prior to next session remove your Boss 302 upper grill. This will allow more cooling air to the radiator and allow the car to run extended sessions in extreme heat.

Peter

OLOABoss said:
pg 37 Track use prep. If water temp light comes on come in and let it cool down Prior to next session remove your Boss 302 upper grill. This will allow more cooling air to the radiator and allow the car to run extended sessions in extreme heat.

Peter
Yeah that's new. As much as I want to use the stock or 302S grill I'll be adding a GT surround and Roush billet grill for max air flow.

TMO Supporting Vendors