The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

modified trans internals ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey guys..

I have a boosted 5.0 which broke his trans internal parts. His plan is to modify the internal parts up.

I concated rev auto and they said they just do the parts inhouse but they dont sell the parts.

I'm confused now... where can i get those modified mt 82 parts from ?

Liberty will sell the parts, but all it is is shift pads and shift stops. Most guys who do the rebuilds weld the shift forks and stuff like that. I had Ben Calimer do mine. Look him up on Facebook and he will give you the run down. He does his own. Had it not been for the old shifter locking up, i would be able to provide at least an initial impression on it.

so the best option is to contact ben calimer ?

I want to get a beefier tran internals for rebuild.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I will be going the Ben Calimer route if my trans experiences any serious issues.

I don't believe he does anything too crazy to the transmission as far as "beefing it up" but he eliminates many of the plastic parts and has options for cryo-treating the gears. Should be more stout than stock for sure but I don't think it's going to hold 1000 hp or anything like that.

Thanks for the help guys, sure will do

Now that ive seen this problem again and again ... im just hoping my internals last as much as possible .

That trans problem is really a pita

Whats the reason of changing the trans fluid ?

Does any1 know whats the viscosity of the oem fluid ?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
ArizonaBOSS said:
I will be going the Ben Calimer route if my trans experiences any serious issues.

I don't believe he does anything too crazy to the transmission as far as "beefing it up" but he eliminates many of the plastic parts and has options for cryo-treating the gears. Should be more stout than stock for sure but I don't think it's going to hold 1000 hp or anything like that.

Hi Arazona:

Can you tell us a more about Ben Calimer? Not much comes up on a Google search. Does he have a company name? I shot a quote request to Revolution Automotive, will share that reply. Always looking to improve the Boss and will do this when I upgrade the clutch. Thinking about a Spec Stage 3 Plus, with a full face disc.

Thanks,
Dave
2HP

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
302 Hi Pro said:
Hi Arazona:

Can you tell us a more about Ben Calimer? Not much comes up on a Google search. Does he have a company name? I shot a quote request to Revolution Automotive, will share that reply. Always looking to improve the Boss and will do this when I upgrade the clutch. Thinking about a Spec Stage 3 Plus, with a full face disc.

Thanks,
Dave
2HP

Sorry, I don't have much info myself. He is a guy on Facebook that rebuilds these things. Posts many pictures of updates and rebuilds. Could be good, could be bad--but people keep buying them. Seems worth a shot to me, but I'd have to talk to him directly more before pulling the trigger on anything.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I just bought a tranny from Ben. Its in customs now and will have it out next week, will probably install it in a bit. Bought by paypal and had no problems. Even held it for me for a week while I sorted out my stretched credit cards. He seems to be very busy which is always good!

ArizonaBOSS said:
Sorry, I don't have much info myself. He is a guy on Facebook that rebuilds these things. Posts many pictures of updates and rebuilds. Could be good, could be bad--but people keep buying them. Seems worth a shot to me, but I'd have to talk to him directly more before pulling the trigger on anything.

One good thing with Liberty is they build transmission for the very high end racecar crowd. So they know what makes a race trans vs. a factory setup. I spoke with them at length about the MT82 and they have a lot of more exotic things they can do with coatings, bearings, and other tricks not only to make it robust against load, but also shift better and run cooler. I.e. its not just a simple rebuild.

The downside is during peak seasons it can be a several month wait! So order early.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I spoke with them at length about the MT82 and they have a lot of more exotic things they can do with coatings, bearings, and other tricks not only to make it robust against load, but also shift better and run cooler. I.e. its not just a simple rebuild.

The downside is during peak seasons it can be a several month wait! So order early.
[/quote]

Did liberty gave an indication of cost for a full upgraded??

TMSBOSS said:
Did liberty gave an indication of cost for a full upgraded??

Yes, they said depending on how far we wanted to go with materials it started at $1500 that included the $600 in syncros and up to $3000 for the better materials, coatings, and bearings.

I would let them go crazy on it because the MT82 is an excellent transmission if you treat it right. I have many hard fast shifts on my car at 7500+ rpm with street slicks, I even ground second a few times because my foot is too slow engaging the clutch pedal! yea, it does get stuck out of gear sometimes if you are shifting while cornering hard but the Blowfish bracket or if you want to spend more the MGW Race will do the same with added bling of a shifter.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
twistedneck said:
Yes, they said depending on how far we wanted to go with materials it started at $1500 that included the $600 in syncros and up to $3000 for the better materials, coatings, and bearings.

I would let them go crazy on it because the MT82 is an excellent transmission if you treat it right. I have many hard fast shifts on my car at 7500+ rpm with street slicks, I even ground second a few times because my foot is too slow engaging the clutch pedal! yea, it does get stuck out of gear sometimes if you are shifting while cornering hard but the Blowfish bracket or if you want to spend more the MGW Race will do the same with added bling of a shifter.

Not unreasonable.

I would also look at a cooler system if the car is tracked.

Heat build up is not an issue at the drags. 20+ minutes on a road course will definitely build heat.

Thanks for the info.

TMSBOSS said:
Not unreasonable.

I would also look at a cooler system if the car is tracked.

Heat build up is not an issue at the drags. 20+ minutes on a road course will definitely build heat.

Thanks for the info.

Not finding many turn key options for a trans cooler kit on the MT82.. I thought cooltech had one but no.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
twistedneck said:
Not finding many turn key options for a trans cooler kit on the MT82.. I thought cooltech had one but no.

It's gonna have to be a home-brewed solution using the fill/drain ports on the tranny.

Although if we can wait out for the TR3160, it has an integrated pump setup so you just need to add an external cooler :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel