The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mods on their way!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA
In an effort to slightly boost the power of my car, and improve the fun-to-drive ratio, I just ordered the following mods:

- Dynatech Aluminum DS
- Lethal 3" off road X pipe (409 stainless)
- Steeda CAI
- AED tuning. performance, race gas, and cam tunes.

Hope to have this stuff by the middle of next week.

Also had gone with Pagid RS29 brake pads for the front, but was sent the wrong pad style. All they had in stock were the RS19's so those are being shipped as we speak.

Hoping to improve the efficiency of the car with these light mods! Will post results once everything gets here and is installed. Don't care about dyno numbers, will be taking it to the track to see what it does.

I look forward to your review of the AED tune.

If you want to reduce weight do it where it counts: the wheels and rotors. Some nice wheels like Forgeline in the stock sizes (10" wide in the rear) will drop approximately 10 lbs. per wheel and Girodisc or something similar will drop about 5 lbs. per rotor. Then there's the axle backs where you can drop another 20+ lbs.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Nice choice of mods. I am curious as to how the AED Cam tune is on the street.

Does that x-pipe retain the side exhaust? I was watching a show called gears and they were at heart throb exhuast company. and they said they lost power with an x-pipe. I would love to see someone do a x vs h on the 5.0 I know other engines it seems that the x would make more upper rpm power and lose some down low and the h would make more trq down low but give up some hp up top.

Let me know how the RS29s hold up on the street. I'm super wary of piloting a vehicle that sounds like a school bus full of screaming middle school girls off the track.

Justin

fduboss302 said:
Let me know how the RS29s hold up on the street. I'm super wary of piloting a vehicle that sounds like a school bus full of screaming middle school girls off the track.
nice one quote worthy there lol

MA
5 Dot 0:

I'd love to get a set of track wheels and tires: one for HPDE, and one for the strip. Just have other prioties for now. Really was looking to optimize powertrain efficiciency over unsprung weight at this point, but down the road what you said makes 110% good sense!

Im confident the AED tune will run well. The combo I'm doing is the same combo (minus the driveshaft) that the 2013 Boss that beat the ZL1 from a roll race had inthat video that went viral a couple of weeks ago. I am getting sick of the soft throttle response/hesitation in the stock tune right off idle.

Regarding the X pipe, no side pipes. Which to me is better seeing as how it is catless. That could get stinky after a while if it had the side pipes too. I prefer the sound of the X over the H. My 2011 GT had the X with the GT500 mufflers that are on the Boss now and I thought it sounded nice, sort of "exotic". I will miss the side pipes though, I know.

Brakes- I wanted the 29's but had to accept the 19's due to time/shipping constraints. If they are noisy, I'll let you guys know. Pete ran them and I don't think he said they were noisy at all, and the guy from Northstar Motorsports assured me that there is "no difference" between the 29's and 19's. The RS14's are the big dog, but both the 19/29's are still only a "yellow" pad.

Justin- how do you like your DSS shaft? I wanted to go with that, but Jared at Lethal talked me out of it and into the Dynotech. He said the Dynotech was the shaft that Shelby put on all their cars. I told him I was worried about vibrations. Did you notice any seat of the pants improvements?

Justin

SVT1 said:
Justin- how do you like your DSS shaft? I wanted to go with that, but Jared at Lethal talked me out of it and into the Dynotech. He said the Dynotech was the shaft that Shelby put on all their cars. I told him I was worried about vibrations. Did you notice any seat of the pants improvements?
I didnt really notice any seat of the pants difference. Not like I did on my 06 GT. It does feel snappier down low though. And doesnt do that clunk anymore when you press the clutch in that would happen sometimes with the stock shaft.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Could the guy at lethal talked you out of it because they had one in stock and the other takes over 3 weeks to deliver? Not accusing anyone of anything, just sayin'... I saw a V6 shaft posted on another forum, and ooooo was it shiny. Beyond the wow factor when you do the install, do you really get anything out of a shiny finish? Wondered if dirt and crap would be more likely stick to that kind of finish that no one is ever gonna see 99.99% of the time?

From all I've seen and read about DSS shafts, they are very well made, and deliver performance. Kinda nice to know if my bank account suddenly gets fat, that a twin turbo setup could be dropped in and my drive train would be ready to go. 8)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
fduboss302 said:

I've used the RS-29's for two years on two different cars (Audi TTS, Boss 302). They are very streetable with little to no 'chirp' when you pull up to a stoplight. Definitly no 'bus full of screaming middle school girls' with those pads. Just make sure you bed them in correctly. You will also get a lot of life out of them and they will be kind to your rotors...

PeteInCT said:
fduboss302 said:

I've used the RS-29's for two years on two different cars (Audi TTS, Boss 302). They are very streetable with little to no 'chirp' when you pull up to a stoplight. Definitly no 'bus full of screaming middle school girls' with those pads. Just make sure you bed them in correctly. You will also get a lot of life out of them and they will be kind to your rotors...

Pete, where do you go bed your new pads? Or is this something that happens early dawn the day after you install your pads? ;D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
There's a lot of small well paved roads in CT. Any one that let's me get up enough speed and doesnt have a chance of me getting rear ended!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel