The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Aug

Mohawk Track Experience at Gingerman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Hey! I am in the Chicago suburbs and looking to attend my first track day. My uncle has a lake house ten minutes away from Gingerman so I am over there all the time in the summer. Looking at attending the novice day August 15th. Would this be a good first event? Anything required other than DOT4 brake fluid and a helmet?

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
How many bedrooms did you say are at that Lake house ? :)

It does looks like a great experience to start you off. You could probably go with what they suggest for this one before you go down the rabbit hole! ( camber plates, wheels, tires, brakes etc etc etc. )

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I attended this event last year and had a great time. I think the track would be good for a first time on track. It has very few places you can really get in trouble and plenty of run off room. I can't speak to the quality of instruction since I ran solo. The novice day is something new this year. You don't need to spend a lot of money on the car to get started. It just needs to be in good mechanical condition. Make sure your tires are in good shape and have sufficient tread, brake fluid is fresh, and brake pads have at least 1/2 their original thickness. Oh and rotors should be true and without cracks.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
I've attended this event several times and have had a great time every time. I'm planning on heading there again this year. You really do get a lot of track time for the money. One thing I like is that it's more of a technical course than a high speed course. My '08 Bullitt had a top speed of 105 on the long stretch, whereas my Roush got up to 125. If I was more aggressive then the Roush definitely would have high a higher top speed. I end up doing most of the track in 3rd gear with both cars.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I may have to cancel this one. I am still waiting on a transmission. I thought I would have it last week and it didn't come in. If it doesn't get here this week I will not have time for installation and break in.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
I am registered for Monday the 15th, and Tuesday the 16th with the beginner run group. Anyone attending those days?
Not attending this one but Blackhawk Farms should be in your backyard and is a fun track without a huge top speed. Did my first 2 HPDE events there and had a blast both times. Instruction really depends on who your paired with though.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Not attending this one but Blackhawk Farms should be in your backyard and is a fun track without a huge top speed. Did my first 2 HPDE events there and had a blast both times. Instruction really depends on who your paired with though.

I hear great things about it and yeah very close to me. Going to try and make it out there sometime in September or October. This month is just crazy busy for me and already have Mohawk going on.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I am registered for Monday the 15th, and Tuesday the 16th with the beginner run group. Anyone attending those days?
I have ny clutch and new driveshaft. Magnum XL is scheduled for delivery Wednesday. If everything works perfectly I can get it installed, tune reflashed for new gear ratios, and get it broken in before Monday when it goes on the trailer for the trip up. Don't count me out yet.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Did some track prep yesterday, noticed my passenger rear tire had some dry rot. The pictures attached are the absolute worst of it. All the other tires are fine…. Should these be swapped before the track day? Surprising since the other tires look really fresh and they aren’t old.

96CC5D21-BACA-4AFA-B436-11E7B1667ADC.jpeg

E8BAE47B-53E2-4F8A-B6CE-F85787226F80.jpeg

BA7FDE46-F77C-41FE-9B00-C0B72946D859.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Well it looks like I am out. I received the Magnum XL Wednesday afternoon. I ran into a couple of issues installing and don't have time to finish it, have the tune adjusted and break it in before leaving on Monday. Hopefully I will see everyone next year.

TMO Supporting Vendors