The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

More crap I gotta buy - not Gary's fault this time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ah I thought you'd have some photos of the belts. It will be interesting to see if four or six point belts become available and if an attachment bar is available or you have to add a roll cage to mount them. Obviously a cage is safer but that's not practical for all of us.

Gary and I were talking about whether or not a four point belt is "safer" than the stock three point belts for tracking a car not racing. After using them at MMP I have to think they are safer, rollover or not.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I think a 4-point is safer then a 3 pt (OEM) IF it is installed correctly in the car and IF it is worn correctly.

Too many people don't install them correctly in their car... which can make them more dangerous in a crash. Also, a lot of people do not wear them correctly and/or tighten them incorrectly which can lead to submarining and increased rates of internal organ damage during a crash.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions for install (backing plates, angle of belts, etc) and you will be all right.
Follow directions on wearing them (low on the hips, tighten lap belts first, etc) and you most likely won't submarine.

Personally, I'd want a 5 point (or 6 like I had in the M3)to help with submarining as well as assist with making sure the lower belt is correctly situated. but that's just me.

As for a roll-over... the 3 pt will allow you to 'roll' to the side and out of the crumple zone whereas a 4 pt (or more) will hold you upright. More risk of spinal compression with a 4 pt (or more) without a roll bar...

1000s of arguments for each side... I just want to be secure in my seat so I have control of the car ;)

They told me why they decided on four point vs. five and I forgot why but they said it is no problem running a crotch strap up over the front of the seat. In any case I think this is for the 13.

JScheier said:
1000s of arguments for each side... I just want to be secure in my seat so I have control of the car ;)
They were more secure than a three point belt there's no debating that. ;D

I talked to Charlie about the belts and he said his co-driver in Grand Am is the guy that owns Safecraft and they had decided on a six point belt. Looks like we have conflicting information. Gary mentioned the FR500S had the sub belt over the front of the seat so you could adjust it back and fourth. I'm not sure how that would work in a non racing seat.

Before spending money on belt systems, check closely with any sanctioning groups you are planning on running with. I know that as of the winter/spring, NASA would not allow 4 point belts for its events.

Interesting post I ran across while researching for Restraints & cages.

http://3.7mustang.com/vb/f8/harness-roll-bar-tech-161651/

YellowBoss, I just emailed you about the cage in your car and those belts. Would you mind posting info about them and where you got them?

Thanks.

frosty said:
Interesting post I ran across while researching for Restraints & cages.

http://3.7mustang.com/vb/f8/harness-roll-bar-tech-161651/

YellowBoss, I just emailed you about the cage in your car and those belts. Would you mind posting info about them and where you got them?

Thanks.

X2

Also any racing stuff you have to buy, it's easier to blame Gary. LOL

Hey, hey, hey now. ;D My buddy with the 5.0 just ordered a race seat and assuming it fits alright is going with the MM 4pt roll bar like in John's Boss. If it all goes well, which I'm sure it will, I may follow. Then we can blame him or John. :D

SUPRMN said:
frosty said:

Thanks.
X2

That is a picture of one of the Miller Cars. You may be able to get more info about the setup from Dan McKeever at the office there 435-277-8791. I do not have a cage in my Boss.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
World Challenge splitter kit (smaller than LS) is officially available now! http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13123

Going to pick one up along with an LS spoiler sometime in '12

TMO Supporting Vendors