The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

More GT500 Details

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
The GT500 and 2019+ GT350 share the same block and heads. The heads fit the Coyote block as well.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm curious about using the same heads for both engines - wouldn't the development of the Predator have called for changes to the GT500 head that might make it incompatible with the pre-existing GT350 intake manifold and other attachments like the cooling system, cam phasers and so on? They made a lot of changes to the block, like adding two more knock sensors and rerouting the coolant flow, and it just seems likely that the heads ended up different as well.

It could be the same casting but with porting specific to each engine. I recall something similar with the late 2013-2014 Coyote engines as well. Those engines supposedly received a revised casting but continued to use the Gen I port design.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm curious about using the same heads for both engines - wouldn't the development of the Predator have called for changes to the GT500 head that might make it incompatible with the pre-existing GT350 intake manifold and other attachments like the cooling system, cam phasers and so on? They made a lot of changes to the block, like adding two more knock sensors and rerouting the coolant flow, and it just seems likely that the heads ended up different as well.
They did make changes to the head but internally, i.e. cooling passages, nothing external. Porting didn't change.
As to the block, you'll see that there are actually 6 locations for knock sensors in the valley. The block shares the same valley mold as the 2018+ Coyote (which uses the four outer knock sensors while the Voodoo still only uses the two inner locations). The coolant flow in the block hasn't been rerouted but the openings in the deck have been made smaller to re-enforce the deck. The 2018+ Coyote, 2019+ Voodoo and the Predator also use the same head bolts.

In the V6L
They did make changes to the head but internally, i.e. cooling passages, nothing external. Porting didn't change.
As to the block, you'll see that there are actually 6 locations for knock sensors in the valley. The block shares the same valley mold as the 2018+ Coyote (which uses the four outer knock sensors while the Voodoo still only uses the two inner locations). The coolant flow in the block hasn't been rerouted but the openings in the deck have been made smaller to re-enforce the deck. The 2018+ Coyote, 2019+ Voodoo and the Predator also use the same head bolts.
Thanks for explaining that - it's a lot of changes to support the Predator that successfully add up to no change at all for the Voodoo. Impressive, actually. I was wondering how Ford handled the knock sensors - the first picture I saw the Gen 3 5.2 block was posted by someone who had one (you, perhaps?) and I didn't see the 2 central knock sensor positions. The picture on the FP website makes it clear that they're still there and that I just missed them.

760 going only through the rear wheels! My Boss is sketchy enough with 444 on cooler days.

I do have a car with over 700hp but it is heavy and all wheel drive - the Jeep Trackhawk. Even it is ridiculously fast but useable year round.

I have 620 to the rear wheels on my ‘13 GT. It’s a hoot. But there is a ton invested to get it to dig in. You punch it, it goes. North of 500 on a S197 without any suspension / drivetrain work is a definitely a handful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors