The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

More GT500 Details

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maybe this is better.

gt500.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I thought the on track pacecar was a GT-500. Sure looked like one. If this is correct, the pacecar made more horsepower than the Monster Energy series cars. Darlington being one of the five tracks with the smaller spacer under the carbs/throttle body.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
The question is, how long will it make that power? Somehow I think that blown engine will go pop pretty damn quick when it is really pushed hard. Never have been a fan of making outrageous power claims, might be fine for 1/4 mile times but how long will it live on a real race track?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
real race track

I know what you mean.....BUT. 1/4 mile strip is a real race track.

Just because its different, does not make it wrong or a lessor sport, Just different.

One "might pop" with sustained high HP output. The other, they just rebuild or throw out after a weekend. Different, not better or worse.

This does illustrate the value of grip, aero and drivers abilities. Less HP moving a 3500 lbs car at the speeds they do for as long as they do is amazing.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Well, since mine is a 435 hp one I'm hoping it won't be a pop.

I get that drag racing is a legit form of racing, I actually like watching it especially the drag race for cash version that MavTV shows. I grew up with old school sports car racers who looked down their nose at draggers and I guess that impression hasn't quite vacated my psyche yet. Mea culpa.

The GT500 is CPC is it not? That might help longevity.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looks damn good, that's for sure.
I also share concerns over the heat dissipation capability on a boosted car for the road course, but FWIW the engineers have spent a lot of time at road courses such as NOLA beating the crap out of it.

We did our drag racing at the local beach parking lots at night way back then...mid 70's?..There was a 69 or 70 Brown Dodge Charger that blew everybody away back then...Now all the parking lots are reconfigured, so your Grandma would have a hard getting thru them.....If they still exist at all.............miss those good ole days............:(...we need a crying icon....................

Forgot to mention, there were lookouts for L.E. moving in back then.They used "walkie talkies"Cell phones didn't come for years later....We never realized L.E. might be listening on our frequency...................:eek:

I think Ford has really done their homework on this and we’ll be pleasantly surprised. They had the GT350, ZL1 1LE, ZR1, and others to learn from. My supercharged 620WHP S197 has done well on track. It’s possible to tame the heat for an HPDE driver and looking at the cooling on this I think they have made an admirable effort.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, any of us who go really hardcore with it are going to want to upgrade cooking anyways.

But I think for most that put it on track, they will be happy with Ford’s effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Got a call from a friend over a year ago, and there has been alot of track testing........do believe there will be plenty of surprises when the 500 hits a road course, like VIR, for a published time!

The car's priority was to be a road course beast first and a dragstrip champ second, which is a reverse of the past. We shall likely see some times established on road courses around the US that will shock many!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel