The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

More mystery MT82 problems with videos.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I had the car checked at the dealer for crappy shifting last week. After going round and round they updated the shifter, checked fluid and found nothing. I get the car back Wednesday and it's feeling pretty good. Last night, after about 175 miles of driving issues arise. There's a hard clunking when letting off the clutch from a stop and accelerating, the heat coming from the center console is so hot I had to ride with the windows open and it made my change almost unable to pick up with bare hands. The issue won't show itself in reverse and still does it even if you let the clutch out and come to a slow roll then accelerate. Here's the videos....

http://youtu.be/_wWJBVYZ7_Q
http://youtu.be/nuPOeyLIjRU

I have six or seven videos ready to show the dealer Monday morning. They've been nothing but a pain and the tech tried to tell me my transmission is the same as the GT500, ( yeah he is the guy rebuilding them ). They also told me the drained the fluid and it looked perfect. I had a transmission shop drain it today and these are the photos I got of the fluid.

52C32503-4B85-4B77-B47A-D78D080FAF51.jpg

Not sure what's up but I have just about had it with the car and the dealer.

Could that stuff in the fluid be some sort of an additive? Or your car came with the old ford trans fluid, and they dumped in the new stuff while not draining the old fluid completely.
As for the heat, it almost sounds like they forgot to put the sound deadening material back in, or even worst, they didn't put enough fluid back in and things overheating!

Not sure what that sound could be though ??? maybe clutch hub spring or pressure plate related?

I also started having transmission problems... even though I'm still under warranty, I'm skipping the dealers. I don't have a good relationship with a dealer around here, so I know they are going to play me for a month or so, then maybe attempt to rebuild the transmission and most likely fail at it. So I just decided to drop off the car to a performance shop (Rev Auto) that's known for rebuilding and beefing up MT-82s. While at it I'll be upgrading the clutch and flywheel, so cost's going to increase fast.

I know these things can be very frustrating, if you're going to stick with the dealer until the end, I wish you the best and patience!

Good luck. My transmission has been rebuilt three times already and is going back to the dealership tomorrow. They said they were going put a new transmission in it this time (but they've told me that before). I've been screwing around with this since my Boss was practically new. I am starting to think that Ford Engineering doesn't even know how to diagnose the issues with this transmission.

You should contact Daysha on TMS about this, the fact that these issues occur is bad but worse is that Ford's dealers seem to be absolutely useless. This is why Tesla's model makes sense over the franchise dealership model.

Boss0960 said:
Good luck. My transmission has been rebuilt three times already and is going back to the dealership tomorrow. They said they were going put a new transmission in it this time (but they've told me that before). I've been screwing around with this since my Boss was practically new. I am starting to think that Ford Engineering doesn't even know how to diagnose the issues with this transmission.

Just because someone has an engineering degree and can design things does not mean they can troubleshoot, unfortunately. And they never trust the EE... until a few wasted hours later.

I've been talking with a ford customer care woman named Allison. She has been great but it's the dealer, the techs are just so confused. My car has a GT500 transmission, then it has square cut gears etc etc. I'm so just over the whole car.

WinterSucks said:
Just because someone has an engineering degree and can design things does not mean they can troubleshoot, unfortunately. And they never trust the EE... until a few wasted hours later.
Wasted hours? LOL.

They've had my car in the shop for eight weeks so far and we are still right where we started. I'm kind of over this whole car too. I've been at this for nearly two years, practically since the car was new.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Step one admit the factory clutch is a pos. replace with McLeod. Step two fill TRANS with ford dual clutch fluid and XL-18. Step three enjoy trouble free transmission.

Foot note if damage is done it's done. Fluid swap and clutch swap can't fix worn off engagement teeth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
WinterSucks said:
Just because someone has an engineering degree and can design things does not mean they can troubleshoot, unfortunately.

Sad, but true. This is probably because most/many engineers don't actually build things themselves.

F.D. Sako said:
I also started having transmission problems... even though I'm still under warranty, I'm skipping the dealers. I don't have a good relationship with a dealer around here, so I know they are going to play me for a month or so, then maybe attempt to rebuild the transmission and most likely fail at it. So I just decided to drop off the car to a performance shop (Rev Auto) that's known for rebuilding and beefing up MT-82s. While at it I'll be upgrading the clutch and flywheel, so cost's going to increase fast.

What are they doing to "beef up" the MT-82?

Went to the dealer today and they told me "it wasn't their problem, take it somewhere else". Thanks, Ford.

Guys, I really need help finding a competent dealer in the north east.

Bloodykisses said:
Went to the dealer today and they told me "it wasn't their problem, take it somewhere else". Thanks, Ford.

Guys, I really need help finding a competent dealer in the north east.

Join The Mustang Source Forum and contact Deysha. This is your best option.

I'll make it easy for you. Here is Deysha's profile page at TMS. http://forums.themustangsource.com/members/fordservice-111098/

seca954 said:
What are they doing to "beef up" the MT-82?

Check out this thread for some info.

Boss0960 said:
Join The Mustang Source Forum and contact Deysha. This is your best option.

I think OP is already talking with a Ford customer care, not sure how much more Deysha can pull off, but may be worth a try!

OP, post up on the SVTP forum, there may be more people from the northeast that may have some experience with other dealers.

TMO Supporting Vendors