The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

More Photos of the 2021 Mach 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Must be caused by Anti Matter, ha. Dang computer and spellcheck has a mind of its own. Mine has been absolutely on a tear since a recent update, it will not let me spell some nonsense or even current slang terms. Fortunately the edit button stays up for a decent period here on TMO.

PS- I noticed you are from Somewhere, so I was wondering how long a drive is it in your Mustang to Anywhere?

Last edited:
Must be caused by Anti Matter, ha. Dang computer and spellcheck has a mind of its own. Mine has been absolutely on a tear since a recent update, it will no let me spell some nonsense or even current slang terms. Fortunately the edit button stays up for a decent period here on TMO.

PS- I noticed you are from Somewhere, so I was wondering how long a drive is it in your Mustang to Anywhere?

Aaa lot.. lol

I'm in Hsv Alabama, currently.

The one where I used to work there in engineering and still have close ties to many who do still. Their great product people aren't in place anymore. The FGT and GT350 were conceived under good leadership. The GT500 is a mixed bag. If you can take your blue tinted glasses off for a bit you may see the lack of vision.

goddamn......he scorched you @byronj

i dont give a schitt what turds ford puts out.....i will NEVER EVER buy a gm or dodge.....Lets see if Black Boss thinks his cftp gt500 is a “mixed Bag’’.

why arent you doing the track day monday with laps at autobahn Brian.......

Bay Area
goddamn......he scorched you @byronj

i dont give a schitt what turds ford puts out.....i will NEVER EVER buy a gm or dodge.....Lets see if Black Boss thinks his cftp gt500 is a “mixed Bag’’.

why arent you doing the track day monday with laps at autobahn Brian.......

I wouldn't consider it a scorch or burn. HAHA. As far as I knew he's just a new guy on TMO with a Mustang. But now since he has opened the doors stating he was an engineer at Ford I would hope he can provide us with more technical information, insider insight,,and input when needed. I hope he is useful in that dept. If not then he's still just a new guy IMHO. :p

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would have to contradict some of these statements after seeing the GT 500 in action at the Mustang Roundup last year. The car was driven down to Hastings ( not transported ) in a true father and son bonding drive. The Engineer who came down with the White Tornado brought his son along for the ride there and back. Let's fade to Friday night to an experience I have to admit had me grinding my teeth and watching a couple of dozen grown men visibly shaken at what was taking place.

While parked in one of the Condo Garages , Ford opened up the beast to a bunch of Motorheads and let them crawl in and out of the car ,but when all the gawking was over the Blue Oval Engineer jumped in the car and remarked , " Oh, this baby has been thoroughly tested." At that point he proceeded to take the car ( sitting ) to redline and let it bounce of the rev limiter for 5-10 seconds. Most of us were horrified at the long hold on the throttle , but no one had any inclining of what would happen next. To our sheer shock this procedure was redone no less than 20 more times, and every time we ( as spectators got nervous) the grinning Engineer would go on another 10 second rip. We actually told him to stop and he literally laughed manically and just kept doing it. In 30 years in the business, having been to Roush, SRT Engine Development, Arrow Racing Engines, etc. never seen anything so wild. Sure I have seen motors on dynos revved up , but never in a new car , just sitting , repeatedly like a hypnotic drug. What a crazy show for all attending , but many us really did think the Engineer had become unhinged.

So on Saturday , we wondered whether the GT 500 would just be a showpiece since it did have a 12.5 hour drive back home, but no it was thrown out on track for every session it was scheduled to run in , and then it ran others to give a few folks rides , and it never , repeat, never overheated---zip on heat soak.

Ford did do their homework and I can attest to a couple of calls I got ( separately ) over a few days from a Test Driver friend of mine , as well as a Ford Engineer while doing testing at Texas World Speedway. I was told not to say a thing but the excitement was that the car was not following the old goal of a straight line cruiser, the folks in charge wanted a track beast. They succeeded and the times they were running in Tejas showed only a GT was quicker , and suprisingly not as much as should be expected.

The dedication and passion of a small group of Enthusiast Engineers is why we have so many cool machines out there today , and being well acquainted with those at SRT also, we really are living in the age of real Muscle Cars . Forget the previous time of barely a decade , we are now fully moving into 3 decades of mean and nasty machines.

Realize a lot of the conversation is on the Mach 1 ,but many of the folks who were there had a hand in this as product time frame is often 2-4 years. There have been some typical corporate position movement ,but many still work within and the passionate members ( read Engineers ) stay quite close in the Ford Performance arena. Have some faith .....

Put Oct. on your calendar and make the Ford and Mustang Roundup --- there will be another surprise from Dearborn coming!

Last edited:
The one where I used to work there in engineering and still have close ties to many who do still. Their great product people aren't in place anymore. The FGT and GT350 were conceived under good leadership. The GT500 is a mixed bag. If you can take your blue tinted glasses off for a bit you may see the lack of vision.
Can you be more specific about what's a mixed bag on the GT500? Last September at the Mustang Roundup one of the lead Ford engineers went over the car pretty throughly and I was impressed what they did with it. Lots of little details were covered. The hood pins are a good example. There are always compromises and having worked at Ford you know cars are built to a price point. Plus the Mustang starts life as a rental car darling.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
IDK, but that Mach I "nostril grill" is uhhh ... interesting. I personally don't think it fits this gen.

I'm going to have to agree with @BmacIL on this one. Considering what FCA has been able to accomplish with the Challenger/Charger (just how many versions do they offer now? Umm 13! + 6 more for the Charger) and the current financial situation @ Ford Motor Co., if it weren't for the F-Series trucks, there would be no Mustang IMO. Thats not saying we should feel lucky that we have a Mach I to brag about. But Ford's priorities have not been the ICE Mustang and will not be going forward. I believe its kept around to usher in a new product line for the decades to follow.

I love my car, but knowing its shortcomings is a tough pill to swallow when I know that it could be SO MUCH better if given a Corp green light. The problem is they build these cars for the 65000 owners that don't care, not for the 10000 that do.
I'll step off my soap box now .... :D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel