The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

More Power!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Like many of us, I am after a little more power from my car if possible. I regularly shift the car anywhere between 6300-6700 rpm on track, but plan to raise that up to 7k at times. The rest of the car is pretty well sorted so really just looking for suggestions on engine parts. What mods will help me gain power from 4500 up to 7000 rpm? Don't care about anything past 7k.

Current engine mods:
2014 longblock
Airaid intake
Lethal O/R X
VMP tune that is kinda conservative for road course use

My initial thoughts were longtubes and a Cobra Jet intake setup, but a few people have given me push back saying the car won't make any extra power with the CJ intake in my rev range.

Thanks everyone!

My initial thoughts were longtubes and a Cobra Jet intake setup, but a few people have given me push back saying the car won't make any extra power with the CJ intake in my rev range.

CJ is a waste of time if you don't plan on ever spinning past 7k. This intake is meant to be spun to 77-8000rpm not for mid range power.

LTs won't gain you that much over the existing ORX, so doing this mod depends on how much hp/$ you are comfortable with.

Honestly, not much will gain you power in that range unless you plan on doing cams. An E85 tune (if you can get it) will help from 3k to redline, so that is your best bet. Otherwise get yourself some gears if you want mid range power.

Long tubes and CobraJet intake will be perfect for you. I made big power gains from about 4700rpm to redline, exactly where I live at the track. Even if you shut it down at 7000 you are still further ahead. Below are my dynos before and after. This is with a conservative set-up: BBK 1 3/4" long tubes, cats, and twin 65mm throttle body, safe tune. 1 7/8"LTs, no cats, and monoblade TB will get you higher peak horsepower but it would want to rev to 7.5-8k rpm.

I went from 370whp stock to 440whp, pretty significant gains.

Stock with a tune:
41773574632_165f3d4fcd_n.jpg Untitled by smallblock, on Flickr

CJ and LTs:
Untitled by smallblock, on Flickr

Last edited:

Am I safe in assuming that this is the blue line is tune only, and the red line is after adding LTs, CJ and the twin 65?[/QUOTE]

No, they are both LT's and CJ, the blue was just the first pull on dyno before tune was optimized. Red is the final tune. The other pic of the computer screen is completely stock (blue) and stock with just a tune (red). I wish I had them all overlayed for better comparison

That's interesting, and good to know.

Most of the comparisons you only see the CJ gaining after 6500 or so and the only reason you see gains is because the stock manifold drops like a rock while the CJ keeps power flat. And LTs gain a little bit across the board but nothing crazy.

You gained a solid 30rwhp at 5500 and 50rwhp from 6000 onwards.

Oh but now that I read futher, the stock pull was done in STD while the CJ/LT pull was done SAE. STD numbers are usually 5-10% higher so the gains are more inline.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I found this video from VMP very helpful when I was manifold shopping for the Gen 2 Coyote going in my 06.

TMO Supporting Vendors