The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MOTEC or AIM Digital Dash/Data Logger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay gents, I'm seriously considering a digital dash / data logger for my '13 Boss. The B302FRS I drove at FP Racing School last August had a MOTEC C125 color display, which I absolutely loved. The AIM MXG appears to be comparable.

Looking at both the MOTEC and AIM websites, a recent Winding Road review of the AIM MXG (which they sell), and from what little web forum discussion I can find on each one, it appears that AIM might provide a slightly better interface for video record/playback, but it's hard to tell for sure.

So, which one of these systems do you prefer and why? Which one is easier (or at least less complicated) to install? And how well, if at all, do either of these systems interface with a non-proprietary device, like a GoPro?

TYVM!!

Jeff Feit our engineer, loves AIM, I'm an old fart that still uses things like Sun Tachs, but the whizz kid always went with that product, I think because it was easier to integrate into all of the rest of his starwars stuff.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Haven't tried the Motec stuff personally but here's what I see as the advantages of each one (they will both hurt your wallet pretty badly):

AIM:
Ability to add SmartyCam and have instant data-logging overlay on your videos as soon as your session ends.
CANBUS support to pull many PIDs directly from ECU (config files already written)

MOTEC:
Has options for ACTIVE engagement with car (not just logging/recording) such as entire ECU replacement (For example: would allow you to do performance-oriented traction control like GM's PTM)

I would like to add that Motec Also has Math Channels that can activate things on the car.
Such as on our 302R our Trans and Diff Cooler are controlled by Motec when they reach a Certain temp they turn on.

Also you can use an AIM Smarty Cam with a Motec System

All good info, gents, thank you. Yeah, these things are spendy, and as with Rob, I may have to have somebody much more versed than I in this gee-whiz tech do the install and interface work. We shall see and this purchase may hinge, anyway, on whether there's a tax refund coming my way. :p

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
the5 said:
I would like to add that Motec Also has Math Channels that can activate things on the car.
Such as on our 302R our Trans and Diff Cooler are controlled by Motec when they reach a Certain temp they turn on.

AIM does this as well

I'd like to revive this OP as I am looking to buy an AIM or Motec or any new similar product available now. This is a couple year old post so I would like to know if there is new updated feedback.

I love everything about my Aim except that you can't have more than one HD camera last time I inquired.
Not sure about the Motec, but something to consider for the future (multiple cameras).
How about Race Keeper these days? Up to two HD and eight non-HD camaras.

Last edited:
With 2 AIM cameras you get separate records. Not combined like the VBOX or a racekeeper.
You can put two Smartycam's to the CAN expansion. Not sure if it can be done with the SOLO/Solo2(DL), but I've done it with an MXL2 and MXG dash.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel