The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MotoIQ - Project Budget 400whp S197 Mustang Track Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

Part 9 is now live:

Project Budget 400WHP S197 Mustang Track Car: Part 9 - Apex Wheels and Nitto Tires

"Choosing wheels and tires are some of the most important decisions you can make for a car. For this project’s theme of using the best bang-for-your-buck components possible, there really was only one decision to go with: Apex EC-7 wheels wrapped in Nitto NT01 tires."

0 Cover Project Budget 400whp Track Car Apex Wheels Nitto NT01 Tires.jpg

In the article:
-Apex EC-7
-Nitto NT-01
-Wheel & Tire weight comparisons vs the 19" setup
-Wheel spacer tech and clearances

-Billy

TX
Hey guys,

Part 10 is now live:

Project Budget 400WHP S197 Mustang Track Car: Part 10 - MGW Short Shifter

"We greatly improve the feel and control of our S197 Mustang’s Getrag MT82 transmission with a short shift kit from MGW. It's expensive, but is it worth it? Read on to find out what I liked and didn't like about this short shift kit."

View attachment 75106

-Billy
To help with the throw issue, I added one of these spec miata shift knobs to my MGW. It's perfect now, IMHO.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
Those are easy to make, just 7/8 aluminum rod and slide bike grip on it :)
Could also use throttle side grip which is little bigger in diameter.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Those are easy to make, just 7/8 aluminum rod and slide bike grip on it :)
Could also use throttle side grip which is little bigger in diameter.
You could also put a clutch lever on it to confuse the competition.
Win a few races with it and they will start popping up around the paddock. lol.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
I made one for my s2000 few years back but did not like it. I prefer bigger and more round like mustang has. I find it easier to shift.

IMG_1596.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors