The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Motor Oil talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I see in one of the other topics engine oil came up. The 5W-50 isn't all that common yet, and I typically change oil and filter in a new vehicle at 1000k. The recommended Boss motor oil is full synthetic, right? I've always run full synthetic in everything I own with a motor anyway.

How are you all approaching oil changes and what brand do you like? I'm assuming those of you racing your cars will have a different approach than the street rodders.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have a 'regular' Coyote motor that is supposed to run the 5W20 semi synthetic, I changed at 7500 street miles to Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula sythetic and a Mobil 1 820S equivalent filter when I added my oil cooler at 12000 miles. I'm due for a change after my track day last week 102 miles between 4800-7500 rpm=5000 miles per my old NASCAR rule of thumb. I'm thinking a 20W50 Mobil 1 or Castrol TWS 10W60 for the summer season. Does anyone know who makes the oil for Motorcraft?
Steve

It's my humble opinion that the 5w-50 is too thick for street use. Almost all engine wear happens from start-up up until the oil reaches proper operating temperature viscosity (around 212 degrees with a viscosity of 10). The thicker the oil, the longer it takes to thin out, the more engine wear will occur each time you start your cooled engine. The only reason I can come up with that Ford would recommend 5w-50 for the Boss and 5w-20 for the GT is that they expect the Boss to be used a lot on the track????

I plan on running Mobile1 0w-30 in my Boss on the street. If I start taking the Boss to the track (road course type) I'll use the 5w-50 at the track.

Some good oil info can be found here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

Ok, guys and gals - I'm beginning to search for oil for my upcoming 1K initial oil change. I'm finding 5w-50 Motorcraft is not that easy to get locally, and even on line I only see it available in 1 qt bottles for anywhere from $7.59 - $10.99 a qt. My other option is Castrol Syntech 5w-50, and again only in 1 qt. bottles.

Where are you guys getting yours? I understand that this same weight is recommended for GT 500s too, is that correct?

cloud9 said:
Dealer charges me $8/qt.
Thanks, Gary. Sounds like you're getting a good deal. Both dealers in my vicinity are charging $9.05 a quart. One will cut me a break if I buy a case of 12 @$8.50 a quart. I think I'll keep looking.

5w-50 is no thicker than straight 5w at ambient temperature. At 230 degrees 5 weight is to thin to protect your motor. At 230 degrees 50 weight is the same as 5w-50 weight at 230 degrees which if you have ever seen hot oil is very thin compare to cold oil. I would use 5w-50 without any question.

jimprw said:
cloud9 said:
Dealer charges me $8/qt.
Thanks, Gary. Sounds like you're getting a good deal. Both dealers in my vicinity are charging $9.05 a quart. One will cut me a break if I buy a case of 12 @$8.50 a quart. I think I'll keep looking.
Have you considered Red Line? It's pretty expensive ($11/qt). I like Amsoil, but they don't have the 5w-50.

I found Motorcraft for 7.29 /qt.
http://k-mansparts.com/items/motorcraft-filters-/fluids/motorcraft-5w-50-full-synthetic-motor-oil-xo-5w50-qgt-quart-xo-5w50-qgt-detail.htm

cloud9 said:
Dealer charges me $8/qt.

I am lucky also as my dealer is not trying to rape me on the oil, same price as your dealer. I saw that link for the oil at 7.29 but did not look to see what the shipping would be. You can find the Castrol but some people question the stock used for that. It looks like it is reformulated now, some stores by me still have the old can and some the new. I am not sure if it is really any different. I would also use the Mobil1 but have not found that in stock at any stores near me.

I've used Redline in my karts and motorcycles but never a car. I'll probably use Mobil 1 if I can find it locally otherwise I'll use Motorcraft.

Likely going Redline for all fluids to start. Easy to find online, and there's places who ship for free when you order by the case, such as these guys - http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/7961/Motor_Oils .

BossJockey said:
It's my humble opinion that the 5w-50 is too thick for street use. Almost all engine wear happens from start-up up until the oil reaches proper operating temperature viscosity (around 212 degrees with a viscosity of 10). The thicker the oil, the longer it takes to thin out, the more engine wear will occur each time you start your cooled engine. The only reason I can come up with that Ford would recommend 5w-50 for the Boss and 5w-20 for the GT is that they expect the Boss to be used a lot on the track????

I plan on running Mobile1 0w-30 in my Boss on the street. If I start taking the Boss to the track (road course type) I'll use the 5w-50 at the track.

Some good oil info can be found here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/
The first number is the cold/"winter"/startup viscosity. Thus 5W20 and 5W50 should have the same cold startup protection. This means that 5W50 is better for cold startup than 10W30. The second number is the viscosity rating at 100*C/212*F.

A good read:

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

Mobil 1 0W40 or 5W50 are two great options. Shell Synthetic "T6" (Heavy Duty) 5W40 is another good option.

STIG302 said:
I found Motorcraft for 7.29 /qt.
http://k-mansparts.com/items/motorcraft-filters-/fluids/motorcraft-5w-50-full-synthetic-motor-oil-xo-5w50-qgt-quart-xo-5w50-qgt-detail.htm
That's a good source. I actually found that site too, but when I tried to add 10 quarts to the shopping cart it said I had to enter less than 7 quarts - I suspected they were low on inventory at that time.

I just went into this site now and it will take 10 quarts @ $7.29/QT + $15.12 for FedEx shipping = $8.80/QT final price. I finally just caved and bought a case (12QTS) from my local dealer at the $8.50/QT price + sales tax = $9.08 a QT. But they had a case in stock at the time so what the heck.

Hey guys I found castrol fully synthetic 5w50 at advance auto parts on sale for 28.99 for 5 quarts and a Bosch oil filter for free. Of course they didn't have the filter for the boss, but I just got one for my other car.

Advance auto did not have a motor craft in stock and they didn't have a 2012 in their computer so I wnt with a puralator pl22500 which was for the 2011 5.0. It matched up perfectly but was about 1/2 inch longer than the fomoco one that came off. Hope that's okay!

Sorry about the horrible typing but I'm on my iPad ind it's a pain to correct. :).

TMO Supporting Vendors