The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Motor Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Always used Motorcaft 5w50, however with the recent price hikes I am switching to the Castrol 5w50. The Castrol is a parrafin-based wax from what I've heard, which can gum up inside the engine if left inactive for a long time...however as often as I'm changing my oil (averaging every 2k miles so far) I don't think this will matter.

sadil said:
I use Mobill 1 5W-50 as well.

Unleashed Beast from the SVT forum has recommended that we either switch to Mobil 1 0W-40 or try Amsoil 10W-30 for street applications, and use Amsoil 10W-40 for tracking.

I am open to all suggestions and appreciate his time to give me advice. I am just a little curious why there is such a huge push for Amsoil in his forums, including Amsoil's filters and oils for transmission and differential.

Has anyone tried the transmission oil? I thought the best oil for the MT-82 for butter shifts was the BG brand.

Sarosh

I run Redline MTL. Works great compared to some other 5.0s i have messed around with.

Oil will be oe spec. but the filter is a question. Ford dealer here says FL-500 is what they use for the Boss, but according to the info I have, Boss' have the FL-820S from the plant. According to the Ford Racing Parts the 820 will work. Any input?

snowboss said:
Oil will be oe spec. but the filter is a question. Ford dealer here says FL-500 is what they use for the Boss, but according to the info I have, Boss' have the FL-820S from the plant. According to the Ford Racing Parts the 820 will work. Any input?

There are two correct answers here. The FL500S is what Ford is telling us to use on the Boss and that is a correct application. However the Boss has the oil cooler added from the factory and it is a Ford Racing part, the correct filter for the oil cooler is a Ford Racing FL 820 (CM-6731-FL820). The best filter for track use would be the FR820S, however for street car the 500S will work fine to save money. The Motorcraft FL820S is not a correct filter for our cars.

Edit - adding this - the factory filter is not a 820S, it is different in size then the 500S but I understand that is ease of install at the factory line, some sort of clearance issue.

Finally I went with Amsoil 10W-40. I aslo bought one of their oil analyse kit and will send the result over the SVT forum.

For the filter I bought a case of 12 Ford Racing High Performance Oil Filter FL820 (M-6731-FL820) from levittownford.

YellowBoss said:
There are two correct answers here. The FL500S is what Ford is telling us to use on the Boss and that is a correct application. However the Boss has the oil cooler added from the factory and it is a Ford Racing part, the correct filter for the oil cooler is a Ford Racing FL 820 (CM-6731-FL820). The best filter for track use would be the FR820S, however for street car the 500S will work fine to save money. The Motorcraft FL820S is not a correct filter for our cars.

The FL820 (CM-6731-FL820) is the factory filter for the 302S. What is the FR820S? I couldn't find a part number online - was this a typeo? If not, what is the difference? For track use, what is the best filter to use with the stock Boss oil-to-water cooler?

Also, has anyone ever used Amsoil Dominator 15-50 Race oil? Can anyone think of any reason why this wouldn't be a good option (other than it's 12.45 a qt)? Thanks

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
KBBOSS1086 said:
Also, has anyone ever used Amsoil Dominator 15-50 Race oil? Can anyone think of any reason why this wouldn't be a good option (other than it's 12.45 a qt)? Thanks
race oil isnt a good idea in a car that doesnt have a race motor (ie rebuilt every season) and its a 15w.

Got it on the oil filter...thanks

Thanks for the input on the oil. I thought the zinc in the race oil would be beneficial. Also, am I not correct that the 2nd number is most important with oil? I don't run my car in temps under 35 degrees so I wasn't too worried about the 15, which is close to the 10 in the 10w40. I was thinking the 50 would be good for a high reving, hot running motor like ours. the amsoil 15w50 doesn't break down much - wouldn't that beneficial for our cars which are designed to run on 50 weight?

KBBOSS1086 said:
Got it on the oil filter...thanks

Thanks for the input on the oil. I thought the zinc in the race oil would be beneficial. Also, am I not correct that the 2nd number is most important with oil? I don't run my car in temps under 35 degrees so I wasn't too worried about the 15, which is close to the 10 in the 10w40. I was thinking the 50 would be good for a high reving, hot running motor like ours. the amsoil 15w50 doesn't break down much - wouldn't that beneficial for our cars which are designed to run on 50 weight?

Racing oil generally does not contain the detergents added to regular motor oil that work to keep the inside of your engine clean of sludge and other harmful deposits, and often contains substances that are harmful to the catalytic converters. If you're running a race engine in endurance events that is going to be rebuilt, say, after every race, racing oil is fine... that's what it's for. Its not for cars that see street use.

I'm certainly no expert, but there is so much misunderstanding, myth, general confusion, and just plain bad information about motor oil out there, even among knowledgable car enthusiasts, that it's hard for the layman enthusiast to make an informed decision on what type or brand of oil to use and under what types of conditions. Just understanding how, say, a synthetic 10W-30 oil compares to a mineral-based 10W-30 oil (hint: they really don't), is difficult, and the oil companies and marketers don't make easy or clear. Quite the opposite, in fact.

For a good, in depth tutorial on all things motor oil, recommend checking out Bob Is the Oil Guy "Motor Oil University"http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/. Lengthy, but informative... straightened out some oil misconceptions I had.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I was told by the person that builds mustang race engines that dont run a race oil in a street car. he then showed me his wall of shame and pointed out the ones that had run race oil in a street car and though just because it was the same weight etc it would be fine.

as for the 15w I wouldnt do it. the tolerances on these engines is pretty tight so you want the oil getting where it needs to go as soon as possible. and it was built to be started on 5w. if you dump it in will it work....yeah it will work. how many miles are you shaving off the life of your motor?

there are plenty of good oils in the correct weight I would use them. but that is me and thats what I run in my car.

the great oil debate is an on going debate all over every forum I go to. just search "oil" at any one of them and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for all the good info everyone. As you might have realized, I'm not an expert on oil. I will check bobs oil and take all your comments into consideratio.

My goal is to provide my motor with the best protection during the 20+ track events I'm planning for this year and I don't mind spending a little more $ (if I have to) for an oil that will do the best job in a high rpm/heat environment. Let the research begin. Thanks again for the info.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel