The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Motor Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys!
I was doing some research for which oil to use and come to this thread on SVT.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2012-2013-boss-302-mustang-373/781393-something-consider-when-oil-change-topic-happens-here.html.

What do you think of it? He does have some good point.

I know this topic have been discussed many time and asking for oil is like asking which one is better Mustang or Camaro? ;D

I know nothing about oil and was going to stay with the ford stuff(mostly for warranty concern) or redline 5W-50 since I will be switching to redline for the MT-82 and the Torsen.

My car is mostly a Sunday cruiser and was hoping to hit the track at least 2 day a month and planned to do oil change every 4 month or 6-7 track day.

What is your advice?
Thanks
Florian

Redline is fine but will increase your oil pressure. I saw oil pressure at cold start bury the needle on my gauge at over 100 psi. I got my oil analysis from 2 track days at almost 3K miles with Amsoil 10w40 and it was almost perfect. The oil pressure is also consistent with where it should be. Been running Amsoil and will continue to. Will never run motorcraft in this car. Trans fluid has already been replaced and will likely change out rear diff fluid soon.

I've run Red Line in my '11 GT and my '13 Boss. I have never experienced any high oil pressure. I do prefer Amsoil over Red Line, but they don't offer a 5W-50 and I wanted to wait a few thousand miles to make sure my Road Runner is solid.

Smilieboy said:
Redline is fine but will increase your oil pressure. I saw oil pressure at cold start bury the needle on my gauge at over 100 psi. I got my oil analysis from 2 track days at almost 3K miles with Amsoil 10w40 and it was almost perfect. The oil pressure is also consistent with where it should be. Been running Amsoil and will continue to. Will never run motorcraft in this car. Trans fluid has already been replaced and will likely change out rear diff fluid soon.
What are you using for your trans and diff?
I was going to use redline MTL for the trans and Lightweight schockproof for the diff.

Also what's the normal pressure for the Boss and what could happen if the pressure is too high (or too low)?
Is there any difference in pressure between street driving and racing?

I don't have any oil pressure yet(planning to get one now :)). And since I will racing the car for the first time I will not push to it's limit yet.
Thanks
Florian

I am running Redline in the trans. Haven't done the Diff yet. I am saying the oil pressure was high because i had remembered seeing the oil pump is rated to 90 psi. So seeing it go higher than 100psi kinda worried me.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Swiss Boss said:
My car is mostly a Sunday cruiser and was hoping to hit the track at least 2 day a month and planned to do oil change every 4 month or 6-7 track day.

What is your advice?
Thanks
Florian

I'd change sooner than 6-7 track days. Check how it looks after 2 or 3 days, and I think you'll probably change your mind.

Swiss Boss said:
Hi guys!
I was doing some research for which oil to use and come to this thread on SVT.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2012-2013-boss-302-mustang-373/781393-something-consider-when-oil-change-topic-happens-here.html.

What do you think of it? He does have some good point.

I know this topic have been discussed many time and asking for oil is like asking which one is better Mustang or Camaro? ;D

I know nothing about oil and was going to stay with the ford stuff(mostly for warranty concern) or redline 5W-50 since I will be switching to redline for the MT-82 and the Torsen.

What is your advice?
Thanks
Florian
That was a lot of good information in that thread, read the hole thing and it made a lot of sense. I think I'm going to start running the Amsoil 10w40. If it's as stable as the data suggest then my engine would last 2x longer then running the motorcraft or casteroil blend. I'm not worried about my oil being checked by ford because the motorcraft oil breaks down from a 50 to a 40 in 2k miles, the amsoil maintains it's integrity for 15k plus miles.

Its apparent to me that UnleashedBeast (Troy) knows more about oil than I ever will, but his claim that MotorCraft 5w-50 shears to 40 weight in 1000 miles is not what I experienced in my oil analysis. I notice he has a dedicated Boss thread, I'll register over there and begin submitting my data for community use.

askjeffro said:
Its apparent to me that UnleashedBeast (Troy) knows more about oil than I ever will, but his claim that MotorCraft 5w-50 shears to 40 weight in 1000 miles is not what I experienced in my oil analysis. I notice he has a dedicated Boss thread, I'll register over there and begin submitting my data for community use.
That was some amazing oil analysis info! I have never tried Amsoil. Sounds like its pretty good oil. I change the oil after every race weekend and at 10 bucks a quart, its about the same price as the other oils I have been using. I hope this year my oil temps will be lower than 300 degrees in the August races I experienced last year. A new oil cooler and better oil may acheive this.

I am going to give the Amsoil 10W-40 a try. Most of us really don't need the lower rating to be very high anyways since we are summer drivers. Plus from what I have read elsewhere, in order to get a low rating cold and a high rating like 50 they have to add longer polymer chains that shear easier than the ones they need in 10W-40, for instance. Am I right or way off?

WinterSucks said:
I am going to give the Amsoil 10W-40 a try. Most of us really don't need the lower rating to be very high anyways since we are summer drivers. Plus from what I have read elsewhere, in order to get a low rating cold and a high rating like 50 they have to add longer polymer chains that shear easier than the ones they need in 10W-40, for instance. Am I right or way off?

That appears to be the consensus. Always consider your personal application. For example, if you are going to do a track day during the summer on fresh oil, then change it afterwards, what properties do you really want as opposed to a fill for 5000 miles of daily driving in the winter.

askjeffro said:

He is baseing it off of data he has recieved from people who have provided oil. Yours may have been used differently from what those people did. Still, i wouldn't trust MC. Too cheaply made and not worth the risk. Ill go with American made and quality.

After 28 years of Indy Car Racing, I only use Mobil 1.
All the engine builders I have dealt with (Cosworth, Honda, Ilmore) use over the counter Mobil 1.
I use it in all my cars, never had a failure.
I buy the 5-50 from NAPA.

Mobil 5W50 right from the Ford Canada, I called a bunch of dealers including SVT dealers and was told Ford Canada was sending them Mobil 1 in 5W50 instead of Motorcraft.

I use Mobill 1 5W-50 as well.

Unleashed Beast from the SVT forum has recommended that we either switch to Mobil 1 0W-40 or try Amsoil 10W-30 for street applications, and use Amsoil 10W-40 for tracking.

I am open to all suggestions and appreciate his time to give me advice. I am just a little curious why there is such a huge push for Amsoil in his forums, including Amsoil's filters and oils for transmission and differential.

Has anyone tried the transmission oil? I thought the best oil for the MT-82 for butter shifts was the BG brand.

Sarosh

I just read the whole post as well..great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

When I had my s2000, I used nothing but amsoil full synthetic, and pretty much every mechanic I talked to in regards to the s2000 recommend it. My boss' previous owner ran MC, but I think I'll be switching to Amsoil 10w-40 very soon.

TMO Supporting Vendors