The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Motor Trend's Response

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
As you probably would have expected, in the current June issue of Motor Trend, readers critisized the editor for their test comparison between the 2012 Boss LS and Chevy's ZL1 that was reported in an earlier edition. One letter writer critisized MT for not doing a comparison between a 650 hp Gt500 and the ZL1. MT's lame response (IMHO) was "as we mentioned explicitly in the article, the 2013GT500 was unavailable at the time of the comparison". While this may be true I have 2 questons for the editor of MT regarding this vehicle comparison. 1) Why did MT chose not to wait until the 2013 GT500 was available so they could make a more appropriate apples/apples comparison? and 2) Why didn't MT compare the ZL1 against say a Nissan GTR or the new SRT Viper or Porsche 911 instead?

The apples/orange biased comparison that was made is inexcusable. Even though the Boss was outmatched by 136 supercharged horsepower, the Boss did remarkably well none the less. I have my doubts that MT will ever have the courage to compare the new GT500 with the ZL1. MT has a vested interest in protecting its advertising budget largely conceived in part by donations from Government Motors.

MMD

Because someone else would have gotten a ZL1 comparison done before them if they waited. And the Boss, since there is no direct competitor from Dodge, was the best they could do.

I think they did the comparison because 1. The 13 GT500 is not available, and 2. Because the Boss is such a good car and GM developed the ZL-1 to handle well and handle track duty. With the technology and HP advantage in the zl-1 I should beat the boss. So don't stress. The cost of tracking the titanic ZL-1 will be enormous. Let's just wait and see what the 13 GT 500 does. Let's hope Ford makes sure they have the GT 500 set up right so it beats the ZL-1. They have had plenty of time to tweak it since the ZL-1 has been out for a while.

Dvendet

CaliMR said:
Because someone else would have gotten a ZL1 comparison done before them if they waited. And the Boss, since there is no direct competitor from Dodge, was the best they could do.
I don't know if I buy your arguement Cali. The GTR, the Porsche, the Viper (and others) were available. Did MT do comparisons with the Boss andwith say the Z06 Corvette when the Boss first hit the street last year? I believe this comparison reaks of bias from MT and the driver.

The gov motors zl-whatever has a supercharger so you figure they were to scared to compare to another supercharged car it is pretty simple put a supercharger on any boss then it would be comparable except for the lean from the gov ;D

P.S. do you think any of the gov motors cars could keep up to a supercharged boss ::)

Dvendet

Tflong24 said:
I think they did the comparison because 1. The 13 GT500 is not available, and 2. Because the Boss is such a good car and GM developed the ZL-1 to handle well and handle track duty. With the technology and HP advantage in the zl-1 I should beat the boss. So don't stress. The cost of tracking the titanic ZL-1 will be enormous. Let's just wait and see what the 13 GT 500 does. Let's hope Ford makes sure they have the GT 500 set up right so it beats the ZL-1. They have had plenty of time to tweak it since the ZL-1 has been out for a while.
I'll be waiting for that comparison with bated-breath. Please PM me whenever you see MT writes this one up.

Regards,
MMD

Dvendet

jeepinocala said:
The gov motors zl-whatever has a supercharger so you figure they were to scared to compare to another supercharged car it is pretty simple put a supercharger on any boss then it would be comparable except for the lean from the gov ;D

P.S. do you think any of the gov motors cars could keep up to a supercharged boss ::)
You're preaching to the choir Jeep. I agree with what your saying.

My comments were not to stir this even though it's all true ;D Anyway I owned a 2010 camaro 2ss with every option you could get and trust me when I say I would go against any camaro made today with my boss on a track they are not in the same class.

TheMarco said:
I think it would be really awesome if Republican propaganda could stay out of this forum.

Just my 2 cents.

LOL. I assumed it was Independent propaganda myself. Someone with buyers remorse...

MakeMyDay said:
CaliMR said:
I don't know if I buy your arguement Cali. The GTR, the Porsche, the Viper (and others) were available. Did MT do comparisons with the Boss andwith say the Z06 Corvette when the Boss first hit the street last year? I believe this comparison reaks of bias from MT and the driver.
And those are apples to apples comparisons? Ford will get revenge soon enough.

Pleas keep politics at the other forums!

MakeMyDay said:
CaliMR said:

Mustang and Camaro are old time rivals, Camaro and GTR, etc are not. And the Mustang and Vetter are not either. Not that I would not like to see how they stack up. And bias is a part of every article, and every post for that matter. Like when GRM tested all the tires and their sponsor did better than all the others despite it losing in every other comparison and in actual competition. Also I am sure if they went to GM with a GTR and asked for the keys to the ZL1 they would have said no. Ford probably didn't care, as the Boss was bound to be able to hold its own.

KYBOSSLS said:
As I recall in 66 Shelby had a GT350S..we need a Boss302SC, option from FORD...then bring on the GM...or this car from GMphoto-44.jpg and no I'm not PC correct in KY

I rode in one. It was insane. The manager of the local Toyota dealer had 2, one in a bubble in his garage and one he DDed. I don't know how people drove them with bias ply tires and old school brakes.

Dvendet

boss2511 said:
really people are crying about a funny picture? this is why america sucks dont want to offend anyone
It's called political correctness Boss2511. America has changed forever I fear.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
MakeMyDay said:
boss2511 said:
really people are crying about a funny picture? this is why america sucks dont want to offend anyone
yeah I am in the military and its all politics makes me want to vomit its why I will never make E7

MakeMyDay said:
boss2511 said:

The problem is that most people only think it's 'funny' when a joke targets 'the other party'. This happens on both sides :)

Disclaimer: I personally think both 'parties' are essentially the same. There's a small layer of blue or red paint that makes things look different but essentially all politicians are crooks :D

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
TheMarco said:
MakeMyDay said:
boss2511 said:

The problem is that most people only think it's 'funny' when a joke targets 'the other party'. This happens on both sides :)

Disclaimer: I personally think both 'parties' are essentially the same. There's a small layer of blue or red paint that makes things look different but essentially all politicians are crooks :D
+1 I think the same thing all a bunch of crooks

TMO Supporting Vendors