The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Motorcraft 5w50 has a new sibling from Castrol...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
From the 2017 Ford GT owner's manual:

13.7 Qt (12.97 L) Castrol Edge® Supercar SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor
Oil - WSS-M2C-931-C

If you can't get Castrol then:

"We recommend Castrol Edge Supercar
5W-50 motor oil for your Ford GT. If this
oil is not available, use motor oils of the
recommended viscosity grade that meet
the Ford specification of WSS-M2C931-C
such as Motorcraft® 5W-50.
Do not use oil labeled with API SN service
category unless the label also displays the
API certification mark"

The GT calls for the same brake fluid as the GT350 - PM20 DOT4LV.

Nice find!

This super car oil has a lower VI than even Motorcraft. 170 vs. 181. Admitatley the "Titanium FST" is an additive and not related to the base oil. Interesting.

In the V6L
Find a dealer that has some customers with GT Supercars and get some empty Castrol containers you can refill with Motul. Seems like the simplest solution ;-)

In the V6L
Hey that had the tone of some inside knowledge. Nah Motul doesn’t do a 5-50. Your just joshin me.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was belaboring the obvious. If you want to impress your sponsors, you need some high quality decorations for your pit stall. Nobody's going to check to see what's actually in those decorative and oh-so brand-correct bottles. Heck, it would probably get the job done if you just to left a pile of empty Castrol bottles lying around.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
Got a response back from Castrol on the 5w50 Castrol Supercar Oil

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Currently Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR 5W-50 (Ford GT specified engine oil) is only available for purchase through Ford dealership locations.

If the Ford dealer does not stock the product, the Parts department should be able to order it through their normal Ford Customer Service ordering process, like any other Ford part.

Castrol Consumer Relations

This is good info. I’m a Mobil1 guy myself, but I don’t like to be “brand loyal”, as I believe it stifles innovation and breeds complacency.

I’ll check this out, but it’s gonna be hard to beat NAPA’s annual sale on mobil1...

The original producer of Motorcraft label 5w50 was Conoco Phillips. So does this mean Conoco is no longer producing that oil for the Motorcraft brand and Ford dealers are now stocking Castrol by name? I have used both Motorcraft and Mobil 1. Oddly enough last purchase from local Ford dealer the motorcraft 5w 50 by case worked out to 6.25 Qt

The only listing I could find for Castrol "Super Car" oil shows its as10w60 not 5 w 50

Last edited:
In the V6L
The original producer of Motorcraft label 5w50 was Conoco Phillips. So does this mean Conoco is no longer producing that oil for the Motorcraft brand and Ford dealers are now stocking Castrol by name? I have used both Motorcraft and Mobil 1. Oddly enough last purchase from local Ford dealer the motorcraft 5w 50 by case worked out to 6.25 Qt

The only listing I could find for Castrol "Super Car" oil shows its as10w60 not 5 w 50
Motorcraft 5w50 is still produced by a blender to Ford's specs but it's not clear who's doing it now that ConocoPhillips sold off its downstream products business. Regardless, Castrol Supercar 5w50 was rolled out as part of a marketing partnership at the launch of the new Ford GT. Castrol did a similar deal with BMW for TWS 10w60 for the M cars back in about 1998 or so. You could only buy TWS from BMW dealers, although after five years of exclusivity, Castrol rolled out an Edge product that met the same specs.

Supercar 5w50 is undoubtedly a great product, but there's no reason to believe it's superior to Motorcraft. Both oils meet the same specs.

TMO Supporting Vendors