The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Motorcraft XL-18 Transmission Oil Additive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was hoping some of you long time owners could help with this. As I get to know my Boss and research what others have done, I came across some info on Motorcraft XL-18 that was added to MT82 transmissions in cars built after 7/9/2012. Apparently the transmission oil from Ford was switched on 8/15/2011 to XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Oil then the additive was added on 7/9/212.

My car was built on 3/20/2012 so per the info out there does NOT have the additive.

I know many have switched to Redline MLT or Amsoil MTF or even Royal Purple Synchromesh but I thought I might try adding the XL18 first.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance . . .

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I had redline MTL. Then back to just factory fluid and now factory qdc fluid and xl-18. It's great now best combo to date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a few threads concerning the additive, long one here;
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/541546-mt-82-transmission-additive-update.html
Did not have the additive added to mine, so can't comment, but I have not had any reason to add it since I had the dual clutch fluid change on mine.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
aircare84 said:
There is a few threads concerning the additive, long one here;
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/541546-mt-82-transmission-additive-update.html
Did not have the additive added to mine, so can't comment, but I have not had any reason to add it since I had the dual clutch fluid change on mine.
add it I noticed a difference right away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factory fill on my 2012 was Motorcraft XT-M5-QS

Tried Redline MTL and didn't notice much of a difference

Then tried Motorcraft XT-11-QDC and noticed a very slight improvement in cold shifting

Now using Motorcraft XT-11-QDC with the XL-18 additive and again noticed a very slight improvement in cold shifting

The Motorcraft Dual Clutch fluid with additive offers the best cold shifting and faster warm-up

However, I also suspect (a pure guess) that the slightly heavier weight of the original Motorcraft Full Synthetic MTF might offer better high temperature/track protection

My Boss was built 6-1-2012 my dealer provided the additive, I installed it. It helped tremendously smoothing shifts. Tranny is still clunky cold, but not as much, and warm it shifts as good as any I've had in the past.

My last modification this weekend was to pour in Motorcraft XL-18 Additive into the transmission. The info I have is cars mfg after 8/15/2011 have the newer XT-11-QDC fluid (for those of us still running factory transmission oil) and the XL18 additive began on 7/9/2012. Since my car was mfg on 3/12/2012 it did NOT have the XL-18 installed at the factory.

My first thought was it was "snake oil" but for $25 bucks I'd give it a try. Worst case I was going to swap for Redline or Amsoil for the last little improvement.

Anyway jack to handwash was 12 minutes. Took car for ride didn't notice all that different on Sat. Took the car out Sunday morning and it felt really good. All in all I'm happy with my final configuration.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being perfect:
Stock Shifter with Barton 2-Post = 4-5
Swapping MGW for Stock Shifter = 6-7
Adding Blowfish to MGW Shifter = 7-8
Adding XL18 to Stock oil = 8

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel