The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MotorTrend 2013 GT Premium Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know it is not strictly related, but the article mentions the Boss as well as the GT500 in a comparative way in some areas. It describes both the Boss and the GT 500 exhaust note as "epic" :)

Be sure to take a look at the video within the article. They ask if the new GT is a "budget Boss". (they never answer this, though).

The car in the video also seems to exhibit tremendous brake dive; it's really visible.

The guy driving in the video KILLS the shifter - I'm guessing it's the same one in the Boss. This is the first time I've seen it so deservedly bashed in a test. Watch the video after it seems to end - go into the credits. They leave the out takes in where he misses some shifts :)

It also has leather Recaros...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1206_2013_ford_mustang_gt_premium_first_test/

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having the lock out problem. LOL

I saw a blurb for some british reviewers driving the GT500 and ZL1, has that been posted here? Didn't get to read the article

Allot of BOSS owners are switching the shifter out for the MGW Shifter. I wonder if this helps the "lockout" and shift issues... It should make it smoother than the stock shifter, but at some point it becomes the driver or the tranny instead of the shift mechanism.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
As most of you guys already know, I had lockout issues going 5 - 3 or 4 - 3 last yearin my Boss' maiden track voyage at VIR. After that event I installed the MGW shifter and I have never had another lockout issue and have driven with the MGW installed in at least a dozen track days since then. I had also put Redline MTL in the tranny when the MGW was installed.

I have just installed the JHR high volume clutch line in as a preventative measure, although I personally have never had the clutch pedal stick on me.

rpm3dinc said:
Allot of BOSS owners are switching the shifter out for the MGW Shifter. I wonder if this helps the "lockout" and shift issues... It should make it smoother than the stock shifter, but at some point it becomes the driver or the tranny instead of the shift mechanism.
My stock shifter with a Steeda shifter bracket and Redline MTL shifts like butter and feels fine to me. The MGW incorporates a superior designed shifter bracket and I believe that's where most of their improvement comes from. They also have more substantial bushings in the linkage. Check my shifter bracket thread for photos of the stock vs. Steeda. I ordered the MGW yesterday in hopes that it eliminates my lock out problems and while I hope it does I remain somewhat skeptical.

I figured out I can avoid 3rd lockouts if I let the stick self center then push it about 1/4" to the right then push it up. It is not ideal but it seems to work. If my lockouts are similar to other peoples' lockouts, I can see how a shifter would fix them. A stronger or better aligned (not sure which) centering spring would fix mine.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Cali - you nailed it - it's an alignment issue. At least it was with me. That's why the quicker I tried to shift the more the issue happened, I believe it's becuase the faster (and harder) you try to shift the more prone you are to hitting the left and right limits of the gates on the stock unit. Since there's no play at all in the MGW it seems to always find its' mark no matter how 'sloppy' my right hand gets.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The 2013 GT Track Pack is a budget Laguna Seca until the engine pops on the track.

Got my Steeda Tri-Ax installed, feels great. Won't be back on-track until early September to truly evaluate the performance, however. With all the slop removed from the factory shifter, the trans internal center-return spring feels as strong as the one in my '06 MGW unit. Daddy likey.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I like how he says the mustang makes you like it lol

As for the shifter with the stock one I know what he is talking about as I had to shift it really slow to 3rd at the drag strip. with the mgw that is no longer an issue.

I found that if I twist my hand with my palm towards the right when I shift 2-3 then I automatically add pressure to the right which slips it in. If I do it straight like with every other car, it locks out. Even if I use my hand like a wall and just push straight, unless there is right pressure it will lock out when hot. I haven't experimented enough with 4-3 to figure out a work around yet, and the twisted wrist is not really comfortable, but it is a temp fix until I get the shifter. I don't want to mod my car until I resolve the issues I am having stock, or they will probably blame the mods. The 3rd lock outs do not appear to be involved in the clutch issues I am having, but the 1st lock outs and 1st and now 2nd kick outs I still think are.

I think seating position and the control triangle is also an issue in this car.

Guys try the palm twisted to the right for shifting 2->3, it may allow faster shifts. The twist gets your arm to angle outward when pushed just enough to get the gear in.

TMO Supporting Vendors