The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mounting anti sub belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking for advise on mounting my anti sub belt with the 6 point Crow belt set. I have a Watson Racing 4 point roll bar and the Cooltech belt mounts. Using stock Boss 302 Recaro seats. Do they just clip in same location as the lap belts? If so, the only way I see them to function is to route up over the side bolsters and under your legs/ butt and up to the quick lock. Thanks for any info.

At the end of the thread below is a photo and some discussion on this.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7221.0

Interesting threads. I was messing around last night and concluded with the stock seat and roll bar, the only way the anti sub would do anything if it was routed sides of the seat, sat on it and came up the "boys" way to connect just as shown. Also made me think of the Hans. Although we seem to be mostly doing track days with our cars, it does not take much to get hurt or killed. My wife recently rode with me during 1 session (1 only) at Laguna and quickly turned in her helmet afterward. Got me thinking about my 2 sons and safety. A bit of $$$ is worth decreasing the injury risk Thanks again for the info.

Novato. Sold you Laguna wheels some time back. Saw you at Sears Point when your friend had the oil cooler fail. That was a bummer! Installing my roll bar soon. Unfortunately UPS had a bad day and I received an open box. Roll bar made it o.k. No hardware though. I did a similar set up in my '03 Cobra. Installation in the Boss should go much easier as I plan to not leave it in all the time. I considered the harness bar route, but I like the added structure/ safety of the Watson bar. Plus I can remove it after track days. I opted for 6 pt. harness because I found myself moving around too much in the car. Probably will do a neck brace for now as well. I rejoined the site after a couple of track days because of the comments/ info. regarding track day usage. So far my main complaint would be the transmission. 20 days at the dealer has made it acceptable, but ultimately I think a Tremec conversion is the solution. Sorry about the question in the "how to" section. No intent to clog up the site.

576 said:
Interesting threads. I was messing around last night and concluded with the stock seat and roll bar, the only way the anti sub would do anything if it was routed sides of the seat, sat on it and came up the "boys" way to connect just as shown. Also made me think of the Hans. Although we seem to be mostly doing track days with our cars, it does not take much to get hurt or killed. My wife recently rode with me during 1 session (1 only) at Laguna and quickly turned in her helmet afterward. Got me thinking about my 2 sons and safety. A bit of $$$ is worth decreasing the injury risk Thanks again for the info.

You can mount the seat belt sub. strap thru the drivers side seat with no real problems. I have done this on my car. The passenger seat is a different story ,the gel pack is in a position that you can not. The passenger must be routed out side the seat.

What Rick said...

I've also got the Watson/Crow setup with the sub belt clipped to rear loops at the OEM anchor locations routed between back/bottom cushion of 'stock' Recaros.

I've run in NASA HPDE's without any tech issues on the setup.

Steve

NFSBOSS said:
Jim I haven't had any issues routing my passenger sub belt between the seat cushions. What's the issue?

I put mine on the drivers side thru the cushion between my legs. just like a good racing seat. The anchor is on the floor below the seat. The Gel pack on the drivers side is further to rear on the drivers side. I will admit it was a pain.

I am just curious why you would want the safety of a 6-point and compromise on not buying a racing seat? I have read many times, and from Schroth also, that it isn't a good idea to mod a seat to accept sub-belts. Being a mostly street use car and cost is an issue for me right now, which is why I am going with this option: https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/profi-asm/profi-II-asm

This allows the stock seat to be used, and it can be upgraded later to be a 6-point if/when I get a more serious, a racing seat, and Hans. The shoulder strap design allows it to behave similar to a 3-point, so a Hans is not as important as it is with a 6-point. Plus it comes with street legal latch that can also be changed out for a typical unit. Since there is interest in keeping the stock seat, I am assuming that you are in the same situation as I am, using it as a street car and HPDE car. Seems like this 4-point with ASM is the best option for occasional track duty, no?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
WinterSucks said:
I am just curious why you would want the safety of a 6-point and compromise on not buying a racing seat? I have read many times, and from Schroth also, that it isn't a good idea to mod a seat to accept sub-belts. Being a mostly street use car and cost is an issue for me right now, which is why I am going with this option: https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/profi-asm/profi-II-asm

This allows the stock seat to be used, and it can be upgraded later to be a 6-point if/when I get a more serious, a racing seat, and Hans. The shoulder strap design allows it to behave similar to a 3-point, so a Hans is not as important as it is with a 6-point. Plus it comes with street legal latch that can also be changed out for a typical unit. Since there is interest in keeping the stock seat, I am assuming that you are in the same situation as I am, using it as a street car and HPDE car. Seems like this 4-point with ASM is the best option for occasional track duty, no?

4 pt ASM is the right answer and is MUCH safer than a 6 point modified seat approach. Some clubs will not even let you on the track with a poor 6 point implementation. I know Porsche, Audi and BMW clubs will not. NASA NE probably will have an issue with it also.

Be safe.

-Pete

PeteInCT said:
4 pt ASM is the right answer and is MUCH safer than a 6 point modified seat approach. Some clubs will not even let you on the track with a poor 6 point implementation. I know Porsche, Audi and BMW clubs will not. NASA NE probably will have an issue with it also.

Be safe.

-Pete
But they're fine with you sitting on the sub belt and routing it between the seat cushions? No group has questioned mine that way so far.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
NFSBOSS said:
But they're fine with you sitting on the sub belt and routing it between the seat cushions? No group has questioned mine that way so far.

Yes. Its the modification of the seat that does not, at least possibly, have the proper supports that they question. If they don't understand the safety level on quick inspection they default to ' not allowed' to be on the safe side.

-Pete

TMO Supporting Vendors