The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Moving down on tire width and compound to learn?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So here's the deal. I am new to HPDE's. I worked on the car and upgraded to the 6 pots and 19x11 305's 200tw even before I hit the track. A car with almost 500 hp is new to me. I think that I may have a hard time taking the car to it's limits and learning. I have a chance to grab some apex 18x10's with 275 square 360 tread wear tires. I really don't want the 360's but have an idea. What if I just slow down, run that setup, destroy them and learn the car better. Once I have some proficiency maybe move up on compound or slicks to 295's and keep going. After that keep the 200tw on the 11's with the 305's and progress. I'm trying to have 2 sets of track wheels - on on the car and on ready to go just in case. I could even eventually run some endurance 200tw on the 10's as my street and intermit track tires. I don use the stang more than 3-4K per year. Loong for input from you seasoned guys. Thanks!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Have you run your current set up much?
How much of a “Deal” are the 18x10’s? The reason I ask is that once you “Learn” and get a taste of the grip of 305’s stickies, the 18x10’s are likely to just gather dust. As the saying goes ”Ask me how I know”.
As far as learning in lessor tires, I believe you can run 285’s on 11” wheels. Get a second set of 18x11’s and run a harder 285 as “Training Wheels”. :)

Have you run your current set up much?
How much of a “Deal” are the 18x10’s? The reason I ask is that once you “Learn” and get a taste of the grip of 305’s stickies, the 18x10’s are likely to just gather dust. As the saying goes ”Ask me how I know”.
As far as learning in lessor tires, I believe you can run 285’s on 11” wheels. Get a second set of 18x11’s and run a harder 285 as “Training Wheels”. :)
It's not that geat of a deal - 1800 - for wheels with tires I really don't want. I only have maybe 10 hrs of track time on the 305 re71 R's but was running within 5 seconds of experienced mustang guys after my first weekend. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. I think I'll wait and eventually get 18x11s run the 19s and eventually slicks for the 18s then something like rs4s or contis for the 19s as street and track backup.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Consider a school with cars comparable to yours...arrive and drive.

Time is priceless (right Bill, Jdee - lol)...and something like Ron Fellows' school would teach you stuff that could take years (otherwise) to learn.

The cost of the school would be quickly recovered in terms of $$$ saved on tires and consumables while you work yourself up the learning curve.

Free advice...lol.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Listen to RES, I have only been to 10 Driving/Racing Schools and I learned something new every time. Ron Fellow school in Pahrump, NV. would be one good choice ( though I imagine our Canadian friend RES was thinking of the Canadian school ) and there are others. I often suggest folks join NASA because they have a true ladder structure for Instruction and though not professional, the fact that the Instructors are licensed, you have a logbook with driving analysis and recommendations as you move forward, and you will get one on one help.

If you have any questions on Schools to attend, drop me a note, but as TMS noted, no need to go backward and 1800 for wheels that could likely just collect dust would also be a good down payment for a pro-school.

TMO Supporting Vendors