The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Moving to GA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welp looks like I'll be making a big move from Arizona to Augusta GA within the next month. Looking for thoughts and suggestions about hitting the tracks in that part of the country, also trustworthy shops, and anything else you all might find helpful, I don't know the area at all...
Thanks

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
Road Atlanta
Roebling
Atlanta Motorsports Park
Carolina Motorsports Park
Barber

Some of the best in the country.
What are your comparisons between Barber and RA for a relatively inexperienced HPDE guy (5 days as Mid-Ohio and 2 days at Charlotte Roval with GT350 Track Attack)

I almost signed up for RA for Mid-February 2022, but had strong concerns about track temps in the 30s for more than half the day and strong chance of rain to boot. I didn't think those conditions would be the right way to introduce myself to the track (especially on cup2s).

So... Now I am looking at RA or Barber in mid-March. I feel good about temps in GA and AL in March. I just don't know which track to hit. My goal is to pick 1 track (NCM might also fit the bill) and put in several days to learn the track and be promoted to Solo so I can take my dad out for a day in May, June July or August.

RA has the dynamic layout... And that gravel pit entering 10, then that downhill of 12 (I think) leading to the front stretch. I do not know much about Barber.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Completely different tracks.

Barber is like a nice Sunday drive. New technology surface. Gradual, but fun elevation change. Good speed. The track is beautiful in every aspect…almost an outdoor art museum…and they have an actual automotive/motorcycle museum. It is my favorite track.

RA is just raw kick your ass, nut in your throat bring your A-game. 120-160MPH (depending on car) down the back stretch to a gut wrenching hard 90 left turn into 10A through 10B up the hill into 11 under the bridge where you are literally looking directly into the sky when the ground exits you for about a 40-50 foot drop headed into 12 and a 15-20 foot concrete wall…down the front stretch and around you go again.

If it were me, I would not second guess a trip to Barber. You will love it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
Completely different tracks.

Barber is like a nice Sunday drive. New technology surface. Gradual, but fun elevation change. Good speed. The track is beautiful in every aspect…almost an outdoor art museum…and they have an actual automotive/motorcycle museum. It is my favorite track.

RA is just raw kick your ass, nut in your throat bring your A-game. 120-160MPH (depending on car) down the back stretch to a gut wrenching hard 90 left turn into 10A through 10B up the hill into 11 under the bridge where you are literally looking directly into the sky when the ground exits you for about a 40-50 foot drop headed into 12 and a 15-20 foot concrete wall…down the front stretch and around you go again.

If it were me, I would not second guess a trip to Barber. You will love it.
That was helpful. Thank you

I heard Road Atlanta was technical, but that was a good description. I have spent some time driving off the course in games. A classroom instructor at Mid-Ohio talked about how dangerous RA can be, which is why I asked the question. I love a challenge (Mid Ohio is 140+ on the back straight into a downhill 90 degree right-hander (china beach) at 60 mph and immediately into an uphill left. The technical requirements are a lot of fun.

I like the idea of a comprehensive trip with the museum (one of the reasons I looked at NCM). My dad lives north of Atlanta, so RA is 1.5 hrs and Barber 2

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
You will like both. I would say Barber is more forgiving than RA. Each track has it's own entertainment factor. I'll admit, first session at RA sacred the hell out of me...I just didn't know what to expect and at the point when I went there, I had graduated from having instructors in the car with me so I was on my own. I have since learned to ask a veteran to ride with me at new tracks. Sometimes they will, sometimes they wont. Some people just don't trust the vintage cars to be safe enough for their tastes so they wont ride in my car. However, most will generally do a lead follow which can also be beneficial.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
For me it is a toss up between NCM and Barber. I would go to Barber over RA for your stated objective. It is much more forgiving, but still a lot of fun. RA the first time is pretty intimidating and I have seen more carnage there even in beginner groups.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Stapler you cracked me up with your description of the two tracks , you made Barber seem like just tooling around the asphalt, stopping to take a pee, whereas Road Atlanta loaded up your tighty whities with brown streaks. Actually that is right , isn't it.

Go to Barber first, RA is one of my favorite tracks in the World, but if you are fresh to HPDEs, Barber is one of the best places to go. With all the other stuff there, it also is 5 Stars for a father/son get away.

I will give you some kudos for starting at Mid Ohio , another great track with some insidiously sneaky tricks thrown in for unwary drivers.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
@Bill Pemberton That pretty much sums it up…🤣

If you are new to road racing or open track, I would save RA. It definitely has to be on the list, but later…and you better eat your damn Wheaties the morning of.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
Go to Barber first, RA is one of my favorite tracks in the World, but if you are fresh to HPDEs, Barber is one of the best places to go. With all the other stuff there, it also is 5 Stars for a father/son get away.

I will give you some kudos for starting at Mid Ohio , another great track with some insidiously sneaky tricks thrown in for unwary drivers.
Mid-Ohio is fun. I also heard a lot about how technical it is during their driving school, as well as at an HPDE. The funny thing about learning is that if training starts on “harder” things, that is all you know, so you never approach it as “harder”. It s just a thing to learn.

I picked up some very good tips from the instructor in the car with me about throttle control to initiate weight transfer to the front to facilitate turn-in or braking at specific points while driving.

Learning vehicle dynamics is really interesting stuff, rather than just thinking “accelerate-brake-turn-accelerate” to get around in a car (on the street or track).

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
I learned to race at Road Atlanta. have seen the track from the mid 90s and the "dip" where you would aim and be inches off the inside wall post of the bridge to make 11 and 12 to the current 10a/b (I was a real fan of the dip and have had multiple track records there). I have over 10,000 laps there so it is def my favorite track. If you need help with it, PM me and I can walk you through every bump, turn in, etc to make it your favorite too.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
Charlotte is not a very far drive either, if you like rovals. I'm not a huge fan of the infield with all the off-camber corners, but it's still fun to experience the roval. Road Atlanta is not such a monster if you're reasonable / know your limits. It's a very flowing track with (Mostly) nicely cambered corners. It's the best roller coaster track out there, my home track, and my favorite. By far.

The best place to get your powertrain worked on is Moe's Speedshop in Dallas GA. Full dyno shop, very professional.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
I learned to race at Road Atlanta. have seen the track from the mid 90s and the "dip" where you would aim and be inches off the inside wall post of the bridge to make 11 and 12 to the current 10a/b (I was a real fan of the dip and have had multiple track records there). I have over 10,000 laps there so it is def my favorite track. If you need help with it, PM me and I can walk you through every bump, turn in, etc to make it your favorite too.
When the time comes.

My dad is a Vette guy from his younger days, so NCM won out in the 3-way Road Atlanta-Barber-National Corvette Museum deliberation. 2 days with NASA scheduled 3/26-27 and 2 days with Chin scheduled 4/23-24 (then back to Mid-Ohio in early and late May).

TMO Supporting Vendors