The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MP numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikings138

Union Boss LS 211
NY
Ok i am hearing many different things about these MP numbers. I am the owner of #1043 race red boss 302. I wanted a Laguna Seca. I could not find one at a reasonable price. Now I have a deal in place to trade my boss plus $5000 to get a Laguna. But it does not have a LS___ #. It has a MP __#. Are these more or less collectable, desirable?

Hi and welcome to BMO. I believe the MP stands for Manufacturer Prototype and I have no idea if they will be more collectible. I'd bet the car has been beat on pretty hard though. Good luck.

vikings138

Union Boss LS 211
NY
I am sure they did test out what it could do. I contacted the original dealer and talked to them about the car. The service guy remembered the car and gave me a record of everything that was done to the car. Tires and brakes etc. it was never cashed of wrecked, but it has been on the track and raced. But isn't that what they were build for? I love mine but it not a Laguna!

vikings138

Union Boss LS 211
NY
Ok I respect your view point. But there are a couple of points to the oppistie view point. First I talked to ford SVT divison and they told me that in fact they are production cars, but pre public production. Meaning that the Mp numbered cars were built and numbered before the cars that were produced that were going to be sold to the general public. Most of the MP numbered cars were crushed because they were not be sold to the public. Some were given to Ford Excs, this is what I was told. The service manager who had the work preformed on this car gave me a copy of everything that was done to it. He also told me that everytime it came back to them they brought it back to brand new condition. Like the tires once they had any wear on them they changed them.As we know they smoked the tires! He told me this was the car that beat up on the Camero in some magizine. I have not found that one. Road and track shows MP 0016. Anyway bottom line is, that this is a Boss 302 Laguna Seca produced car, period. They are all documented, this one has a history. A nice story. It is not a time capsule car. Is it worth more? Who really cares? Laguna's are worth more than regular Boss's to some. We know they made less at the very least.

My opinion is just that, mine, you have to do what you feel comfortable with. Your info on the cars matches the info that Jim Owens told me last year. Only cars that can be fixed like new would be sold. I personally would not be happy with a MP car unless I got it very cheap but that is me. It would make for a nice conversation piece at the local shows I guess.

Still the fact is that this is a used car you are paying full price or more for. If you keep your eyes open you may just find a regular production LS for sale used at a better deal, I have seen a few of them already.

Boss3o2

vikings138 said:
Are these more or less collectable, desirable?

vikings138 said:
They are all documented, this one has a history. A nice story. It is not a time capsule car. Is it worth more? Who really cares? Laguna's are worth more than regular Boss's to some. We know they made less at the very least.

You asked a question, which guys like Scott were nice enough to take time & give you there honest opinions. Sounds like you already have your mind made up, so pull the trigger and post up some pics! :)

vikings138

Union Boss LS 211
NY
Update!!! I went to look at this Mp0019 Laguna. It Looked nice , But man they beat the hell out of her!
You could just tell. The tires shot, the brakes worn, rotors shot, ( they turned them down in front of me)big deal should replace, i looked under it when it was on the lift, tranny was replaced, some surface rust and things looked old. it broke traction, e-brake was loose, It was just beat! Now i know why they crushed most of the MP cars! Well, they missed one!! Here is the kicker.... I went to the info settings of the car and the Avg MPG was...... 6.2 MPG!!!
I guess they did test it. I would not have traded it for my car even if they gave me 5k!
The dealer should have replaced all the worn out parts I don't care how much they had to spend! that car deserves to be 100% Not like it is now!
STAY AWAY FROM MP0019!
my search contuines.

Assuming there are no issues titling it, I can see it being pretty collectable to the right buyer down the road. If they would return it to factory condition and give a full 3/5 warranty on it, I would do it. But I like stuff like that, one offs. Price would have to be adjusted since it is used.

On the other hand, it would be hard to sell to most people. Only someone who wants a pre-production one would want it. But if you found that guy, it would be a big boost.

Boss3o2

vikings138 said:
Update!!! I went to look at this Mp0019 Laguna. It Looked nice , But man they beat the hell out of her!
You could just tell. The tires shot, the brakes worn, rotors shot, ( they turned them down in front of me)big deal should replace, i looked under it when it was on the lift, tranny was replaced, some surface rust and things looked old. it broke traction, e-brake was loose, It was just beat! Now i know why they crushed most of the MP cars! Well, they missed one!! Here is the kicker.... I went to the info settings of the car and the Avg MPG was...... 6.2 MPG!!!
I guess they did test it. I would not have traded it for my car even if they gave me 5k!
The dealer should have replaced all the worn out parts I don't care how much they had to spend! that car deserves to be 100% Not like it is now!
STAY AWAY FROM MP0019!
my search contuines.

Isn't this what everyone was trying to warn you about? lol :p

Think about it. You work for some type of Media, and an MFG. gives you the keys with the main stipulation of " Have fun, and tell us what you think ". You think they are going to try and conserve gas, and preserve the tires? These cars see far more abuse, then your average rental car would ever go through. I would bet that this MP Boss has been jumped, off-roaded, reverse gear launched, ran with 87 low octane fuel, drifted etc...

Eric

Boss3o2 said:
Isn't this what everyone was trying to warn you about? lol :p

Think about it. You work for some type of Media, and an MFG. gives you the keys with the main stipulation of " Have fun, and tell us what you think ". You think they are going to try and conserve gas, and preserve the tires? These cars see far more abuse, then your average rental car would ever go through. I would bet that this MP Boss has been jumped, off-roaded, reverse gear launched, ran with 87 low octane fuel, drifted etc...

Eric

Eric, I agree with you that many of these cars have been driven extremely hard but based on some of the MP and PP cars that I have looked at I do not see that being the case in all occasions. There is no question that the TT or Tooling Tryout cars were driven the hardest and were all ultimately destroyed whereas the MP or Mass Production cars and the PP or Pilot Production cars were all treated differently. Not all of these cars were subjected to extreme abuse with some of them being used by Ford executives as daily drivers and some of them were used as show cars or cars shown by the Ford marketing people at various events. I recently looked at MP002 which is a 2013 Black LS and when I looked at this 3788 mile car it looked to be in very nice shape based on wheel/tire condition, brakes and paint. In the case of PP0001 which is an October 2010 Black LS build, I purchased this car based not only the condition and low mileage of the car but most importantly knowing that I have the first Pilot Production Boss in over 40 years. Whether PP0001 is worth more of less than the other 2 Laguna Seca cars that I own is not an issue. When I purchased PP0001 it had 632 miles and I almost have 800 miles on it and I will continue to enjoy driving this LS Boss just as I have the other Boss cars I have owned.

So far, I have found a total of 12 TT, 12 PP, and 27 MP 2012 Boss 302's. The first TT car was built on September 8, 2010. The first PP was built on October 25, 2010. The first MP was built on December 8, 2010. There were 3 Black LS's built in October 2010. Vin ending with a 5 was built on the 25th. Vin ending with a 6 was built on the 26th. Vin ending with a 2 was built on the 27th.

I haven't had a chance to look up the 2013 TT, PP, and MP cars yet, but I have been in a couple of them.

I do have some info on the above 2012 TT, PP, and MP Boss's.

jmbboss302 said:
So far, I have found a total of 12 TT, 12 PP, and 27 MP 2012 Boss 302's. The first TT car was built on September 8, 2010. The first PP was built on October 25, 2010. The first MP was built on December 8, 2010. There were 3 Black LS's built in October 2010. Vin ending with a 5 was built on the 25th. Vin ending with a 6 was built on the 26th. Vin ending with a 2 was built on the 27th.

I haven't had a chance to look up the 2013 TT, PP, and MP cars yet, but I have been in a couple of them.

I do have some info on the above 2012 TT, PP, and MP Boss's.

Thanks for the above information.

The vehicle sequence number for PP0001 is 5199915 and it is interesting that Ford used a vehicle sequence number for this car that can be read from front to back or back to front with this the vehicle sequence number remaining the same when read either way. Probably not done intentional but still interesting the way it worked out.

A couple of the noted changes for the above car are the size and the design of the front splitter on this car compared to my other 2012 LS #525. The front splitter on PP0001 is much bigger than LS525 so obviously the size and design was changed for the regular production models. The other obvious difference is the rear exhaust tips which are a dull aluminum on PP0001 instead of the chrome ones on the production models. Also the window sticker for PP0001 was not issued until 25 months after this car was built so it obviously was not driven much and sat somewhere for quite some time. The car must have sat outside during this time as the paint has been marked up from bird poop that was allowed to sit and bake into the paint otherwise the cars paint is in nice shape and the car drives well.

:)

Still the fact is that this is a used car you are paying full price or more for. If you keep your eyes open you may just find a regular production LS for sale used at a better deal, I have seen a few of them already.
[/quote]

Keep looking unless you like the unique nature of the MP cars. Just last month the local Toyota dealer in Lewisville TX sold a used LS with around 1500 miles for $40K. Deals are out there.

Polaristxguy said:

Keep looking unless you like the unique nature of the MP cars. Just last month the local Toyota dealer in Lewisville TX sold a used LS with around 1500 miles for $40K. Deals are out there.

I agree that there are some very good deals out there for an LS Boss and your example is certainly a great example of a very good deal on an LS Boss car. Keep in mind that there are some very good deals on the MP cars as well and it is just a matter of negotiating a price that you are happy with. Whether you are looking for a regular production LS or an MP LS either one can be negotiated to a good price based on being at the right price at the right time. Cash talks and just be ready to pull the trigger when the opportunity presents itself.

;)

TMO Supporting Vendors