The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MPH delay on smartphone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey - I know that many of you run Harry's Lap timer, and I wondered if the MPH reported on the iPhone is delayed. I have an AIM Solo and GoPro mounted to my roll bar, and want to mount my iPhone on the dash to capture real-time MPH in the video. I downloaded a GPS speedometer app (not Harry's Lap Timer) and notice that there can be a considerable delay in the MPH shown on the phone. On Harry's web page sample vids, I noticed this difference between the car's speedometer and the sample vid, suggesting that the MPH reported on the phone is not really synced with the car.

What is your experience? Is this delay the nature of GPS smartphones?

Thanks,
TS

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
tetstang said:
Hey - I know that many of you run Harry's Lap timer, and I wondered if the MPH reported on the iPhone is delayed. I have an AIM Solo and GoPro mounted to my roll bar, and want to mount my iPhone on the dash to capture real-time MPH in the video. I downloaded a GPS speedometer app (not Harry's Lap Timer) and notice that there can be a considerable delay in the MPH shown on the phone. On Harry's web page sample vids, I noticed this difference between the car's speedometer and the sample vid, suggesting that the MPH reported on the phone is not really synced with the car.

What is your experience? Is this delay the nature of GPS smartphones?

Thanks,
TS
I've been using track addict with iPhone 6 and the sync was perfect until I upgraded to an iPhone 7.
Now it seems to have multiple problems. Not sure if something went wrong with the upgrade or if it's something with the new software. Which version iPhone are you using?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I wonder if it's related to the new software?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Mine too, guess that's why ours don't work :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Then again, maybe it has nothing to do with it.
But, I have heard of folks having similar problems with the upgrade and timing software.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The phone's GPS sample rate is low. Once per second IIRC. An external GPS can increase the rate ten-fold, if memory serves. That's the main cause for delay in the data captured.

Even with an external GPS, I still get noticeable delay on my MPH info and Tach. Seems like a small delay in getting the info (from internal or external source) into the app causes a lag. iPhone 6, Dual XGPS 160 and GoPoint OBDII.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Grant 302 said:
The phone's GPS sample rate is low. Once per second IIRC. An external GPS can increase the rate ten-fold, if memory serves. That's the main cause for delay in the data captured.
I have that problem with my samsung s5. Gps speed is always off as the cpu tries to process the info from rhe less then speedy gps. Steady state readings are fine but the more they vary,the bigger the delay. I just use the obd speed and then correct the data to the rpm taking into account gearing and tire size. Works fine as long as you assume the pcm rpm data is good!

Lap times are really close to transponder times though. Seldom more then 0.05s off with trackaddict

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel