The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MRT Splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui
Well just got the MRT splitter installed...Much shorter than the Laguna Seca Splitter and also the World Challenge splitter...In fact it's the same size as the stock boss splitter (see pix below). Originally was trying to get the world challenge splitter but no place could ship to Maui.. Unbelievable.. Anyway got mine at sliver horse racing for a good shipping price. MRT of course sells it for a great price... I'm not to sure if it functionally makes a difference since it's the same size as the stock splitter, but I like the look with the spindles.. It's a straight install, just remove the bottom stock splitter and the new splitter goes on through push pins... Not planning to really track the car so I think I'll be ok. Though I've been told by MRT, the splitter has done fine at the track with just push pins...

536566_10150931266213704_467853789_n.jpg

197686_10150931265968704_744765626_n.jpg

536080_10150931266073704_580538703_9703896_2109836731_n.jpg

556410_10150931266098704_580538703_9703897_965608805_n.jpg

380329_10150931266143704_1546930725_n.jpg

552858_10150931266168704_344679524_n.jpg

Looks good, it is about the same size as the homemade splitter I had on mine. Lots of race cars use shorter splitters and Mark told me mine was fine since it does not matter how far in front it sticks out. He said the height is what counts and the lower the better.

MRT is coming out with some nice things lately, they had this car at the Palm Beach BJ auction but I was unable to get anyone to open the hood.

CIMG2893.png
CIMG2892.png
CIMG2890.png
CIMG2889.png
CIMG2886.png

Maui
5 DOT 0 said:
Looks good. Could you use the original hardware if you wanted to? If not are the stock screws too short? How do the struts mount to the bumper? Do you install a brace behind the bumper?

Good luck with the MGW install.

I think you can use the stock screws.. I asked MRT that question and they recommended using the push pins, but said you could probably use the screws. The stock splitter is attached mostly by screws, but there are push pins there as well. I don't think the screws would be too short, I was almost tempted to try.. I ended up following their directions and used push pins. If you use the push pins, you also need to remove the metal clips from the lower facia that the bolts from the original splitter attached to. Otherwise you won't be able to insert the push pins very well.

The spindles mount to the top of the facia via 2 plastlc pieces (no bracket).. you just pop out those stock rubber grommets out of the facia and you can insert those plastic pieces and bolt on the spindles.. It's not necessary to to remove the lower facia

2012boss said:
are the hood vents from MRT? I can't find them on their site anywhere.

They look too small to be the 2013 Boss hood louvers, even though they are the same number of louvers and the flange of the louver sticks up above the hood, as if someone installed 2013 Boss louvers. The write up on the car says they are MRT. I beleive it states that it is a MRT custom hood with heat extractors?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
that is great I would go that route if it is no lower than the stock one for the look. can you get a measurement of it for ground clearance?

Maui
boss2511 said:
that is great I would go that route if it is no lower than the stock one for the look. can you get a measurement of it for ground clearance?

The mrt splitter sits 6.5 inches from the ground. It should not be any different than stock.. If you look at the side by side comparison of my photo above, the new splitter is pretty much the same size as the old stock splitter. this modification seems more for the looks...

Jeff

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
808Boss said:
boss2511 said:

The mrt splitter sits 6.5 inches from the ground. It should not be any different than stock.. If you look at the side by side comparison of my photo above, the new splitter is pretty much the same size as the old stock splitter. this modification seems more for the looks...

Jeff
ok thanks wasnt sure if it hung down any lower or not.

for me on the MRT splitter I used the stock screws becuase the push pins did not want to line up right and had a hard time using them, removed the metal speed clips and it still did not want to line up. Put the clips back in and used the stock screws and every thing lined up just fine, I like the screws I also used a little blue lock tight to make sure they would not back out. :D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel