The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT-82: Durability w/McLeod RXT Clutch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all,

I recently installed a Mcleod RXT twin-disc in my 2012 Boss 302. I’m very happy with the much improved engage/disengage at high rpm and easier shifting. No issues with driveability – some adjustments to my driving style when pulling away from a stop and it’s smooth enough.

I'm wondering what effect the un-sprung clutch discs in the RXT will have on the rest of the drivetrain. I did not fully understand how the hub springs in a typical clutch disc dampen engine pulses to reduce shock & harmonics through the drivetrain until recently.

With the RXT clutch my car makes the well-known rattling noise between 1,400 and 1,800 RPM (clutch out, under almost any load but not when coasting or decel), and I notice some increased gear whine from the trans as well. Trans is on poly mounts and I heard some whine already prior to the clutch swap. Have the original MT-82 with 30k miles, and an aluminum driveshaft.

Can anyone speak to the long-term durability (or lack thereof) of this setup? Should I be concerned about tearing up the input shaft or internals of the trans? The rear end? I will be using the car for canyon road fun, track days at Sonoma, Thunderhill, Laguna Seca (driving to and from events, no trailer) and some weekend cruising. Experience from anyone who’s run this clutch longer term would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

@GBoss7500 welcome to TMO. I had the RXT in my 2012 Boss 302 and I recommend the RST for a street and track driven car. I had no issues with the RXT and it solved my shifting issues. There have been a couple of failures from members that track and drive their cars hard. For the most part they have been a nice upgrade.

Thanks guys.

Yeah the roads out here are fantastic...when there's no traffic.

I messaged Calimer and he didn't think the unsprung discs are a durability issue, but cautioned that the RXT can break 3rd or 4th if shifted hard, since it bites so strong. Sounds like he recommends RST instead.

If anyone has other opinions and experience I'm all ears.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I've also run the RXT in a race application and one of them broke a pressure plate; I'm switching to an Exedy Hyper Single later this year.
Clutch itself shouldn't impact durability of the trans much, as long as you are proficient with your rev-matching on downshifts.

I went with the Exedy Stage 1 because I wanted the absorption characteristics of the stock clutch and pedal characteristics approaching those of the stock clutch, but wanted a clutch that would withstand track duty (my stock clutch threw one of those springs and locked up as a result).

I'm quite happy with the result. Of course, I can't know about the durability until I've got a lot more track time on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes, stock clutch spring cage failure is one of the most common reasons we see for locked clutches. Shouldn't be a problem on aftermarket clutches (at least, we haven't heard repeated reports of this happening on aftermarket clutches).

What's the pedal pressure like with the Exedy Stage 1?

Somewhat higher than stock, enough to be noticeable if you're used to the stock pressure, but not massively so. Say, 20% greater.

The hydraulic clutch on these cars is smooth enough that the higher effort isn't bothersome at all once you get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors