The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT 82 Popping out of 2nd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troubles.... Driving home from the movies last night, I downshifted into 2nd, made a right turn and it popped out of 2nd. Thought it was me, then it happened again a mile down the road. Now it won't stay in 2nd at all. Synchro or trans? input anyone?

Your drivetrain is still under warranty so let your dealer figure it out. Unfortunately yours is not the first one to do this.

gsw166 said:
Thanks,,, do you think I should remove the Blowfish bracket?

If it was me, I would take it off and I have a great relationship with my dealer too. I just wouldn't want them to be put under the pressure of possibly having to deny warranty even though we know the bracket did not cause the issue.

Thanks, that was my thought exactly, I will take it off this weekend, car goes in on Monday.

gsw166 said:
Troubles.... Driving home from the movies last night, I downshifted into 2nd, made a right turn and it popped out of 2nd. Thought it was me, then it happened again a mile down the road. Now it won't stay in 2nd at all. Synchro or trans? input anyone?

I agree with the other guys its under warranty you should be fine but remove the blowfish bracket first.. I know that's easier said than done.

Alternately, remove the trans and have it rebuilt by Liberty. for about $1500 they will put all new hardware in and upgrade the trans so its much better shifting, stronger, and less likely to wipe out the syncros. I believe starting in 2013 MY Ford removed the second syncro in 5th gear as a cost save. I've seen several of those get wiped out on 2013+ MT82's from idiotic slamma jam 4th to 5th gear shifts.

Its a great trans, light weight and strong - if you are staying NA no reason for a Magnum IMO.

:mad: :mad: Dealer just called and said it is not under warranty, :mad: :mad: I guess you are not supposed to drive these cars hard.
Can you get the the Liberty info please.

thanks

They said 2nd gear is gone "you must have been racing it" dammit they sold me a car with racing stripes, what was i thinking. ..lol. never had a problem with 1-2 shift.
He said he will get me prices. I think I should go over his head or to to Ford.

gsw166 said:
They said 2nd gear is gone "you must have been racing it" dammit they sold me a car with racing stripes, what was i thinking. ..lol. never had a problem with 1-2 shift.
He said he will get me prices. I think I should go over his head or to to Ford.
Yes or find another dealer. There have been enough problems with these transmissions that they shouldn't even question this.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Always call Ford if the Dealer denies warranty. If they think they won't make money on a repair they won't even put it in. Margin for trans swap or repair from Ford must not be good under warranty, you can bet they will make money if you are the one paying them instead.
Good luck with it. If you find a trans swapping it isn't that difficult.
Steve

Ford pretty much told me to go pound sand, vehicle shows signs of abuse. $3800 to replace it

waiting on a call back from Liberty

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
gsw166 said:
Ford pretty much told me to go pound sand, vehicle shows signs of abuse. $3800 to replace it

waiting on a call back from Liberty

Contact Deysha aka 'Ford Service' on SVTP or TMS. She should be able to help. Doesn't sound like you used your car for competition or 'abused' the car. Start a couple of your own threads on those sites if you need to. If you're all stock, I don't see why you shouldn't be covered.

I had the TSB done on my 13 and while in the shop, I showed the service manager the blowfish bracket. He told me I SHOULD buy one and they would install it when the trans got put back in. My synchros, plate bearings and fork had to be replaced. I didnt get the bracket yet, but will in the spring. Shifts like butter now.

Update.
It is scheduled to go to another dealer on Monday, I talked to the tech there and he is aware of the issues and said no problems on the warranty. First dealer, their reason for abuse claim is the rear tires have less tread than the front. Michelin PSS come that way, Haha. Second person (Trina) I spoke to at Ford was awesome, she called the first dealer and explained that and they stuck to their idiot conclusion.

I will talk to the tech about installing the Blowfish bracket as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors