The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT-82 strengths and weaknesses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Well I had clutch sticking to the floor wouldn't go in third. Tried all the band aid fixes. Nothing worked. Clutch line upgrade included(waste of money made it worse). Got centerforce dyad clutch problems went away. Now running a McLeod am still no problems shifting at all ever.

IMO the lockout issue is the flaw of the remote shifter design and a twin post mount and good motor mounts will cure this issue. The lack of centering springs in the shifter make it hard to find third so a shifter will improve this.

List of what didn't work for me in clutch sticking to the floor:
Clutch line JHR version
Dot 4 fluid
Removing the assist spring
Bbr motor mounts

What cured it:
Twin disc clutch from centerforce

McLeod is working great too

My opinion on spec clutches - they are junk. Those running them seem to still have issues and the puck design and harsh engagement are destroying third and fourth gear clusters

Had one in a previous mustang lasted two months.,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Justin said:
IMO the lockout issue is the flaw of the remote shifter design and a twin post mount and good motor mounts will cure this issue. The lack of centering springs in the shifter make it hard to find third so a shifter will improve this.
^THIS. the clutch pedal getting stuck to the floor is a separate issue from gear lockout.

Justin said:
My opinion on spec clutches - they are junk. Those running them seem to still have issues and the puck design and harsh engagement are destroying third and fourth gear clusters

I have the spec stage 1 and find it to be a great clutch. no engagement chatter, not too heavy on the pedal and doesn't have any neutral rattling like some of the twin discs. $600 for a clutch and aluminum flywheel is really hard to beat, as well. i just got pricing on a new oe boss flywheel and clutch and they are nearly the same price!

guys i have no experience on clutches ...

Can you guide me on how to choose which clutch ??

And When to change to an aftermarket slave cylinder ?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you are looking for someone to rebuild and harden your MT82, there is a guy "Ben Calimer" on Facebook that does them. That's what I'm planning to do with mine if it takes a dump.

Clutch is a big part of mis-shifting stuff, plus mis-shifts may damage the transmission itself (synchros as Steve mentioned), so if you've jagged up the trans before going to an aftermarket clutch, you may still have some lingering shifting issues.
My car was vastly improved with the McLeod RXT.
Solid motor mounts made the shifts basically rock solid. The only issues I have are from my own poor timing now.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel