The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT -82 transmission cooler setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally got my transmission cooler setup completed. took most of the day making hoses, mounting the pump and wiring up a relay. Used the same toggle switch that the diff cooler is on. Maybe will add separate swiches if I do a radio blank off switch panel down the line.

Used the FR 500 power steering cooler as the matrix, -8 AN lines and fittings for fluid transfer and Tilton lube pump.
photo115_zps04cfa168.jpg
photo114_zpsb18bd8be.jpg
photo215_zps7d954b57.jpg
photo39_zpse6feb00e.jpg
photo113_zpsf390304e.jpg
photo214_zps280b4f7a.jpg

Also added my Speedway Motorsports Nomex radiator protector. That stuff is awesome, definitely bulletproof protection.
photo216_zpsa40cca2d.jpg

I am on track Friday and Saturday at Lime Rock so I will see how temperatures at the trans are.

Steve

So, curious minds want to know what you're replacing the cooler with?
Maybe you're doing a trans swap to a DCT?
Do tell!!

Just went back to drifting (from whence I came) and it doesn’t generate much trans heat. Too nice a piece of kit to haul around and not use. Took quite a while to figure out so would like it to find another home where it’s needed.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
Also for anyone interested in a turn key MT82 trans cooler for s550 I’m selling mine. Setrab fanpack, Marco pump, 8an lines with fire sleeve, trans temp gauge, and brackets to mount cooler in RF fender well. PM me if interested.

Do you by chance have pics of how your transmission cooler pump was set up? Was a relay used or just a switched 12V source? Thanks

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I used a relay on my trans cooler pump. 6 amp draw. I used a small rocker switch in the console to a relay in the engine compartment. Relays can be intimidating, until you set up the first. Fairly simple, five wire 4 which you will use.

A2B45F85-8301-4481-95F7-14EEA1D5D703.jpeg

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
I used a relay on my trans cooler pump. 6 amp draw. I used a small rocker switch in the console to a relay in the engine compartment. Relays can be intimidating, until you set up the first. Fairly simple, five wire 4 which you will use.

View attachment 82802

Thank you. I have a Setrab external fluid pump which only has a 2.5A draw. I‘m familiar with wiring up relays, I was just wondering if one would be needed for a pump with such a low amp draw? Which brand of relay is that you’re using there?

@NGOT8R If you don't use a relay you will have to size all switches etc to 2.5 amps, actually slightly higher. It's much easier to use a relay so you can size the rocker/toggle switch to the coil on the relay which is nothing amperage wise.

I would use a relay, but it can be done without one. Not sure how much amperage a typical switch can hold.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
@NGOT8R If you don't use a relay you will have to size all switches etc to 2.5 amps, actually slightly higher. It's much easier to use a relay so you can size the rocker/toggle switch to the coil on the relay which is nothing amperage wise.

I would use a relay, but it can be done without one. Not sure how much amperage a typical switch can hold.
Okay, I’ll use a relay.Thank you.

Do you by chance have pics of how your transmission cooler pump was set up? Was a relay used or just a switched 12V source? Thanks

My cooler pump is on a relay. I got a micro relay fuse box kit and built it how I wanted it with both constant and switched power to various relays for my trans cooler, diff cooler, and aux fuel pump. Put it in the glove box, works great. Switches where the radio used to be.

AB6B9FCC-68C7-45A8-B0CC-FE948E762749.jpeg

C57C0391-DA5D-477D-8CB4-631071731266.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Langley, BC
Just found your build thread specs!

reposting to this thread, thanks:

Pump: Marco UP3 12v gear oil pump
Cooler: Setrab Series 1 Fanpack (there's only one this size)
Filter: Sebrab Magnetic pump pre filter Inline 8an (can be disassembled and cleaned)
Hose: Whatever you like, I used Improved Racing 8an nylon with their fire sleeve. 13' of hose and 13' of fire sleeve is perfect with a foot or two left over.
Fittings:
  • Pump Fittings: 3/8BSP to 8an (Improved racing has two versions, you need part # BSP38AN8 to clear the pump head)
  • Trans Drain/Suck Port: Vibrant Racing M16 x 1.5 to 8an Banjo fitting
  • Trans Fill/Return Port: M16 x 1.5 straight adapter
  • Trans suck port hose end fittings: Banjo mentioned above > 8an 90* female union > filter mentioned above > 8an 90* swivel hose end
  • Cooler inlet hose end (from trans suck port): 8an straight hose end > improved 1/8 npt sensor port fitting # TR-08-02-A > 8an 90* female union > Setrab M22 x 8an cooler fitting
  • Cooler to pump hose: M22 x 8an setrab cooler fitting > 90* swivel 8an hose end > 90* swivel 8an hose end
  • Pump outlet to trans return: 120* swivel 8an hose end > 90* swivel 8an hose end

TMO Supporting Vendors