The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82-D4 Parts List/Schematic Required

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone have a parts list and or schematic for the MT82-D4 Getrag transmission?
Need 3rd Gear Contershaft, 3rd Gear Mainshaft.
Thanks in advance
You can order a short term subscription from Ford and save all the pdfs from the factory manuals for very little cost. Then you can figure out what parts are needed for the change and look them on online.

There’s a guy trying to rebuild his own over on m6g and fractured a few gears pressing them off the main/counterhsafts can’t remember which. Maybe his technique wasn’t spot on or they’re hard to remove without damaging.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
There’s a guy trying to rebuild his own over on m6g and fractured a few gears pressing them off the main/counterhsafts can’t remember which. Maybe his technique wasn’t spot on or they’re hard to remove without damaging.
The guy that rebuilt my MT82 is a Tremec guy but he does MT82s though he is not a fan of the MT82 at all, which is understandable. He told me he uses a 50 ton press to disassemble those parts, and it's critical to keep everything perfectly aligned. Most trans shops I called before him said they wouldn't touch it. Two years on this rebuild now and still going well, though much of that I think is due to a good racing clutch. The rebuild guy used Syncrotech parts internally and they seem to help a lot. IMHO, the stock clutch is what starts all the problems with the trans and once it starts the trans needs a rebuild. If you're going to take your car to the track and push it hard, you need a good racing clutch.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I paid $3,795 for the Magnum XL swap kit with bell housing and trans mount. You still need a driveshaft and some electrical connections. It can be done for less than $5,000 excluding a clutch, which I consider a wash since you are buying a clutch either way.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
I have 70k miles on my stock mt82 and still working with a little grinding sometimes in hot driving conditions here in Phoenix. My clutch is starting to vibrate in the pedal, So I thought a fully upgraded one should last longer and yes, a little less expensive than the swap. I am replacing the clutch with Exedy Hyper single, MGW shifter and a custom aluminum drive shaft. which should shave about 25lbs too.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
@Scootsmcgreggor, that guy is me. I believe your comment is pretty accurate regarding the cause of my fractured gears.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
Yes, You are correct. I need 3rd Gear Countershaft.
@Mr T, did you ever get the part number for the countershaft 3rd gear? If not, here you go.

JR3Z-7101-B Gear - Countershaft 3rd Speed
JR3Z-7101-A Gear - Mainshaft 3rd Speed

Last edited:

Can't speak to the D4 but I rebuilt my own MT82, with success lol. 5th and 6th gear have to be pressed off, and yeah it takes a 50 ton press, 20 ton doesn't come close. As far as damaging/cracking the gears I didn't have an issue. Ha e to get them off to replace the 3rd/4th gear synchros.

I used Alldata as a reference to rebuild it, worked well.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Debating tearing into my spare mt82-d4 which I broke the 3/4 shift fork on.

I've stumbled upon the reference manuals if you'd like a looksie, just ask.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
The guy that rebuilt mine told me up front about the loads in that pressing operation, said it was not unusual for carnage to result, but he got them off without damaging the shaft. He hates the mt-82, he's a tremec guy but he is the only guy I could find that would touch it. Mostly builds drag car stuff so he knows the loads.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel