The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 Fluid Change using the gravity method

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This afternoon I banged out another maintenance item when I changed the fluid in the MT82 6 Speed Manual. The fluid that came out at 10k miles looked great and yeah it smelled a little funky. Not horrible like a lot of posters said. It's just different. Not as bad as like hypoid gear oil IMO.

Instead of pumping the fluid in, I bought a six foot section of 7/16" clear tubing which I connected to a vintage Coleman lantern funnel. I snaked the tubing down and into the fill hole. The funnel end I hooked to a hole in the hood with a very small bungie cord. It worked great. Before I started I dumped out 8 oz of fluid from one bottle so I ended up with 2.75 quarts of fluid. I used the stock stuff called out in the manual because my MT82 works incredibly well. I will likely try Redline MTL at some point but for now this is working very well for me.

To help things along I had the fluid on my black toolbox on my truck all day warming up. It was 70* today. ;D

The plugs use an 8mm allen wrench. There's not enough room to use my 8mm hex "socket."

Feb52012AfternnonMT82005.jpg

Feb52012AfternnonMT82007.jpg

Feb52012AfternnonMT82008.jpg

CaliMR said:
Looks like your tranny is on an IV ;D

More like doping it's blood for competition! The method worked well, but it takes some time for the fluid to flow through the funnel and tubing. It was not my idea, I stood on the shoulders of giants. Speaking of the Giants, they need to start stepping up!

I'm trying to make it to the Shelby American 50th Anniversary Bash next month and there's a couple of days at the track involved. If I do go I'd like to get as much maintenance done in advance as possible.

I heard last year there was a line of Shelbys well over 100 cars long making the trip from LA to Vegas. I wanna go! Plus the old chicken farmer isn't going to live forever. I've been a big fan of his for what seems like forever.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/forum/283-shelby-american-50th-anniversary-bash/

Random pics from Google.
shelby-bash.jpg

shelby-bash.jpg

gallery_3_571_19160.jpg

Just verified it's 7/16" OD and 5/16" ID tubing. That's pretty small so you'll need a very small funnel to go with it. I bought 6 feet but you could get away with 4. It's cheap so buy 6.

Fat Boss said:
Just verified it's 7/16" OD and 5/16" ID tubing. That's pretty small so you'll need a very small funnel to go with it. I bought 6 feet but you could get away with 4. It's cheap so buy 6.
Thanks for double checking that size FB, I've got an assortment of funnels and I'll have to check and see if they'll work with the 5/16" ID.

Let me ask a dumb question (I'm good at that). Tonight I removed the fill and drain plugs from my 2012 to refill with Redline MTL. However, I noticed that neither drain nor fill plug has any kind of a metal gasket or rubber O-ring on it (like the engine oil drain plug). I assume they are all like that on the MT82 and mine was not leaking before, so I assume I can just reinsert the factory plugs....but the engineer in me wants to add an aluminum crush washer to at least the drain plug. Have any of you guys done this? Am I worried about nothing? Thanks.

Fat Boss said:
This afternoon I banged out another maintenance item when I changed the fluid in the MT82 6 Speed Manual. The fluid that came out at 10k miles looked great and yeah it smelled a little funky. Not horrible like a lot of posters said. It's just different. Not as bad as like hypoid gear oil IMO.

Instead of pumping the fluid in, I bought a six foot section of 7/16" clear tubing which I connected to a vintage Coleman lantern funnel. I snaked the tubing down and into the fill hole. The funnel end I hooked to a hole in the hood with a very small bungie cord. It worked great. Before I started I dumped out 8 oz of fluid from one bottle so I ended up with 2.75 quarts of fluid. I used the stock stuff called out in the manual because my MT82 works incredibly well. I will likely try Redline MTL at some point but for now this is working very well for me.

To help things along I had the fluid on my black toolbox on my truck all day warming up. It was 70* today. ;D

The plugs use an 8mm allen wrench. There's not enough room to use my 8mm hex "socket."

Feb52012AfternnonMT82005.jpg

Feb52012AfternnonMT82007.jpg

Feb52012AfternnonMT82008.jpg

Hey, Nice post..
I'm also changing my M82 fluid as follows;
1. Drain fluid - no problem..
2. Replace fluid, however, I've only gotten about 1.5 qts. back into the tranny before it starts to dribble at the fill hole. Note that I am using the same fill point as shown in your photo.
-- Any ideas?
Thank in advance..
Lee.

I'm not sure how I missed your question Lee. What did you ever figure out with your problem?

I just took a look at this thread to check how much to put back in prior to changing my fluid again ahead of taking it to Spring Mtn with the Shelby Bash in Vegas this month. I searched and verified the 2.75 QTs here on page 32 http://www.speedproductions.net/media/kunena/attachments/64/Boss_Owners_Manual.pdf

BTW my trans oil that I had swapped in during the documentation of this procedure just came out looking perfect. Not a single itsy bitsy flake of metal of any kind that I could see.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
lbp said:
Hey, Nice post..
I'm also changing my M82 fluid as follows;
1. Drain fluid - no problem..
2. Replace fluid, however, I've only gotten about 1.5 qts. back into the tranny before it starts to dribble at the fill hole. Note that I am using the same fill point as shown in your photo.
-- Any ideas?
Thank in advance..
Lee.
Make sure you have it in neutral. I have read you can't fill the MT 82 when it's in gear. I have changed mine 3 times and I can't remember if I had it in neutral or not.
Steve

Does anyone have a picture or diagram showing what is right behind the circle I've drawn here? It appears as though it's just an open trough to help funnel the fluid out. I'm thinking of drilling and tapping for an 1/8" NPT temp sending unit. On my truck I have a single autometer temp gauge with three sending unit going through a rotary switch. It works great. I have them in the coolant, trans, and diff just like I'd like to do on the Boss.

DrillHere_zps366511d7.jpg

zzyzx

Steve
Anybody using Redline Shockproof Lightweight in the tranny? I've used this before with great success in finicky trannies and intend to use it in the Boss. Just curious if anybody else is using it...

TMO Supporting Vendors