The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 Ford Transmision cooler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Running 20 min sessions in the evening when it's cooler is probably not going to build a massive amount of heat. Running 20 min sessions and sometimes 30 min during the heat of the day doesn't result in any change in shifting in my car. You might want to make sure you're running the best trans fluid you can get though. I use BG products in my driveline but there's also lots of other lubes around that are better than Ford's product. Also change it pretty frequently.
I was looking at adding one of these but I am loath to add any weight at all to this car no matter how little the object weighs. I am just not convinced that for the sessions I run I need one.

Last edited:
Monaca Pa
I know my Transmision gets hot. I started useing BG trans fluid late last season. I have been looking into building a cooler setup like my FTB rear diff cooler. Just looking for easy way out.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I keep thinking that ultimately a Tremec transplant is the only way out, but so far the MT82 is hanging in there, though for how long it will I have no clue! Other than long tubes I have no plans to increase power so maybe it will live a while yet. If you do a cooler please document it and let us know, I don't know of any cooler kits commercially available for the MT82, that would certainly be far cheaper than a Tremec swap.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I keep thinking that ultimately a Tremec transplant is the only way out, but so far the MT82 is hanging in there, though for how long it will I have no clue! Other than long tubes I have no plans to increase power so maybe it will live a while yet. If you do a cooler please document it and let us know, I don't know of any cooler kits commercially available for the MT82, that would certainly be far cheaper than a Tremec swap.

Dont forget that Ben Calimer has a forged MT82 with carbon fiber syncros... Lighter then a tremec and its the tranny that Ford installed on the one-off electric mustang they made (for fun?). Any cooling on the MT82 is a good idea. After installing a temp gauge on the tranny, often saw temps as hot or hotter then the engine oil!!!

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I installed a transmission temp sender and transmission cooler scoop. What would a normal temp and a hot temp be?

With the stock MT82 I had track temps that were higher then the engine!! Over 300 degrees! Setrab 915 and tilson pump dropped that by 50 degrees... Side note: The Ben Calimer Stage 3 Mt82 I use now runs much cooler then the stock (the stage 3 has semi straight cut gears).. Changed out the setrab 915 for a smaller rad and temps are now no higher then 200 degress max. More often around 180.

TMO Supporting Vendors